I Am Synth (Has Sano abandoned DS?)

Cfgk24

I Am Synth (Has Sano abandoned DS?)

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 am

A New Synth from Detune Ltd has appeared on the iphone/ipad app store. . . .!

Called 'I Am Synth'

http://www.iosnoops.com/appinfo/i-am-sy ... /510313769

Does this mean no synth for 3ds forthcoming?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: HAS SANO ABANDONED DS?

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:05 pm

No idea, but I think the choice is pretty logical.

- by now many people have an iOS device in the house, many can easily buy products from the App Store
- iOS is more powerful than NDS (with iPod touch having the same price)
- I think Apple takes less of developers' profits than Nintendo. Anyway by selling online you rule out the publisher, the production of the physical production and the distribution logistics.
- Nintendo DS restrictions are really annoying, with the max of 16 saved songs for example. Soundcloud integration / online project sharing like iMS-20 is awesome.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: I Am Synth (Has Sano abandoned DS?)

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:10 pm

btw it runs on iPhone (and iPod?) as well as iPad...

I like the idea of the simplicity, but I can't stand keyboards on touch devices. Like I stated on facebook before:
Many great sounding synthesizers come out for touch screen devices, but it amazes me that so many of them think a piano keyboard is an appropriate choice. It makes no sense. We should not think of touch screens as physical interfaces where one has a physical feedback which we constantly (subconsciously) check on to see if we have placed our hands correctly to hit the right note. I think touch screen synths need something like a slow form of snapping, like automatic sliding towards the closest semi-tone. So when you accidentally hit right in between the note you wanted to touch and another note, you still have a chance to quickly (and naturally, because our brain is very musically intuitive) slide towards the right note. As as positive side-effect: this also gives a nice human effect to playing, it makes the tone less static. I think especially the apps Mugician and its follow up Geo Synth do this very well. On top of that they also use a full screen fretboard, to make the keys even larger. Right?

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 pm

I agree,

I looked at getting a Midi Violin ( I play violin) before but it really only controlled keyboard pitches and thereofr took away al my joy at being able to control pitches accurately with my fingers.

I also agree that ios is probably more numerous and I may look at getting an ipad synth but even ms20 doesn't seem to have as good a sequencer as ds10. . .

I still love the medium and versatility of Korg ds10 - especially when switching screens and decks using the L and R buttons. . . . .

As 3ds is far more powerful and the carts are bigger . . . . .the question remains is that is it economically viable for Sano to produce an upgraded 3ds Korg DS synth?

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 pm

True, the DS-10 interface is magical. But I believe that a very good phone/tablet interface could be made as wel. Hope Detune nails that soon!

bryface

Post by bryface » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:23 am

when I met with Sano in tokyo last October, i asked him if Detune was developing anything for the 3DS. At the time he said that the 3DS wasn't selling that well and that's definitely a factor in whether or not they pursue development.

on top of that, their iApps have been doing pretty well so i'm sure development for iOS takes a fair chunk of Detune's time.

BUT! the 3DS' sales increased dramatically in the last 4 months when they released their big games - i read that the 3DS in its first year managed to beat the original DS's record in number of sales! I hope this means that Detune is reconsidering development for the 3DS -- we'll have to see.

My hope is that there'll be a hybrid product that combines the DS-10's synthesis capabilities with the M01's interface, plus some improved effects options and more features related to live playback. the iApps are all cool but the lack of tactile controls severely limits the precision of the interface. buttons buttons buttons.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Sounds good, but let's be honest, it's time for decent export/sharing functions now....

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm

While I love the DS10+ and prefer it over any of the KORG iOS apps, you have to admit, publishing on the Nintendo DS is a pain. You have to deal with Nintendo licensing (very expensive), region control (remember how DS10+ was never published in Europe?), finding a publisher, and distributors. Whereas on iOS, you just upload your app to iTunes, wait for approval, and it's available worldwide. Take it from me... I'm a game designer and I love Nintendo, but I stick to iOS and Android.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Decktonic wrote:While I love the DS10+ and prefer it over any of the KORG iOS apps, you have to admit, publishing on the Nintendo DS is a pain. You have to deal with Nintendo licensing (very expensive), region control (remember how DS10+ was never published in Europe?), finding a publisher, and distributors. Whereas on iOS, you just upload your app to iTunes, wait for approval, and it's available worldwide. Take it from me... I'm a game designer and I love Nintendo, but I stick to iOS and Android.
Yep yep.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 pm

