Decktonic live at Lomography Gallery Store NYC, Aug 30 2012

Decktonic

Decktonic live at Lomography Gallery Store NYC, Aug 30 2012

Post by Decktonic » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey everyone, last Thursday I got to DJ and play a live set at the Lomography Gallery Store in New York City for the "Excellent Analog Adventure Exhibit" sponsored by Urban Outfitters. For those who don't know, Lomography sells various plastic film cameras based on the classic Lomo LC-A from Russia, with various effects and filters, and they have a huge following of creative amateurs and professional photographers alike. This event was a cool free party at their store, with free beer provided by Sixpoint Brewery. A friend of mine that runs a monthly chipmusic show in Brooklyn introduced me to the Lomography employees organizing the show and they were actually interested in having a chipmusic DJ set and possibly a live performance during the event. So, I naturally obliged.

During my DJ set I played quite a few DS10 tracks (I think analog synthesizer music is a good fit for an "analog adventure" event) including songs by Anthony Seeha, NeoS and inktrans. My goal was mostly chill/melodic house & techno so I didn't play any of my usual dubstep or electro that I like to spin. I was on the fence as to whether I should do a live set or not since I had not practiced and I didn't think people would be into it, but there was a decent crowd and they seemed to be enjoying the music and I guess with enough pushing from my friends I had to do it, right? So I played a 30 minute set toward the end, with 9 songs from the DS10 and 1 from my iPad running Nanoloop, and I think I did a good job of transitioning between songs in a DJ style -- I've been working on writing more funky house music in a consistent tempo so I can essentially DJ my own songs with two Nintendo DS's running simultaneously. It's fun. In the end I think people enjoyed it, I passed out some cards and Lomography gave me one of their cameras for free which I'm enjoying, all in all good times were had. Most importantly though, I got a nice shout-out on lomography.com, and if you click through you can see some hilarious photos of me and my DS10s.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/news ... exhibition

p.s. I used to be hesitant about playing non-traditional venues like this (I just want to play in clubs, man) but the more I do gigs like this, the more they turn out to be really positive and fun. And what a great way to grab new fans and build up a gig portfolio with something high-profile too! :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

mistyminds

Re: Decktonic live at Lomography Gallery Store NYC, Aug 30 2012

Post by mistyminds » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 am

Awesome!
This is so absolutely cool!!

Decktonic

Re: Decktonic live at Lomography Gallery Store NYC, Aug 30 2012

Post by Decktonic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:54 pm

:)

I wasn't able to record my set from this event but I made a "mixtape" with most of the songs I played that night which you can listen to here:

http://www.mixcloud.com/Decktonic/excel ... e-mixtape/

It's 2 hours 2 minutes and 2 seconds of chiptunes with a decent helping of DS10 songs.

Also you can download it from here [right click - save as]:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15215130/Deckt ... ixtape.mp3

Enjoy!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases