RECORDINGS -> Recording audio from DS to your computer...

Infininja

Re: DS-10 HELP -> Recording audio from DS to your computer...

Post by Infininja » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

That definitely helps. I've also tried reading up on the difference between gain and level but I'm not really sure I understand it.

Currently, just going from the line out on my DS to the line in on my computer results in a very low volume recording. I'd be using the mixer to boost this signal like Dominator said but I'm not sure which is a better option, gain or level, and obviously gain is only available on lines 1 and 2. If gain is the better option, I assume you could use the two inputs similarly to 3 and 4 as long as all the knobs are lined up the same. Or is this a bad idea?

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Infininja wrote:That definitely helps. I've also tried reading up on the difference between gain and level but I'm not really sure I understand it.

Currently, just going from the line out on my DS to the line in on my computer results in a very low volume recording. I'd be using the mixer to boost this signal like Dominator said but I'm not sure which is a better option, gain or level, and obviously gain is only available on lines 1 and 2. If gain is the better option, I assume you could use the two inputs similarly to 3 and 4 as long as all the knobs are lined up the same. Or is this a bad idea?

Yeah thats right you could use 1 and 2 in the same way as long as you get them exactly the same but id reccomend 3 and 4, usually you would set the gain first to get a nice level and then youd adjust the level, but if your just recording your ds alone using the level would be fine.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 am

I've got some extra input for you infininja-(awesome name BTW)
Let's suppose two thing here:
1-no matter how much you turn up the gain no hiss/spitting is introduced
2-the DS or DSi and the DS-10/+ software introduces no noise to the headphone output
obviously neither of these are true but...
Your gain knob is there specifically to boost or attenuate signals that are either below or above unity-(peaks at exactly 0dbfs) respectively. The level control/fader simply acts as a secondary volume control to your gain, the difference is that with the gain you can turn it up enough that you distort the signal coming into your board/interface. When this happens no matter how low you set the level control/fader the signal will still be distorted. When your gain is set properly-(ie: the incoming signal is boosted/attenuated so that the signal peaks at unity) the only way you can introduce distortion is by turning the level control/fader up to a point where the output of your mixer begins to clip.
So, back to our suppositions, no matter how good the preamp-(gain circuit) is turning it up to extreme levels will introduce some unwanted noise. Since the DS does indeed have a somewhat quiet output some gain is needed. Almost any mixer should be able to give you enough gain without "spitting", even some rather cheap gear. The thing to pay attention to is your signal to noise ratio. If you have approx. 40db difference between your peak level of your signal and the noise floor- hiss,etc. you should be good to go unless you compress or limit the crap out of the signal. This will essentially lower the peak in relation to the noise floor of your signal.
If you look at the pic of that aleisis mixer/interface you'll see on the right side a group of lights. I'll go ahead and appologize if I sound condescending or rude here. If all the red lights are lit up that's peaking and that's bad.
Anyway here's how to get a textbook appropriate gain structure.
1- set your level at 0db
2- set the master out at 0db
3- with signal incoming set the gain knob so that the loudest moments of your source material hit 0db on the group of peak metering lights, in the case of said aleisis mixer, on the right.
Now since your recording to your computer it is recomended that you then turn your master output down to about
-10 to -15 db so that you have plenty of headroom in your DAW or sound editing program since once recorded into your DAW and manipulated/tweaked/whatever, you can adjust the final level digitally.
Sorry for the essay, and I also sincerely hope you don't think me rude, I really just want to help so I've been as specific as possible.
Now, make awesome music!
-Gabriel-

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks both of you, that definitely helps and Audio is probably the first to spell my name correctly. :p

I understand clipping/peaking but your explanation of gain and level makes a lot more sense.

I'll look into paying for a mixer soon, but I'm still not quite sure why these mixers only have gain on the mono inputs. Even their mixers with more inputs that add equalizers to the L/R don't have gain knobs for those.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Infininja wrote:Thanks both of you, that definitely helps and Audio is probably the first to spell my name correctly. :p

I understand clipping/peaking but your explanation of gain and level makes a lot more sense.

I'll look into paying for a mixer soon, but I'm still not quite sure why these mixers only have gain on the mono inputs. Even their mixers with more inputs that add equalizers to the L/R don't have gain knobs for those.
They assume that when you use the stereo inputs that you'll be using something that already outputs line/unity level signal, like a CD player.

I'm glad at least some part of my essay was helpful. I really want to teach, then someone else will have to deal with the BS I have to deal with.

brainard52

Post by brainard52 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:46 am

I have recently come across a program called JACK. has anybody ever heard of it? I'm going to try it out, and see how well it works.

resonator

Post by resonator » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

brainard52 wrote:I have recently come across a program called JACK. has anybody ever heard of it? I'm going to try it out, and see how well it works.
i don't know Jack. :lol:
Seriously though, I'll check it out and see what's good.

