DS-10 Stories #5 "Imo-ni Kai Picnic" 11/03/09

CardiacTrance

DS-10 Stories #5 "Imo-ni Kai Picnic" 11/03/09

Post by CardiacTrance » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am

"Imo-ni Kai" directory translates to "potato stew meeting."
It's traditional in Touhoku area in Japan during the fall. Basically, local people
get together outside (by the river, most likely) and make warm stew with taro
potatoes (or other kind of potatoes).

"DS-10 Imo-ni Kai Picnic 11/03/09"

I think the idea of having this picnic came from Watanabe saying he liked the taro
and pork soup we served for the dinner party after "The 3 Spaces."

I woke up at 6:30 in the morning and got onto the train with my younger sister.
Tama River is pretty far away from the city I live, and I was going to help others cooking
the stew, so I had to be there early enough, by 11 o'clock.

After the long train ride, we managed to catch the local bus. It was the beginning of
November, so I was expecting it to be pretty cold, but it was really nice and sunny.
We started to seek for the electronic noise soon after we arrived at the park by the riverside.

I saw my people by the river. They already started preparing the stew. Watanabe was stirring the
steamy big cooking pot, and others were helping him chopping green onions and stuff. I passed Gulliver
some shiitake mushrooms and Konnyaku (potato cake) that I was suppose to bring.
cooking.jpg
Photo by CardiacTrance
"Hey, take it easy. We take care of it. Have some drink and appetizers."

Watanabe kindly told me, so I walked around and greeted my DS-10 friends who were already
there drinking and playing music. Kokou brought his Korg Electribe with him. He had made it work with
batteries. I messed around with it for a while, then I walked by the river, with a can of beer in my hand.
It was such a beautiful day!!
river.jpg
Photo by CardiacTrance
I played with some plants and bugs, then went back to the cooking site. There were different kind of
appetizers people brought on the table. I had the pickled vegetables, daikon radish cooked with meat
broth and soy sauce, and savory pork dish. They were all absolutely delicious.

Watanabe was standing in front of two big cooking pots. They were already smelling so good.
I asked him what's in them.

"Well, this one got taro potatoes, green onions, shimeji mushrooms, daikon radish, and pork. I'm
going to season it with Miso paste. The other one got beef instead of pork and I'm gonna season
it with soy sauce. Oh, Ritsu is going to bring her specialty pepper mix she bought in Kyoto."

Lots of people were started to gather by noon. Fuyuko brought the Midori melon liquor and soda,
and made beautiful cocktails for everybody. I think there were about 30 people. Gulliver was
sitting on the ground with a portable grill he brought and was also cooking some kind of stew.
cocktail.jpg
Photo by CardiacTrance
"Hey, what are you making?"
"I got a bunch of chicken, cabbages, and salt&pepper!"
"Is that it?"
"Yep, that's it!"

This time as well, lots of people brought all sorts of electronic/acoustic musical instruments.
There were DS-10s (of course!), a Stylophone, Kaossilater, Electribe, melodica, violin, and even
singing bowl and Cajon! I brought my Native American flutes, a Japanese bamboo flute,
Jew's harp, and acorn flutes I just made last night.

Everybody was having fun playing and listening to music, eating, drinking, playing with the nature,
taking photos, and just chilling out on a large picnic seat, under the gentle fall sunlight.
I opened a bottle of red dessert wine I brought for everybody and set it on the table.
I was getting little buzzed and started to catch locusts with my sister.

"Yo all! The stew is ready! Come line up!"
Watanabe and others shouted loud, and everybody lined up by the pot with plastic bowls in their hands.
stew.jpg
Photo by CardiacTrance
The stew was just amazing!!
All the vegetables were cooked so well, pork was so nice and tender, and taro just melted
in my mouth. The soup was so rich in flavour which came from all the different vegetables and meat.
Ritsu's specialty pepper added more flavour to it and warmed everybody up.
It was like the best potato soup ever! And everybody else thought so too. The stew went pretty quickly
and it was gone in ten minutes or so. However, there were the beef version and the chicken soup too!
They did not last too long either. They were so good as well.

"Now what?"
Three big cooking pot full of stew were all gone in less than 20 minutes.

"Let's grill some stuff up."
Some people started to put dried squids and shiitake mushrooms on the grill.
squid.jpg
Photo by CardiacTrance
I took my DS-10 out and played the famous song from Final Fantasy 6. Tukuru and
some others accompanied me with melodica, DS-10 and other instruments. It was hard to see
the screen under the sun so I covered my entire body with my poncho. It must have looked silly.

Gospely and I played "My Heart Will Go On" together. He had his violin and I had my Native
American Flute. That was like the only song I could play because I was pretty drunk.
After that he joined natto21 and others playing Rydeen, the famous tune by YMO.

I skewed the locusts I just caught and fried them up on the grill, seasoned them with soy sauce
and ate them. No worries. Traditionally we eat locusts in Japan. They were delicious, and my
sister and some other friends tried them as well. Gospely freaked out and escaped.
locusts.jpg
Photo by Mather
Some people were sitting on the grass with their small instruments in their hands, just
chilling out, watching others playing music and spinning poi. I practiced throat singing with them.
overview.jpg
Photo by Mather
After around 4 o'clock, the sun started to go down and it was getting pretty cold out.
We cleaned up all the mess, and walked about 40 minutes to the restaurant bar. (We
missed the bus so we had to walk. Some of us had sore muscle next day.)

About 20 people got into the bar and ordered a lot of food because we were still hungry.
We were drinking there as well. Oh I love all those drunken DS-10 people. Someone took
his Cajon out, and we started playing music again!

Thanks for reading!!
Last edited by CardiacTrance on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
CardiacTrance / Yotsuchi Systems
Graphic Design, Illustration, animation, electronic music.
Official Web(portfolio): http://yotsuchi-osc.sakura.ne.jp/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/cardiactrance/
SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/cardiactrance

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: DS-10 Stories #5 "Imo-ni Kai Picnic" 11/03/09

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:02 pm

You're a great story teller man!

I'm hungry now :D, and I want to try Japanese food. I think I'm going to buy some ingredients and try to cook a stew like that soon! Haha, the fried locusts, also that I must try! And what's the green drink?

Nice photos too! Looks like a really fun meeting!
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

CardiacTrance

Re: DS-10 Stories #5 "Imo-ni Kai Picnic" 11/03/09

Post by CardiacTrance » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm

DS-10 Dominator:
Thank you very much.
I'm happy that I could make you hungry. That was what I was trying to do with this story. ;-)

The green drink is cocktail Fuyuko (she is already a member here) made.
I don't know the exact recipe, but I think she used Midori Melon Liquor, carbonated water, and lemon juice.

The meeting was really fun.
Watanabe is already planning this year's first DS-10 Picnic in April.
CardiacTrance / Yotsuchi Systems
Graphic Design, Illustration, animation, electronic music.
Official Web(portfolio): http://yotsuchi-osc.sakura.ne.jp/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/cardiactrance/
SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/cardiactrance