Korg M01 Study Notes

Cfgk24

Korg M01 Study Notes

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 pm

I am making notes as I progress through the Program. Obviously - I can't translate the Japanes Instruction Manual - lol - now I'm finding that I can't attach txt documents so I'll just paste it here for now - unless someone can help me with uploading docs?

Cfgk24

Re: Korg M01 Study Notes

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Korg M01 Music Workstation Study notes:

The Korg M01 differs significantly over the Korg DS10.
There is a large database of pcm Sounds to use. These sounds are not very alterable like the DS10. The only parameters that can be changed seems
to be - Attack, Release. FX.

Once set up with your 8 chosen voices - these are your only choices throught your song,
The drum Kits and percussions are of a fixed pitch - unlike DS10 - although each pitch is assigned to a different individual percussion item and some of the
drum sets have
the same type of drum prgrammed at different pitches to enable you to sequence pitched percussion.
For example - the top end of the keyboard may have pitched chimes
assigned to it whilst the lower end may have toms. etc.

Five buttons adorn the top edge of the lower screen - these buttons are labelled on the top screen.
Their functions changes depending on the screen selected.
On the main screen these are:

Button 1 - Select, copy,, Erase,, Insert, Delete - This applies to the whole bar - These functions allow you to manipulate the entire bar around the lowerscreen. You can cycle through these by tapping the button

Button 2 - Set - This button takes you to another screen that allows you to change the Master Tempo and also the tempo of individual bars.
This screen also allows you to set the 'Swing' of the entire piece - no individual bar swing is possible.
The number of steps per bar is changeable here - both on a Master level and for individual bars.
'Scene Lock' is enabled/disabled here. This 'Lock' button has the same function as Korg Ds-10 - it ensures the bar is played
completley before being manually switched to another bar.

Button 3 - Kaos - takes you to the Kaos pad for the selected instrument - In Kaos pad screen - instruments can be cycled through using the B button,
although this only cycles through the instruments in one direction. Y and A buttons play previous bar and nect bar respectively.

Button 4 - Keyboard - this takes you to the Keyboard for the selected instrument. Again the instruments can be cycled through using the B button.
Here can be selected the chosen octave, Solo function for the chosen instrument. Tone allows a different instrument to be chosen
Rec allows you to start recording using the keyboard in real time. Use the loop function here to record just ine bar correctly.
Recording is locked into the Fixed Step rhythm.
Button 5 - Mix - Takes you to the Mixing desk - allowing you to set volume for each individual instrument - Mute and Solo functions appear here as well as
Pan ratios to allow stereo effect in the Mix.

Note DUration.
Each individual note may be selected and have it's duration (or Gate) altered - even down to 0.25 allowing for excellent expressivity

VOlume
Each individual note may be selected and have it's volume altered useing the 'velo' button on the sequencer page
These may also be altered in 'Groups' by dragging a selct box over the relevant notes to be changed. This allows for for a truly amazing amount of control over a song .

Tones - or 'voices' - eg guitar, horn etc - the Attack and Release may be altered.

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey Cfgk24, welcome to the forums! And thank you for all of this new information on the M01. :D
How is the sound quality overall? Are there any issues with the program? Does it feel like you have a lot of freedom when you're making a song? How long can a single pattern be? How many songs can you save in total?

Oh boy. I'm just really intrigued by the M01. I hope there's an official release date for the rest of the world soon.
Plus, if anybody can find a video showcasing every single M01 instrument, I'd like to hear it. :)
I'll ask more questions later. xD

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Lol, there doesn't need to be an official release date for the rest of the world - just get it off ebay. . . .
I'mjust about to post my first - very basic track - . . . . .
I'll update the Notes that I am taking as e go along.

You can save 10 songs on a Cart.
The sound quality is pretty good - My initial feelings are that although they are trying to emulate real instruments - it doesn't quite get there. . . The DS10+ can create all it's own sounds to sound 'real' wheareas M01 still feels a bit flat in places tonally - but I'm wokring on using the 'reverb' to adjust that - there is also a 'Delay' Function.
It's a very powerful Compositional tool - in a different way to DS10+ - I can see myself releasing a DS10 + Album but probably not an M01 album.
As with all these things - it's important ot have good hardware to reproduce your sounds. I've got a pair of Roland Cakewalk 15 Monitors to reproduce all those lovely rich subfrequencies and a pair of B&W P5 headphones too. They make allthe difference to your work . . .
Last edited by Cfgk24 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:51 pm

M01 Sequencer -
The sequencer has 99 'bars'
Each bar can be adjusted up to 64 beats
Each bar can have it's own tempo
The loop option only loops one bar
The track finishes at the end and doesn't return to the beginning unless in live play - you select another bar to play

the sequencer runs 8 voices - but each voice has full polyphony so chords are very easy to create.
Each voice has a pan setting across the stereo effect and the volume sliders are easy to control.

The Piano roll screen has Select, drag and paste and even copy and paste options. The Piano keys sound when you tap them so you know which pitch you are writing.

You can Insert, Copy, Delete whole bar pattern or Erase the notes within the bar pattern from the Main screen.
Copying one bar quickly form instrument to instrument is very easy and quick.