I've been a Wavelab user since '98, so all of my external 2-track recording, wave editing, mastering, file conversion and CD/DVD burning needs are taken care of. :D

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:51 pm

brainard52 wrote:I have recently come across a program called JACK. has anybody ever heard of it? I'm going to try it out, and see how well it works.
you mean using it with an emulator? As JACK is an application-to-application audio connector right?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

leonel_fitzpatrick

Re: HOW TO: record audio from your DS to your Computer...

Post by leonel_fitzpatrick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:I think mchl nrvs uses the Samsom Zoom H2

http://www.thomann.de/de/zoom_h2.htm

oh yeah

Noiseman

Re: RECORDINGS -> Recording audio from DS to your computer...

Post by Noiseman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:51 pm

I see most of you here have already figured out your equipment for playing live and/or recording. But I'm reading through posts here now and I'm kinda like this :? at some parts, or while trying to compare for myself some of the stuff listed here.

I'm playing a live show in a couple of weeks and suppose that if I just plug an auxiliary cable from the DS to a PA, the sound won't be any good. I've been doing this while practicing at home. I simply connect the DS through a Y cable to the stereo and from there to big speakers. It sounds good, but due to the layout of the stereo (on the ceiling; in separate rooms) I lose a lot of the panning and effects that i hear on my headphones...

Basically, my question is: what is a cheap mixer option for playing one ds (eventually two, for live mixing/turntabling) hooking it up to this pa, or any other speakers of sorts, and getting a decent clean warm tone at levels loud/pleasant for an audience of say... hmmm... ~25? I would think this would also allow me to record through either digital or line-in to my computer and minimize the hissing while boosting my levels... am I correct?

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:27 pm

for 25 people you could probably use any cheap DJ mixer...

I sometimes use my KRK Rokit studio speakers to throw a party and it works very well...
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:42 pm

If I open a new project in Logic Pro, choose an Audio Track, arm the track and click Rec, than click play on my song in Nintendo DS, it records easily.

But I prefer using Reason (to work a little on the track with some effects), so I tried recording on it.
I create an Audio Track, and if I look at the input I can choose the input 1, or 2...I thought it was all ok, so I started recording but nothing, it doesn't capture anything.

Don't if it's a problem of setting the right audio input, the audio device...

I'm using my M-Audio Profire 610, with the DS plugged in the first input with a jack cable.

Using Logic it records well but I noticed some sounds it seems to be weaker (some high sound, while the bass sounds are all there)...don't if can be a problem of setting the audio track to mono, instead of stereo? (I'm just thinking)
By the way, the signal of Nintendo DS is stereo or mono? I think stereo...I should try.

Help! :o

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Ok, I've managed to record through Reason!

Sounds seem maybe a little better (mah, I don't know, I'll try adjusting something through some eq or maximizer).

But something still is strange, at some point of the song there is a sound that get lost in the mix, while listening to the song on the nintendo ds, it's ok and perfectly audible.
Last thing I can personally imagine is the low quality of the adaptor mini jack- jack I'm using to connect the mini jack cable from the ds to the line input on my M-Audio...but I really don't know...

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:12 am

Ok, I've enhanced the sound generally, it's really good I think.
But still a sound is loosing (the sound itself feels like it's "goin' away" gradually, but on the DS you can hear it 'till the end, in here instead it became inaudible too soon).
I'm goin' to post this first try on youtube, so I'll link the video to you and indicate when is the sound, so you can hear it and tell me your ideas about it!
(sorry for the three post in a row...I promised I will be less annoying in the future ahah :P)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 am

You should definitely be recording in stereo. That could be the reason you are losing audio or not hearing it as it does on the DS. You will need a Y cable so you can use input 1 and 2 on your Profire. Use a stereo track in Logic or Reason and all should be well.

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am

Thank you! I must buy an Y cable, yes.
I'll do it, before posting anything.
(also because I found that Reason 6 in demo mode doesn't allow me to export the song, so I have to re-record in Logic, which I have complete...can't wait to buy Reason, I love it)

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

I finally bought a Y cable, and learned how to eq and maximize in logic pro, tomorrow I will post my first try at korg ds-10, finally!

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

...ok I don't know if it's a curse or what ahah...

I was ready and plugged to record on logic the famous first try at korg ds and this time, it doesn't seem to "hear" nothing from the m-audio...(from the ds to the m-audio it works, because m-audio react with all her beautiful leds when I press play on the Nintendo)...
I've also checked the preferences and the ProFire is chosen for the inputs...
grrr what's wrong now?!

Edit: however I wanted to ask something. What sample rate I have to choose in Logic for the Ds?
How many khz?

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Ok...don't why, but opening a new project, now it works. ahahah ??

However, it remains the doubt about the sample rate! Gonna check around, tell me if you know (surely you know)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 am

Absintize wrote:Ok...don't why, but opening a new project, now it works. ahahah ??

However, it remains the doubt about the sample rate! Gonna check around, tell me if you know (surely you know)
Use the best sample rate that the M-Audio unit will allow.