While I am glad I spent a lot of time learning (and hopefully stretching) the limits of what the DS-10+ can do by making exclusively DS-10+ songs, I find myself more and more incorporating it as part of my over-all set up; And why not really? Any truly useful piece of gear should play nicely with it's friends after an initial learning curve. There are still many things that the DS-10+ does with exceptional ease that other pieces of hardware/apps don't. Our frustrations with the limits of the DS-10 are well documented on this site, however, with it's integration into my setup I feel that the positive aspects of the cart can be exploited in a very complimentary way. I haven't posted a track in a while but the next one will probably include the DS-10 in a supporting role. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the creativity within limitations that making music exclusively on the DS affords, and will probably continue to make such tracks in the future.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Sales figures for 3ds this week (ending 28th March) in Japan only:Numbers in brackets indicate last week's sales. Come on Sano! :)
1. 3DS: 94,011 (64,017)
2. PS3: 25,750 (27,900)
3. PSP: 19,875 (18,633)
4. PSV: 10,302 (10,021)
5. Wii: 9,270 (8,127)
6. PS2: 1,333 (1,165)
7. X360: 1,084 (1,145)
8. DSi LL: 1,058 (853)
9. DSi: 778 (617)
[via andriasang.com]

D A Payne

Post by D A Payne » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 pm

All the data i can find suggests the sales of smartphones and tablet computers are set to continue to rocket.
Apple sold 4Mil 4S's in the first 3 days after its launch . The 3DS sold 371,326 the first two days after launch.

I know the are two different markets and whatnot, but from the eye of a software developer I reckon developing for smartphone/tablets is the most attractive option at the moment.

At the time of the ds-10s release the smartphones had nowhere near as big a market share as they do today, the ds at the time was probably the obvious choice for such an app.

One other unrelated thing, I don't like the disposable nature of the £1 download and forget "app", it usually leads to gimmicky single use apps that come nowhere near the fulfilling their devices full potential rather than complete software packages.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/88540 ... ch-figures
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... les-record
Nothing to do with busses

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm a game programmer and I hate iOS sdk (gimme back my x360) ;) Apart from this joke, I really like the korg ds-10 as a DAW software, it's hard to use the korg ds-10 as an instrument since there is no midi synchronization and no export to WAV. It's possible, I made few tracks with other instruments but it is not elegant. I think there will be no more music apps on Nintendo hardware, how many ds10/ds10+ cart did they sell? Plus, the hardware is far better on other mobile platform (iOs, android, vita). But I think the real reason is that the client are musicians. And the probability for a musician to have a DS is less than having an iOs or android device. Thought I find the korg ds-10 a perfect way to learn how to use synthesizer and make music, and besides the interface is better than most mobile music apps (there's a ton of music app that sux)

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am

Clever little app. Just downloaded and already love it:

http://soundcloud.com/iac/unbound-i-am-synth-detune-ltd

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 am

WMRhapsodies wrote:Clever little app. Just downloaded and already love it:

http://soundcloud.com/iac/unbound-i-am-synth-detune-ltd
ah love these sounds

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Sounds great indeed!. The best thing is you don't need to move through many screens or deal with dozens of microscopic knobs as in many other apps.

You can think of it as a kind of monotron, in fact it seems to share a lot with the monotron delay (like switching between chromatic or ribbon keyboard). The keyboard is surprisingly playable for its size, but anyway, I wouldn't expect (of myself, at least) to play any recognizable melody on it...

Being as simple as it is (I would like it to be core midi or synthstation compatible, to be able to record sessions within the app, some sort of arpeggiator...) it seems to me it accomplishes perfectly well its purpose and in a perfect visual style. The X/Y control of the LFO or the graphic presentation of the filter are brilliant.

Even if I will always miss the stylus, moving to iOS seems pretty much logical to me too. I hope this one is like a presentation card for DETUNE-without-Korg, and the next one to be a real synthesis mini-studio a la DS10...I agree with the keyboard interface criticism, but what bothers me the most is, while there are many cool loop-maker apps like this one, I can´t find any that really makes to make full songs as easy and inspiring as DS10 or M01 because they try to imitate that kind of linear, complicated, DAW style sequencers.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Check out Rhythm Studio for iOS. It is a pretty friendly patterns based loop maker. What's nice about it is the hardware emulations like an 808, 909 and TB 303 and a WASP like synth as well as several others. They regularly update new instruments. Quite a bargain for $4.99. definitely not a "buy and forget" $1.00 app.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am

Oh, you are right, Rythm Studio is very nice and works as I should expect (kind of the king of microscopic knobs too...but I won't complain this time: it makes sense and is nice to have the look of these classical machines). My problem with this one was the way of scrolling through the different virtual devices...But they have already fixed that on some update!. Have to give it a second chance.

(BTW I should write the guys who made this app, because the spanish translation is so funny: "Save" is translated as "Ahorrar"="To save money", "Swing" is translated as "Columpio"= swing like the ones on parks, for children. But I actually don't know if there's a spanish musical word for "swing"...I would use "swing")

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:47 pm

hey guys, while we are on the subject of smartphone music apps, I just wanted to let you know that there's an iPhone / Android Nanoloop compo going on over at chipmusic.org:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6338/ ... p-posse-2/

I recommend that you all submit something! I already have my track in :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Also semi-offtopic, but I'm hooked to iMaschine, fucking brilliant, and no pianorolls/step sequencers for a change.

Two short tracks by me:
http://soundcloud.com/rutgermuller/the-words-to-say

http://soundcloud.com/rutgermuller/night-brain

And one by maestro Jamie Lidell: