Introducing: KORG M01

KORG M01D - A fantastic Synth and Sequencer from the creator of KORG DS10

Re: Korg M01

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:21 pm

There's a pretty good sequencer in there (more advanced than DS-10). But pattern mode I don't know....
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby bryface » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:55 pm

i like how in the press meeting everyone went crazy-go-nuts over NOTE DRAAAAAAAGGGG! OMGOMGOMGOMG

seriously though... blown away. the DS-10 gave me the impression that the DS hardware had some inherent limitations for sound generation, but seeing the sound fidelity AND polyphony AND reverb AND the sheer number of soundbank presets??? ALL together???

i wonder if it'll have the ability to sync with the DS-10 in any way...
bryface

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Yeah but..

You can save 10 songs *facepalm*. Thanks nintendo for cartridge restrictions...
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 pm

house

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby ChrisLody » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Seen this? Looks really good! I hope it gets a UK release in the end, afterall that's what happened with ds-10. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Posted a video, but too slow for you guys! :D
ChrisLody

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Seems like a General Midi composing device on steroids. Pretty much a fan already...

not about all the pussy RPG music, but:

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby WMRhapsodies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

Wow, this year!

The original DS-10 was also an amazon exclusive in Japan, but I had no problem importing it from Play-asia (at a more expensive price)

Sync mode with ds-10 would be sweet and please, please...being able to save patches and songs to the SD card on DSi.
WMRhapsodies

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 am

WMRhapsodies wrote:Wow, this year!

Sync mode with ds-10 would be sweet and please, please...

I really hope so. You can try to message sanodg on twitter about it and convince him, there's some months left!

being able to save patches and songs to the SD card on DSi.

Forget it! Nintendo won't allow.
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 am

Korg M1 Keyboard Workstation, Reborn on Nintendo DS
By Peter Kirn
Related: aq, ds-10, gaming, handheld, Japan, Korg, m1, mobile, Nobuyoshi Sano, previews, retro, synths, workstation & more

The original M1, definitely larger than a DS. Photo (CC-BY-SA) Kevin Phillips.
Having made their own DS-10 instrument, Korg and DS developer AQ Interactive yesterday presented something new for the handheld Nintendo. This time, they’re revisiting one of the all-time greatest hits of digital synthesis, the Korg M1 workstation.

Markus Schroeder tips us off that the M1 will be the next release for the DS. An iOS (iPhone/iPad) version may follow, as with Korg’s recent mobile rendition of the ElecTribe.

Markus is also kind enough to translate the Japanese contents of the presentation:

Features are (subject to change / error):

300 original M1 PCM Sounds
8x multi timbral
8 track 16 step sequencer 1 sequence max 64 pattern, max polyphonic sound 12
master reverb, delay effect
track overview, sound browser, sequence edit, mixer, keyboard. Simple and functional display
notes/chords,/drum input mode by touch control
data exchange by wireless transmit
drag & drop transpose
sustained notes

Release Date is set to 31st 12. 2010 over at amazon.co.jp.

(With past experience as a guide, delivery outside Japan may happen later – and it’s a shame this won’t happen by the holidays, huh?)

GearJunkies has a couple of screen shots.

None other than Nobuyoshi Sano does the demonstration, the veteran Namco Bandai composer who contributed to legendary scores for Ridge Racer and the Tekken series, and was the producer of the KORG DS-10 application.

And so it continues: whereas once, only analog synths could be classics or inspire nostalgia, the digital instrument has clearly arrived. The digital follow-up to KORG’s own Legacy Collection tried a similar revival of the M1, but there’s something about having it in a $150 handheld, let alone one that can also swap over to Zelda. Hey, maybe a lap of kart racing will wind up giving you a musical idea.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/08/3 ... nt-1153205
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby WMRhapsodies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am

Forget it! Nintendo won't allow.[/quote]

Yep, I would think this also...Flipnote Studio allows to save your own animations but it is from Nintendo itself. Then I read you can also save your songs in Rythm Core Alpha (another dsiware that may be of interest for the ones that are waiting for an US Rytmik release: http://www.rhythmcorealpha.com/). So...Do you know that for true?, Does a cartridge release have this limitation while dsiware does not?...Weird. But is Nintendo, so it may well be...

----

btw, I read nothing on M01 about being able to create you own or modify sounds...No "analog-style editing" as in the original M1?...

I'm glad there's still a chance for an iPad/iPhone release.
WMRhapsodies

Postby ChrisLody » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 am

WMRhapsodies wrote:
btw, I read nothing on M01 about being able to create you own or modify sounds...No "analog-style editing" as in the original M1?...

I have a cut down version of the M1 legacy vsti which came with my korg Nanokey so from what i can gather if its a true copy of the M1 then you should be able to create your own sounds as it has a full compliment of envelopes, LFO's and a non resonant filter (resonance was added on the vsti version though) with which to sculpt the samples. I'm not sure if it has short single cycle waveforms though to do more electronic sounds. I'll have to dig out the plugin again and investigate further...
ChrisLody

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:

Forget it! Nintendo won't allow.

