Decktonic live in NYC

Decktonic

Decktonic live in NYC

Post by Decktonic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 am

So my first show went pretty well... I basically played for a crowd of 15 friends, which is the ideal first show, much easier than playing for strangers. Also everything that could have gone wrong, did... I had trouble with my mixer, with the sound, with my laptop, with remembering how to play my songs, with the venue, etc. etc. At one point I had to play one of my DS10 songs off my laptop because I couldn't get sound from my DSi, only to discover later that the channel on the mixer was muted... stuff like that. Anyway, here's the super-fun video:

I played 4 DS10 songs and 5 Ableton Live songs. At one point this super-wasted chick walked right up to me and said something in my ear... and I couldn't hear her. She did it again, and I still couldn't hear her. She did it again, and finally I realized it was a song title... she was requesting a song. A song I hadn't even heard of before. And so I said to her, "OH, YOU THINK I'M A DJ. NO. I'M SORRY. NO." She looked kinda hurt, but she didn't bug me after that.

Anyway, I had fun. If you weren't there, you missed it :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

AudioArtist

Re: Decktonic live in NYC

Post by AudioArtist » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 am

It's always funny/annoying when people come up to you to request a song While you're playing something else.
Happens at every gig I play with my cover band. Really, can't you wait until we finish this song?

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:58 am

Great man! Have fun?
Thats the main thing.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 pm

AudioArtist wrote:It's always funny/annoying when people come up to you to request a song While you're playing something else.
Happens at every gig I play with my cover band. Really, can't you wait until we finish this song?
Yeah I was fortunate enough that when she came up to me, the song was at a point that plays itself... but it was still very annoying. And what's worse is that when you are playing your cover band, it's expected that you can play requests... she, on the other hand, heard electronic music and thought I was a DJ, even though I wasn't playing like a DJ plays! It really irked me.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:02 pm

AudioArtist wrote:It's always funny/annoying when people come up to you to request a song While you're playing something else.
Hope you had fun Deck!

It happens all the time with my band. We play covers as well but in a particular style. We play lots of Stax stuff and James Brown and the Meters plus a bit of 70's disco/funk. Inevitably some drunk arse walks up to the stage mid-song and requests "Mr Jones" or some such thing. It's like - "uh have you been listening at all?" Just irksome.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:05 pm

HarleyLikesMusic wrote:Great man! Have fun?
Thats the main thing.
Yeah of course! I learned a lot too. And in the end, all my gear works well, once I was able to set everything up properly :)

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Watched the Video today! I would say the gig was a success, people were diggin it and it seemed like the sound was good.
Looking forward to the next?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 pm

AudioArtist wrote: Looking forward to the next?
I'm looking forward to many, many more.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 am

Decktonic wrote:
AudioArtist wrote: Looking forward to the next?
I'm looking forward to many, many more.
That's the best answer.
BTW if you ever run into a guy named Baxter Crabtree up there, speak with him. He's an old buddy of mine and shares similar interests. But, NYC, NYC is a big place so....

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 am

AudioArtist wrote: BTW if you ever run into a guy named Baxter Crabtree up there, speak with him. He's an old buddy of mine and shares similar interests. But, NYC, NYC is a big place so....
You mean this guy?
http://twitter.com/baxtercrabtree

because I used to work with him.... we were coworkers.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 am

Last time someone asked for a request I told him I only speak French, and it really scared him away :D
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Sadly french people are known for being only fluent in french ...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Geolm wrote:Sadly french people are known for being only fluent in french ...
Haha, wel all Dutch people get educated in French, German, English and Dutch, and mostly they run out of energy after German, English and Dutch. So after highschool they have a French trauma.

ps. Nice clip Deck. Keep it up.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Decktonic wrote:
AudioArtist wrote: BTW if you ever run into a guy named Baxter Crabtree up there, speak with him. He's an old buddy of mine and shares similar interests. But, NYC, NYC is a big place so....
You mean this guy?

because I used to work with him.... we were coworkers.
Yeah, that's Baxter alright. Small World.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 pm

AudioArtist wrote:
Decktonic wrote:I used to work with him.... we were coworkers.
Yeah, that's Baxter alright. Small World.
Yeah this is blowing my mind right now... wow. I'll have to convince him to come out if I have another show.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Definitely try to get him out to a show man. We went to middle>high school together, played in a band etc.
He used to go by DJ Mercutio, but I don't know if he still mixes or not?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 pm

AudioArtist wrote:Definitely try to get him out to a show man. We went to middle>high school together, played in a band etc.
He used to go by DJ Mercutio, but I don't know if he still mixes or not?
No, as far as I know he stopped before he started working at Large Animal Games, which is where I met him. I think he was in charge of the music for their holiday party, though :)

soultron

Post by soultron » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Seems like a good way to start! Get used to having a few problems, and then they won't seem like problems. Next time will be even bigger.