Tips to start doing live performances?

The Industrialism

Tips to start doing live performances?

Post by The Industrialism » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Hello everybody. I bring a question that is on my mind for a while and that is on everyone's mind beginners on the subject: the first live performance.

During my vacation, I want to do at least one live performance to promote my project. The idea I had is to do a live peformance on the street with my set. The idea was: take all my set (notebook, consoles and etc.) to a public square with good foot traffic in the morning to present my music and my project. I intend to record the work in video and audio, to publicate the project and make a release of this in free-DVD iso and audio, named "Emptiness: Live." The idea was going so inside that I called the project as "Emptiness with DS-10: Street Live Tour".

So what would be best? Start making show on the street, ask permitis with police and etc? Or do small gigs in small venues to promote the project? Unfortunately, here in Rio is difficult to have an event of chiptune or electronic music, then it becomes difficult, so the way are make solo live performances in small venues. A small venues like Cavern Club with electronica-alike would be good.

If anyone has tips and suggestions, or even have gone through similar experience, be very welcome.

Thanks!
— M1A1.

alexusual

Re: Tips to start doing live performances?

Post by alexusual » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:44 am

What I did was go to a small local undergroundy type bar and asked if I could have 1 night a month to have an open laptop night, where anybody who makes music with laptops can come and play. That way I got to play and other people in the same situation of wanting to play but not having a venue got to come and play too. It never got massive but sometimes we had quite a few people and it ran for 2 years.
More importantly, through that I met a lot of good friends and electronic musicians and ended up playing at much bigger venues.
Now I am starting a similar concept but for handhelds, where anybody who jams a handheld can come and play.

The best thing for me was just to do it, because thats what I really wanted to do!

By the way, your street performance idea sounds like great fun - u never know who'll be walking down that street :D

Good Luck!
If in doubt, feed the VCO2 into something ..

Rock Kandy

Post by Rock Kandy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:03 am

Ive busked at train station :)
Just placed my amp down and got it
going. Police can go screw themselves
>;}

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Rock Kandy wrote:Ive busked at train station :)
Just placed my amp down and got it
going. Police can go screw themselves
>;}
Nice :D How was the response?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Rock Kandy

Post by Rock Kandy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Pretty good I was just looking to turn heads haha
some skater kids liked it and some random elderly woman which I was suprised by.
I'd like to do it more