I just got Pro Tools 10, here's my first song!

UncleBibby

I just got Pro Tools 10, here's my first song!

Post by UncleBibby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 am

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby47/beginno

I was getting a little tired of Cubase Essential 5, so I ordered Pro Tools 10. It arrived today, and I spent maybe a third of the day figuring it out and making a new song.

So far, the only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to use a MIDI keyboard controller. I've set up the connections both hardware-wise and software-wise, but Pro Tools just won't pick up any of the notes I'm playing. The keyboard shows up in the track inputs and outputs and everything, it just doesn't get any input from it for some reason. I'll have to figure that one out eventually, but for now, I'm content with putting in all the notes manually with my mouse (that's how I usually do it anyways).

So, what do you think of my song? Do you think I made a bad decision getting Pro Tools? Any idea why my keyboard isn't working? Please leave a comment!
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

Syscrusher

Re: I just got Pro Tools 10, here's my first song!

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Haven't had a chance to listen to your tune yet. I'm on my iPad and soundcloud doesn't show up embedded for some reason. I don't usually use Pro Tools but I know a few things. First, make sure you are using an "inst" track not a "midi" track. It will probably say "no input" near the bottom of the strip. That's ok. Go to the top of the strip where the inserts are (I A-E) and choose an instrument plug in. You should now see a signal when playing your midi controller. If you see a signal but don't hear a sound you have to set your output near the bottom of the strip below where it says "no input". Set the out to the appropriate setting for your monitors. That shoud do it.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I think something is wrong with your Soundcloud embed... it won't load.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Haven't had a chance to listen to your tune yet. I'm on my iPad and soundcloud doesn't show up embedded for some reason. I don't usually use Pro Tools but I know a few things. First, make sure you are using an "inst" track not a "midi" track. It will probably say "no input" near the bottom of the strip. That's ok. Go to the top of the strip where the inserts are (I A-E) and choose an instrument plug in. You should now see a signal when playing your midi controller. If you see a signal but don't hear a sound you have to set your output near the bottom of the strip below where it says "no input". Set the out to the appropriate setting for your monitors. That shoud do it.
I actually tried doing all that, and my computer wouldn't see a signal when I played my Midi controller. I thought, "maybe it's just this keyboard..." so I switched to a different midi keyboard and sure enough, that one worked perfectly right away! I still haven't figured out why the former keyboard isn't working, but I'm fine using the latter one for now.

(I have installed all the drivers for both keyboards and they're both connected via USB to my Mac computer.)
Decktonic wrote:I think something is wrong with your Soundcloud embed... it won't load.
Well, it's loading fine for me, but here's the URL just in case:

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby47/beginno

I've actually already made another song, and it's also on that account.
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Sounds like you have the hang of it. Nice.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases