Tips on Performing DS-10 Live?

AnthonySeeha

Tips on Performing DS-10 Live?

Post by AnthonySeeha » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey, everybody! ^-^
My school's Talent Show is in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking about performing
NEON with my Nintendo DSi.
If I make the audition, I'll be all set to perform live for the first time with a DSi. xD
But I'm thinking about how the performance will actually go. :/
I'm not entirely sure what to do when I'm performing.
Any tips for an exciting performance?

(Oh, and everybody will be seated in chairs. If they get up and dance, I'll be pretty happy. xD)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Tips on Performing DS-10 Live?

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

-From time to time use unlocked pattern switching, and make short quick transitions, people can then directly relate your stylus action to the sound they hear.

-I sometimes hold my DS upside down and use DS-10 looking downwards, but I don't know if people really could see the screen.

-I sometimes move the stylus away from the screen and stab towards it also makes it more clear when you're actually doing something. Or I move a slider on the mixer up or down and then slide off the screen into the air.

-If you have a DS Lite, you can use the volume slider for silence breaks (leave the last quarter note silent is a cool break for example), or tremolos (slide it up and downwards in a rhythm). I guess with a DSi you could pull the cable out and plug it back in, in a rhythm :).

-Walk around, jump in the audience

-I asked random people to play with the pattern mode at live shows (luckily my DS did not got stolen)

-I asked freestyle rappers to join in

-Maybe use an extra instrument

-You could try to mix songs with 2 DSes
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 am

Don't know if there's anyway you can project what you are doing onto a larger screen... like a small camera pointed at your DS if you have it on a podium.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 am

Decktonic wrote:Don't know if there's anyway you can project what you are doing onto a larger screen... like a small camera pointed at your DS if you have it on a podium.
On one hand this is pretty cool, on the other hand people focus more on the screen than the performer.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 am

When i perform live, everything is in pattern mode, i play about with soloing and muting a hell of alot, and like dominator said, turn the pattern lock off to get different length bars and to show your doing things live.

Also when playing solos/bits on the keyboard of the ds-10, i often turn slightly so im facing the side of the stage and the crowd can see the keyboard (i try not to have my back to the audience)

Also if you make a mistake, the chances are, noone will notice anyway except you, so dont worry :)

Most importantly, HAVE FUN ! I have the time of my life performing live, and when i saw 150 people all moving to my music, it made me feel so good inside !
Hope this helps !
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

bryface

Post by bryface » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm

AnthonySeeha wrote: Any tips for an exciting performance?
three words: WORK THE HIPS

trnsprnt

Post by trnsprnt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Rise your fists and stare at the audience.

By the way, Neon is a kick ass song and you they are going to be impressed. Are you going to record it?

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 am

@bryface LOL I'll be sure to work my hips during the performance. xD
@trnsprnt Thank you! I'll ask someone to record a video. I don't have any equipment to record direct audio. :/

Wow, lots of contributions here; thank you very much! ^-^
I'll keep these tips in mind when I'm performing. The only problem is that I'm confined to a stage. >.<
So I'll be lonely up there. But yeah, I'll move around. Maybe I could get some lighting effects too.
Once again, thank you for all of the tips! :)

If you have any more ideas, please continue to post. My audition is next Monday, and the Show isn't until a couple more weeks. ^-^

ubey

Post by ubey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:00 am

just dance and relax yo! thrusting left, centre, right and panning the bassline at the same time would be epic!
if all else fails, dress like a duck or something equally humorous or yellow.

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm

@ubey Ahahaaha! xD Hopefully nothing will go wrong. ^-^

But, I'm getting rather intimidated now. ._.
I don't know if I can make the cut. I'll probably explain to the judges that I made every single sound and composed the song myself.

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:51 am

Alright, I just had my audition today. Basically, it was my first performance for an audience!
It was really fun, and I hope I get picked to play in the Talent Show!

I made some observations after my performance...
~People didn't notice when I messed up. I clicked the wrong pattern and played a couple wrong notes in a keyboard solo. I asked a couple of my friends and they didn't hear anything wrong with it. Improvise if you mess up, don't stop!
~I noticed that performing with a DS-10 is much like performing with a microphone. Singers walk around with a microphone in their hand. I walked around with a DSi in my hands. That thought gave me a bit more confidence.
~Exaggerated motions could help. I'm pretty sure that made people know that I did something.
~Get the crowd involved. During the real concert, I could probably get people to clap their hands or wave their arms in the air. That way, the audience can be a part of the music too.

