Detune Ltd. for Yamaha/iPad: iYM2151

WMRhapsodies

Detune Ltd. for Yamaha/iPad: iYM2151

Post by WMRhapsodies » Wed May 09, 2012 9:37 am

So this is what was next. A studio based on an old Yamaha FM synthesis chip used on classic arcade videogame cabinets:

Some other videos:

http://www.detune.co.jp/detune/iym2151

Good news for the chiptune scene I guess. I personally find those sounds really annoying, way too digital... The easy edit mode remembers of some Yamaha home keyboards/synths like PSR-390/380 DSR-500...(and you can get really beautiful tones out of this ones, so I really don´t know...)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Detune Ltd. for Yamaha/iPad: iYM2151

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

well FM is def good for funk

http://ubiktune.org/releases/ubi044-var ... nk-terrror

See the tracks with 'VOPM' behind them for simple FM synthesis, SEGA emulation...

Yeah there's a coldness to it. But with an advanced one like Yamaha DX7 of Native Instruments FM8 you can make very "analog" and warm sounding pads. I've heard FM8 patches that I couldn't believe.

But I don't know abou this iYM2151. I think this interface is not for me....
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I don't think what you are seeing is the editing interface. It says "DUMP" mode which just looks like a massive data dump of all the values.

I'll probably get this just because I'll buy anything like this, and because it would make for some sick Sonic the Hedgehog style funk lines (I mean I love this demo song) but I doubt I would use to create entire songs like I do on the DS10 (or at least, if it's worth doing that I would release them under another alias).
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

bryface

Post by bryface » Thu May 10, 2012 12:04 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:well FM is def good for funk
But I don't know abou this iYM2151. I think this interface is not for me....
actually the interface is a lot like the KORG M01. it's just styled to look like an oldschool LCD interface, but functionally it's a similar pianoroll-type GUI:

it looks as though they've actually made significant improvements over the M01's interface, because unlike the M01 (where you can only set a note's velocity and length) in some of the other example videos there are more sophisticated parameters you can play around with using MML, like pitchbends/vibrato or other synth parameters. imagine if this used the DS-10/iMS-20 synth engine instead of an FM one! that would be the perfect holy grail to me.

the DUMP mode i think is just a bit of nerdy indulgence by DETUNE =) it' doesn't actually have much use but it's cool to see a wall of numbers flip around while a song is playing.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm

bryface wrote: the DUMP mode i think is just a bit of nerdy indulgence by DETUNE =) it' doesn't actually have much use but it's cool to see a wall of numbers flip around while a song is playing.
it makes for great live visuals... maybe even a music video :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Sat May 12, 2012 5:56 am

I was seriously considering getting an iPad solely for this and iMS-20, but I couldn't figure out a way to afford it so I got a PS Vita instead.

EDIT: Deleted the rant.
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Ps vita will cost you more because you will have to buy games lol . ;)

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:Ps vita will cost you more because you will have to buy games lol . ;)
You know that iMS-20 is $15 and iYM2151 is $35, right?
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...