Yep, I would think this also...Flipnote Studio allows to save your own animations but it is from Nintendo itself. Then I read you can also save your songs in Rythm Core Alpha (another dsiware that may be of interest for the ones that are waiting for an US Rytmik release: http://www.rhythmcorealpha.com/). So...Do you know that for true?, Does a cartridge release have this limitation while dsiware does not?...Weird. But is Nintendo, so it may well be...

I heard a couple of things about memory restrictions from a reliable source, but this seems interesting... maybe DSi ware works differently then yes? Nintendo seems a bit vague yes.... and I thought Apple was the vaguest ;).

I'm glad there's still a chance for an iPad/iPhone release.

that's why I said the m01 is kind of a General Midi studio, I think...

I think there are a few iPhone apps who offer similar functionality.....?
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 pm

http://www.detune.co.jp/blog/?page_id=63

Main features

- 8-part multi-timbral synthesizer with more than 300 sounds including whole of the original PCM data in the KORG M1 (maximum 12 voices)

- 8-track/16-step sequencer (maximum 64 steps per a sequence)

- 1 Master effect: Reverb or Delay

- Simple and well-composed screens structure: Track overview, Sound browser, Sequence edit, Mixer, and Keyboard

- Easy input mode for notes, chords, and drums with Touch control screen

- Exchange of song data between the others with Nintendo DS wireless system

KORG M01 will be released in Japan in December, 2010.
We are planning the international sales.

(C) 2010 KORG Inc. All rights reserved.
(C) 2010 PROCYON STUDIO CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
(C) 2010 DETUNE ltd. Game Design, Game System and Game Engine by DETUNE ltd.
Music Workstation Design and Sound Engine by KORG Inc.
※ This product is enjoying the Nintendo DS console is required.
Nintendo DS is a trademark of Nintendo.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Postby WMRhapsodies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
that's why I said the m01 is kind of a General Midi studio, I think...

OK, now I get it.

I wish it would be like ChrisLody says but this maybe would be really too much for a DS with the poliphony and all. The pianos, strings, atmospherics pads sound great at any case (listen at the presentation4 video at 6:30)...and they are so hard or impossible to achieve on DS-10!. Sometimes I get tired of chasing sounds on DS10 and that will be great for this moments, but at the same time I think sound creation is what makes DS-10 tracks always interesting and personal.

---

I cannot speak of the iphone/ipad apps properly . I'm just planning to get an iPad on the next few months. I checked out some of the music apps on the iTunes store: There are dozens!. Maybe none as complete as this M01 or as amazing as DS-10 but cool enough for me for sure.
Last edited by WMRhapsodies on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WMRhapsodies

Postby WMRhapsodies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Repeated, sorry.
WMRhapsodies

Postby Syscrusher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:29 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:Sometimes I get tired of chasing sounds on DS10 and that will be great for this moments, but at the same time I think sound creation is what makes DS-10 tracks always interesting and personal.

Agreed.
Syscrusher

Postby Decktonic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
WMRhapsodies wrote:Yep, I would think this also...Flipnote Studio allows to save your own animations but it is from Nintendo itself. Then I read you can also save your songs in Rythm Core Alpha (another dsiware that may be of interest for the ones that are waiting for an US Rytmik release: http://www.rhythmcorealpha.com/). So...Do you know that for true?, Does a cartridge release have this limitation while dsiware does not?...Weird. But is Nintendo, so it may well be...

I heard a couple of things about memory restrictions from a reliable source, but this seems interesting... maybe DSi ware works differently then yes? Nintendo seems a bit vague yes.... and I thought Apple was the vaguest ;).

I have a theory on this... what these DSiWare apps do is include a section of writable space for saving data... therefore, the amount of data that can be stored is still limited, just like on a cartridge, and depends on how much space is still available after some is taken up for code/resources/etc. AFAIK, there's still no storing on external SD cards... I wish there was. Anyway, the guy who made Rhythm Core Alpha posts on 8bc often, so you could always ask him to explain how these things actually work. And Rytmik is already out in the USA, I have both of these apps on my DSi, unfortunately I have not had the time to make a full song with either.
Decktonic

Postby soultron » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 am

I can't wait to make this sounds like crap.
soultron

Postby Decktonic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 am

Just saw this video and I wept tears of joy.
Decktonic

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:59 am

Yeah, but let's face it: a program like Nitrotracker can sound pretty much the same, or not? We'll have to see. I think this interface will suit me 100X better though.

You can hear it's simple sample-based synthesis: when the note pitches an octave lower, it gets two times as slow (you can hear it in some of the rhythmic textures).
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to KORG M01D General