Mashups: Can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em.

UncleBibby

Mashups: Can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em.

Post by UncleBibby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 am

I've noticed that this forum hasn't been getting much action lately, so I've decided to post a discussion topic about something that's sure to get everyone's blood boiling!

MASHUPS!!!

Here's one I finished a few minutes ago:

So, what's your opinion on 'em? I like 'em, I think they're a very creative and innovative kind of music, but not everyone agrees with me.

I remember visiting a music recording college to figure out whether it was worth taking classes at, and I got an audience with the guy that ran the place. After talking for a bit, I realized that he considered any type of "music-sampling" to be theft, plain and simple. That was one of the main reasons I decided not to go there.

So, as I said before, what's your opinion on mashups?

YES, I REALIZE THAT IT'S HYPOCRITICAL TO APPRECIATE MASHUPS AND SIMULTANEOUSLY REGRET GIVING MY MUSIC A CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE.
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

soultron

Re: Mashups: Can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em.

Post by soultron » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Mashups are simultaneously amzing and horrible and that's why I like them.

MAKE YOURS LONGER.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:35 am

I hate them. I don't know why, they just annoy me so much. I think it's because I always find them to be lesser than the sum of their parts.

I like sampling though. I think if you are taking the original material and making something new with it, that's interesting. But if you are just taking two or more songs and trying to make something that is obviously still those songs, then it's not that great. If that makes any sense.

Coincidentally, I have a lot of respect for Girl Talk, but I don't listen to his music.

THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Lol, aren't mash ups all really horrible ;)

HutzC

Post by HutzC » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I don't actively try to make mashups, but I do have digital tables and like to mess around with what song sound like mixed. Especially very different genres. I stumbled across a cool mix a while back and put it on soundcloud. Not trying to make mashups my thing, just having fun. Thanks Uncle Bibby for making this topic. We shouldn't be afraid to just have fun sometimes.

http://soundcloud.com/3rd-st-basement-dweller/mash