I have two weeks and a day from now until my Talent Show.
I'll add some more tips if I think about any. ^-^

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Be confident of your own abilities (you certainly should be) and everything will be fine.

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 pm

@ugocapeto For sure. Confidence is the key to a good performance too. ^-^

So I was messing around with my Korg DS-10 Plus today. After playing songs one after another, I realized that the sound quality of NEON decreased when I played it. :/
The bass line wasn't as heavy as it was before, you know? I'm not entirely sure, but I think the DS-10+ saves something into its internal memory, therefore lowering sound quality.

As a solution, you could reset the software. I started up NEON after the boot up and the bass was restored.
I'm not sure if most of you experience this, but I suppose this is the best way to get the best sound quality. ^-^

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Tue May 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Heh, well, it looks like I'm not eligible for the money prize anymore.
Apparently, my performance isn't visual enough. x_x
But, it's kinda true.

@Decktonic, the camera thing could have been a good idea.

Plus, they let me be the opening act. Meaning that I play for the audience while they settle in. D:
Oh well. I'm retaliating by extending Neon with more solos and loops. xD
And, I'll be getting most of the audience to support me. ^-^

Just to let you know, a school Talent Show is NOT the best place to perform with a DSi.
I suppose performing where people appreciate it would be the most suitable. :]

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 pm

AnthonySeeha wrote:The bass line wasn't as heavy as it was before, you know? I'm not entirely sure, but I think the DS-10+ saves something into its internal memory, therefore lowering sound quality.

As a solution, you could reset the software. I started up NEON after the boot up and the bass was restored.
I'm not sure if most of you experience this, but I suppose this is the best way to get the best sound quality. ^-^
I've noticed this too. I've noticed that on my track for the Health and Safety comp the bass is louder when it comes back in half way through the track. I eventually tracked it down to the fact that the oscillators don't seem to reset between patterns. This means that when the oscillators are tuned to the same note they sometimes fall in phase, sometimes out of phase causing cancellation and therefore mess up the harmonics and loudness. So I guess on ds-10 if you want stable sounds then avoid un synced oscillators / oscillators that aren't detuned away from each other,or just turn the mix over to one oscillator. Hope that makes sense.

Good thread by the way. I wish i had the guts to stand up in front of a room of people and perform. I'm making do with youtube for now, but maybe one day i'll get there :D

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Ughhhh, things are going downhill. x_x

So we had a rehearsal today. Turns out that my school doesn't have a cable that's long enough to reach the stage.
Also, the quality of the speakers were pretty bad too; they're making so much white noise! -.-
(And I banged my knee on the stage, but that's not important. >.<)

@ubey I'm considering dressing like a duck or something equally humorous or yellow. (Not really. xD)

Here's a question: How do YOU play your DS-10 loudly?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Maybe you should rent/borrow your own speaker/amp and whatever else you need to perform on stage. Don't let crappy school tech ruin your performance.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 am

Decktonic wrote:Maybe you should rent/borrow your own speaker/amp and whatever else you need to perform on stage. Don't let crappy school tech ruin your performance.
Decktonic, you're a genius. Haha, I don't even know why I didn't think of that! xD
Thank you for that last minute option! The show is TOMORROW. Wish me luck. :lol:

Hm. Okay, so I have access to two high quality computer audio systems.
I think I'll be turning them up to maximum volume. Hopefully, they're loud enough for an entire gym to hear. (._.)

trnsprnt

Post by trnsprnt » Thu May 13, 2010 10:34 am

Hey, why don't you buy the longer cable yourself? It can't be that much expensive!

It's a shame that you didn't pass the selection, by the way. I often listen to Neon, Anthony. I think you are very talented!

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Thank you very much, trnsprnt! Well, the students of the Student Council thought I would be a wonderful act.
The Teachers, on the other hand, didn't think I'd be visually appealing. -.-
So, they concluded that I should be the background music player when people are entering the gym. Wonderful.

On a positive note, this is my first opportunity to perform with Korg DS-10+ in front of an entire school of 700 people.
I'm going to get lots of support from the audience members. ^-^

And, it's too late to purchase a cable now... The show is today! xD