M01 worth 100 dollars?

Lowlander

M01 worth 100 dollars?

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello i saw on ebay, the nintendo ds ms01 costs about 100 dollars..
is it worth that much money?
or do you know anywhere you can get it cheaper

thanks

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: MS01 worth 100 dollars?

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 pm

100 seems to be the normal price, I think it's expensive, but the program is very good.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Cfgk24

Re: MS01 worth 100 dollars?

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Worth every penny, (cent?)
If you do ever get fed up with it or decide you don't want to use it - then sell it on on Ebay and get your money back :)

tetsujin

Re: M01 worth 100 dollars?

Post by tetsujin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

I want to try a little spin on this question:

I figure M01 is probably worth $100 to me. But given the limitations one has to work with on the DS (i.e. no backing up one's data, no interfacing to other gear, sound quality as good as the DS's audio circuitry is willing to provide) would it be better to put that money toward a used QY70 or something? Of course a question like that is subjective. The nice thing about a DS cart for me is it's easy to carry around along with my DS. A separate piece of gear would be much less convenient for just messing around at random times. But there would be advantages to that direction as well: hardware buttons are pretty valuable, especially since the DS touchscreen isn't multi-touch.

I have a flash card (which somewhat mitigates the data back-up issue) but I am wary of pirating M01 to try it out. I don't want to succumb to the temptation to keep using it without buying it properly. :)

PuglyWont

Post by PuglyWont » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

I had a QY100 and Korg M01 is a world's difference in terms of usability. The QY100 had all the features it needed to compose and sequence music, but the user interface was so horrible that it made it really hard to compose. I guess you could hook up a midi keyboard and do it that way, but that defeats the portability. You could also play a tune on those tiny chiclet keys... but that was frustrating for obvious reasons.

The piano roll editing on M01 is brilliant, with copy, paste and delete. You also get the Kaoss pad thing, and the touch screen keyboard... which is actually easier to use than the chiclet keys... although no chords. You really get a lot of functionality for what it is, even at 100 dollars.
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 pm

PuglyWont wrote:I had a QY100 and Korg M01 is a world's difference in terms of usability. The QY100 had all the features it needed to compose and sequence music, but the user interface was so horrible that it made it really hard to compose. I guess you could hook up a midi keyboard and do it that way, but that defeats the portability. You could also play a tune on those tiny chiclet keys... but that was frustrating for obvious reasons.

The piano roll editing on M01 is brilliant, with copy, paste and delete. You also get the Kaoss pad thing, and the touch screen keyboard... which is actually easier to use than the chiclet keys... although no chords. You really get a lot of functionality for what it is, even at 100 dollars.
I'm still grappling with the decision, kind of leaning toward a QY-70 in part because of those physical keys. I always had trouble tapping out things on the touch screen (of DS-10) and getting the kind of rhythm out of it that I wanted... It just never seemed very responsive. Chiclet buttons aren't so great, either, but at least it's a physical button...

On the other hand, the QY-70 is a massive brick of a machine by today's standards... The low-res monochrome display and RS-232 connectivity really hearkens back to another era of hardware design. M01 doesn't support any export/import but solving that problem with my R4 cart and some creative hacking may actually be more rewarding than dealing with the antiquated nature of QY-70 connectivity... <sigh> Such decisions.

I think M01 may actually make more sense to me, but I'm still leaning toward the QY70 for some reason... Maybe I just feel better about putting that kind of money into hardware rather than software. Maybe I don't like the idea that I'm paying an extra $30 to import it. Maybe it's 'cause I like Freezepop. I don't really know. <sigh>

PuglyWont

Post by PuglyWont » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 pm

It's hard to say then, you'd probably do better with the QY70... it works more as a 'conventional' instrument than M01.

For me I love a good piano roll editor... so the M01 is about perfect.

When I got the QY-70 I was really excited to be able to write and compose music anywhere. But I just could not get anything satisfying musically out of it... it has some cool auto chord features... but I need something to visualize all the notes in one place. I even resorted to laying out all the notes on graph paper... which is quite silly.
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Actually, The M01 keyboard (and Kaoss pad) is very sensitive if you play it live without the Sequencer running.

I use 2 Mo1 - one on each of my 2 DSi - I play the live parts on 1 of them and the whilst the song is being played on the other one. :)

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:Actually, The M01 keyboard (and Kaoss pad) is very sensitive if you play it live without the Sequencer running.

I use 2 Mo1 - one on each of my 2 DSi - I play the live parts on 1 of them and the whilst the song is being played on the other one. :)
I don't see how it could be better than the keyboard on DS-10, and I never found the touchscreen keyboard on DS-10 to be all that responsive, personally. Though it's possible that the real culprit is my aging DS, or the default stylus...

In any case - I went for the QY-70. I guess in time I'll find out if it was the right choice for me. It certainly sounds like M01 has a lot going for it, particularly in terms of editing capabilities... Maybe at some point down the road I'll give it a spin.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 am

Lol, no the problem is the software, I don't understand why - but on the korg M01 keyboard, the response is so fast that I can play fast triplets with my stylus - it's not like that on the DS10+
you will see what I mean when you put them side by side and play them both.

Incidentally, M01 seems to appear much crisper on the DSi screen whilst on the 3ds screen, the text is a little soft focus - enought o be noticeable. also , on the 3ds, the touch screen is sometimes a little less responsive - I think due to the changes in screen size between the 2 consoles and the software being written for DSi and not 3ds....