Stuttering voice when recording on KAOS pad

technopiper

Stuttering voice when recording on KAOS pad

Post by technopiper » Mon May 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Whenever I tried to record while using the KAOS pad, I get a stuttering voice. The "Voice=" value kept switching between 1 and 0, even when I hold the stylus still. Everything is normal when I am not recording. Does anyone know where the problem lies? Thanks!

PuglyWont

Re: Stuttering voice when recording on KAOS pad

Post by PuglyWont » Tue May 31, 2011 4:48 am

I think in record mode the Kaos pad locks the notes to the grid automatically... it's doing the quantizing in real time. I think that's what you are experiencing...
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

technopiper

Post by technopiper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 am

Thank you for the explanation. Is there a way I can disable that or extend the duration of a note? I can while recording with keyboard. In the sequencer all I had to do is point and drag.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 am

It's a bit annoying thing...As much as I can see, If you want to control the duration of the notes you have to play exclusively on the top band of the kaoss pad screen. There you can get notes as long as you want by holding them. Below of that you get this ugly stuttering effect (repeated notes of 0 to 1 value). That makes the vertical axis pretty useless, when it could have been used to control dynamics for a much more natural feeling. That really disappointed me. I can't figure out why they made it like that.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Are you talking about the vertical axis being set to gate by default or something different? I'm pretty sure if you change the value of the vertical axis the "stutter" will disappear. Setting the release value high has the effect of minimizing this on some sounds as well.

technopiper

Post by technopiper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

WMRhapsodies, thanks for your reply. You solved my problem!

Syscrusher, yes, I believe "gate" is the term I was looking for. How do I change the value of the vertical axis? and how do I set the release value? Thanks!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:10 pm

technopiper wrote:Syscrusher, yes, I believe "gate" is the term I was looking for. How do I change the value of the vertical axis? and how do I set the release value? Thanks!
The release value is on the bottom right of the SYN EDIT page. The release controls how long the note will decay after the key is released. Setting the release value high has the effect of disguising the gate.

Whoops, you can't change the axis parameters on kaoss pad 1. My bad. However after recording on the kaoss pad you can go to the gate page in SYN SEQ and change it.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Syscrusher wrote:
technopiper wrote:Syscrusher, yes, I believe "gate" is the term I was looking for. How do I change the value of the vertical axis? and how do I set the release value? Thanks!
The release value is on the bottom right of the SYN EDIT page. The release controls how long the note will decay after the key is released. Setting the release value high has the effect of disguising the gate.

Whoops, you can't change the axis parameters on kaoss pad 1. My bad. However after recording on the kaoss pad you can go to the gate page in SYN SEQ and change it.
DS10 is so great isn't it? :D

Board index ‹ KORG M01 General :mrgreen:

------

You'r welcome technopiper. Glad of being of some help.

Of course you can still set the release on M01 (on the bottom of the select sound screen: A stands for attack, R for release), but still the effect is not as good as in DS10. Even if KAOSS pad 1 on DS10 works pretty much the same way I didn`t noticed this annoying stuttering thing till I put my hands on M01.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Whoops :oops: I oughta read the thread header...there's M01 stuff on here now dontchaknow.