APOIL 5th Annual Video Game Competition of France

ratface1987

APOIL 5th Annual Video Game Competition of France

Post by ratface1987 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 pm

So I got my first DS 10 gig (I've done LivePA stuff before, but never with the DS). It's at a video game competition put on by an inter-university association here in Paris. I contacted them and we all agreed that the DS 10 would fit well with the event.

I'm excited/nauseous. I've been reading up on tips from past threads and I'm feeling fairly confident. I've had gigs where the sound system was just subwoofers and others where everything sounded perfect. I'm hoping they'll have a nice rig setup for all the competitive gaming. Would make sense.

I'll basically be performing the Electric Circus EP that I've been posting up in the tracks section. If anyone would like to throw out more advice, I'm all ears. And I'll update with a reply post Saturday or Sunday after. And I'll make my wife come with me to video record everything. ;-)

Wish me luck!
Last edited by ratface1987 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinqlogue

Re: Live gig for this Saturday...

Post by Sinqlogue » Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Nice dude!

My advice is to take it easy. Don't feel rushed and take your time. And enjoy your own music!

ratface1987

Re: Live gig for this Saturday...

Post by ratface1987 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:44 pm

The performance went very well and took a totally different direction from what I expected for the evening. First off, I was hooked into a portable Fender PA system which actually sounded very nice. Very punchy. Decent bass for a medium sized, two speaker system, with good upper and middle range response. It was my first live experience with the DS and the kick drum really punched through the mix as well as the rest of the percussion. I was really happy about that. It sounded full.

I was in between the Super Mario Kart competition and the Guitar Hero/Halo 2/Counter-Strike competitions, so people were preoccupied with just winning a trophy for Mario Kart, or getting ready to put down noobs... So at most, I had about 5 people watching. The only people that stayed the entire time (about 25 minutes) were the my wife and the guy in charge of the whole event. With all the coming and goings, I would say about 30 people stopped to watch. And the guy in charge of sound cranked it up loud enough that you could definitely hear it in the whole room. So about another 70 to 100 people forced to suffer... haha.

I prepped an hour long set with two DS's and a Kaoss Pad to do transitions. The second DS was creating a huge amount of noise so I unplugged and went with one DS. I used the loop function on the Kaoss Pad to keep the beat going while I navigated the menu to the next song. Last minute the organiser asked me to keep it to 20 minutes so I quickly picked the top 4 tracks I wanted to focus on. Ahead of time I wrote down track names, BPM's, and starting patterns with mute settings which was a tremendous help. In the heat of the moment I couldn't recall anything about the songs without my notes. So that would be my piece of advice to anyone performing live. If you're not using song mode for everything, make track notes!

The tracks performed were "Guy Môquet" (unreleased, coming soon), "Brochant" (on my tracks thread), "Snow" (on my tracks thread), and "Eternally" (on my tracks thread). The organiser was really into it as the last song was coming to a close so I though "hey, maybe he wants me to keep going". So last minute I prepped the Kaoss Pad and transitioned into "DryDry" (on my tracks thread). Within a minute of that song he came up and asked me to wrap things up. So I misjudged my time restraints, but I only went over by 5 minutes.

Sinqlogue's advice to take it easy and enjoy the music was the best piece of advice. I had a couple of accidental mutes/solos, but I just rolled with it and besides my wife, no one new they were mistakes. Composing and performing at home with headphones is great, but feeling the kick and the oomph of the bass surrounding you and filling a room is a completely otherworldly experience. I recommend it to everyone. I didn't have an amazing audience pull, but the sound was good and it was fun. If anyone wants to do a Paris meetup/jam session, let me know. It's so worth it.

Thanks to forum for the inspiration, advice, tracks, tips, tricks, and community. Not as active as it used to be, it's still a great place of motivation and creativity. :)

Here are a couple of clips edited together from the evening. My wife only caught a few minutes of it, but I can't blame her (she did spend the entire day at a video game competition just to support me)...

Sinqlogue

Re: APOIL 5th Annual Video Game Competition of France

Post by Sinqlogue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm glad to hear you took my advice!

Awesome video too! I recognize that classic DS-10 pose ;). I actually prefer a small booth/table...