A and Y buttons take you to the Next/Previous Bar respectively.
B Button cycles downward only through the Voices to select the next voice.
X starts and stops playing only.
The L and R buttons do nothing as does the crosspad. you cannot switch between the top and bottom screens but then there is no need to.
The start button takes you back to the Main screen
Select does nothing.. . . . . . . .

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 am

MAN. Korg M01 must be totally amazing. It must be pretty versatile, too.
My parents won't let me buy anything off of the internet. x_x
I really need to find somebody nearby that can do that. >.<

The Industrialism

Post by The Industrialism » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Man! M01 is f**king great! Sadly don't have a shipper/store who solds here on Brazil, so I'm a "rom needer". I'm so sad man...

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 am

M01 does not have a multiplayer option that I can find. It does have an upload/download option but as I only have one copy of the cart, I can't test it out. It does not sync with ds 10+

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:07 pm

UPdate on living with Korg M01:

Well, I'm finding the Loop function fine for editing 1 bar - however the fact tht the piece doesn't restart when it gets to the end is frustrating as on DS-10+ I like to leave the piece running on my House speakers and I pick up little correctins and tweaks that I want to do. with M01 - you have to physically restart the song.

The Copy/Erase/Delete/Insert functions are fantastic to work with - you can insert whole new parts of songs without having to edit the song patterns at all - you just click 4 times on the bar number to insert 4 whole bars for all 8 instruments. Would love studd like this on Korg DS10 plus 2
Note selection is great using the multiple select drag window and the transpose whole patterns of note feature is very useful.

It's a Fantastic Compositional tool - for arranging and composing. The sound generation is just not up to what you can get on DS10...

It takes longer to learn to Fly a DS10 than an M01 - but I think the rewards are greater on DS10. . .

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:56 am

Just started fiddling with it, having quite some fun! But now I hear instruments dropping out because i'm going over the max polyphony :(. I'm going to have to kill some darlings :)
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:45 am

Lol, Where did you get your Copy of M01 from?

I haven't tried maxing out the Polyphony yet. . .

New discovery:
1. select 'Copy' or 'Select' on the Main screen - highlight the Bar number at the top of the sequencer and drag it along the screen and you can paste ALL 8 instruments in a new bar! :o

soultron

Post by soultron » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:39 pm

All the ones on Ebay are far too expensive. I'll have to wait until I can get it cheaper or see if anyone I know if japan can send it over. Cripes.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:Lol, Where did you get your Copy of M01 from?
from a good Japanese friend :)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 pm

soultron wrote:All the ones on Ebay are far too expensive. I'll have to wait until I can get it cheaper or see if anyone I know if japan can send it over. Cripes.
It's expensive anyway ¥ 5980 = 72.55534 U.S. dollars

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:50 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
soultron wrote:All the ones on Ebay are far too expensive. I'll have to wait until I can get it cheaper or see if anyone I know if japan can send it over. Cripes.
It's expensive anyway ¥ 5980 = 72.55534 U.S. dollars
No Pain - No Gain :|

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 am

Ok - I now have 2 copies of M01 -
Unfortunately - I can't sync them together!!!!
There is no multiplayer option.

I can Upload and Download files from cart to cart using 2 DSi's but that is all......

small rocks

Re: Korg M01 Init Song

Post by small rocks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 pm

hello CFGK or anyone here using the nifty M01..

My question is has anyone loaded the INIT file from the Play page of the menu... I'm up to 9 songs now and a couple of them I would not like to lose... but I don't want to lose the Song 10 if thats the only way to start a song from a blank slate... does INIT load an initialized song OR will it initialize the whole machine and wipe the songs.. should have tried this at the start but now I'm too far gone to risk it and my japanese none existant.. plus its way too expensive to buy another cart just yet.... a rom like the ds10 would be ideal for backing up songs,,

cheers for any info on this...

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Init is a the default Blank music Canvas File that you can upload to start a new song or to doodle around with.

It does not wipe anything if you load it up - you just get a fresh file to work from
Also - you can't save anything in the Init file - you have to save your work in song 1- 10

Hope this helps

Biopharmer

Post by Biopharmer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 am

When selecting notes to copy them, the screen autmatically scrolls left and right, but not up and down, so I can't copy and paste notes that span more than an octave.

Also, on the top screen's "LCD" screen, there's a parameter that says "EDIT=". What does that mean?

Also, my copy has two demosongs labelled Bonus-1 and Bonus-2 (Bonus-2 composed by the guy who composed Chrono Trigger's music), are these extra with the Amazon.co.jp version?

I don't know if you noted this already but the select button kills all the notes playing (In case of stuck notes I guess, but that's not really much of a problem).
A proud DS-10 and M01 owner. I'm using a DS Lite. Portable computer-liberated music will rule the world.

small rocks

Post by small rocks » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks CFGK...
Yes that helps a lot.... means I can use that song 10 slot for another sketch/track ... and stops my paranoia that the init is a kind of self destruct button that wipes everything...

Hope Detune stop being all nintendo and release a US/euro version soon with english manual... though apart from the init thing I don't think there are any mysteries left in this M01 for me now.... which is actually a good thing as you end up concentrating on sequencing more variations and more structured music and doing more of that ancient black art: 'arranging' ...