Normalize? How to...

8-bot

Normalize? How to...

Post by 8-bot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm

What can I do if my song sounds at different levels? In this case, the same song sounds louder in one output and I want to do a sound quality comparison but I want both outputs to sound equally loud... can this be done with Audacity?

fluid

Re: Normalize? How to...

Post by fluid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Normalizing won't change volume respective to other volume, all it will do is uniformly adjust the audio signal relative to a certain value, depending on the normalization and what values you select. If you want to make a quieter part louder, I'd suggest you apply some compression. Or actually, a simple volume envelope would probably be the easiest (but your noise will be amplified along with your signal).

Edit: And yes, Audacity should be able to do everything you need to do.

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Volume envelope? I'll check that, thank you. What I need to do is to make the same song from different sources sound at the same volume.

fluid

Post by fluid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:37 am

Oh, okay. In that case, you'd want to normalize both files to the same peak. Audacity can do that.

Sorry, I sort of misunderstood the first time I read it.

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 am

Thank you. I'll check that.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Something to consider is if the same song from one source has more bass information than from another source just normalizing you will still have an overal frequency response that is varied. When just normalizing this can affect the "apparent volume" of a track. The only way to do this properly is to master the individual tracks, this of course assumes that the mixes are balanced. Normalizing is not mastering. In the simplest terms you should have a high quality spectrum analyzer, high quality eq's, a good peak and averaging rms power meter then using those, you adjust the eq's so that no one track has more or less bass, mid, or treble than any other then use your peak and rms meters to adjust the "apparent volume" of each. Compression or limiting is helpful for that last part.
Cheers! -Gabriel

fluid

Post by fluid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah, for DS-10 I just tweak the tracks over and over until it sounds right. Then if I have to, I'll normalize it (although the three tracks I posted here didn't require much to get them all at the same level).

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 pm

fluid wrote:Yeah, for DS-10 I just tweak the tracks over and over until it sounds right. Then if I have to, I'll normalize it (although the three tracks I posted here didn't require much to get them all at the same level).
For your stuff that should work quite well since it's all coming from DS-10. As long as you get a good balanced mix between your tunes coming out of the DS then just a quick normalize should get you a fairly balanced volume.
I'm just assuming that 8-bot is trying to recreate the same tune with DS and something else, whatever that may be. That is when you might start to have some problems.
BTW fluid, I checked out your stuff. Sounds Good!!

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 am

What I want to do is level the volume of a song coming from a DS lite and the same song coming from a DSi.
Thank you Gabriel for the input! Thank you fluid!

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:39 am

Hmmm.... There shouldn't be a significant difference between the two systems.
Questions:
1- Have you imported the same save/song file to two different carts?
2- Do you have both the DS/DSi volumes turned all the way up?

Thoughts:
1- If the save/song file is identitcal then it should output the same unless you've made some changes to the sounds and/or mixer settings
2- If the volume on both the DS and DSi are both all the way up; then maybe you've made changes to the settings or made changes in the mixer settings. If not, then there may be some slight difference between the DS and DSi audio output. (this wouldn't be surprising considering that the DSi has a more powerful processor which is why the DS-10+ cart only unlocks dual-mode when used with the DSi)
What I would try is to turn both the DS and DSi up to max volume and adjust your record volume going into audacity to avoid peaking and see if they come out the same. (also do yourself a huge favor and get a good recording program)
Let me know how this works out if you try it. I'm totally willing to help out!

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 am

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
I want to test the output of a Ds lite vs the output of a 3DS (sorry, it was not a DSi made a mistake)

fluid

Post by fluid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:57 pm

AudioArtist wrote:BTW fluid, I checked out your stuff. Sounds Good!!
Thanks! I make music with other stuff, too, but DS-10 is pretty easy to mix with only 6 parts.

If it's just a matter of making sure the audio levels match, I'd just record them through Audacity and use the normalize function to normalize the peak just a touch below 0 dB. It'll also remove any DC offset. If you normalize both peaks to the same value, then the peak of both songs will have the same loudness. Alternatively, you can normalize based off an RMS (average) level.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:23 pm

8-bot wrote:1) Yes.
2) Yes.
I want to test the output of a Ds lite vs the output of a 3DS (sorry, it was not a DSi made a mistake)
Hmmm.. If you have not made any changes to the synth settings or the mixer settings then it would seem as though the two systems have a slightly different output level.
Like fluid said, record them into whatever program you have, set the output level to -0.1db, and then try using the normalize function set to rms balancing. I can't really say much more about normalizing, I personally avoid it like a plague, but I also have spent tons of money on recording gear and software.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 pm

OK I can answer your problem. The 3DS has a significantly lower output level than the DSi or DS Lite or classic DS. Nintendo put a serious volume limiter on it. If you were to play them side by side with the same track, you would hear how different they are.

If you normalize your recordings in audacity, the quality is the same. There's nothing wrong with the 3DS; no clipping or anything. It just can't get as loud as the others.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 am

Yes, the 3DS can't get as loud as the DS Lite. I just want to make a sound comparison because I think they don't sound the same. Even the basic waveforms look different.