Korg M01 Study Notes

small rocks

Re: Korg M01 Study Notes

Post by small rocks » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 am

indeed Biopharmer, the lack of scrolling when selecting is a b@gg@r... the LCD thing with EDIT: refers to what step of the song you are in... you can program all instruments in all blocks without going to the main page .. Y & A move you back and forth through the patterns and B scrolls you downwards thru the instrument channels.. The EDIT: will say EDIT:5 or some such according to where you are in your song.. when you are in the piano roll screen ( and the song screen ) holding the Left shoulder button down and cursor left or right will move you by whole pages instead of having to use the pen on the arrows to scroll in increments..

small rocks

Post by small rocks » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 am

also I guess its not entirely true when CFGK says that the drums in the kits are fixed pitch... each sound in a kit can be tuned. when you are in the TONE selection page and have yr kit hilighted ... go to the bottom of the page and highlight the drum # window .. you can scroll thru each individual sound ( cursor up & down ) and then highlight the windows L ( changes volume for that sound T ( changes pitch of that sound 15 increments , maybe semitones?? can't tell ) and P ( changes the pan of that sound ) so you can 'tune up ' a drum kit or SFX kit.. two or 3 copies of the same kit with different pitches makes a more versatile percussion section..

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Ah! Yes! You can change the pitch of the drums! I never noticed those three parameters L, T and P at the bottom of the Tone screen.
It is still not possible to write a melody using the snare (for example) as the pitch change applies to the whole tune.

And the Hold down L and use left and right on the joypad to move whole pages across in the Main screen - well, I guess, I just couldn't read japanese lol to find out that one!

small rocks

Post by small rocks » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

no,, yr right, you couldn't easily write a melody using the snare,,, even if you had each of the eight channels as the same kit with the snare tuned differently it would still be a bit painstaking to do that ( though not impossible ) at least the M01 has got the capacity to be 8 drum kits if you really wanted a percussion frenzy...
It really does need the ability to loop around more than one pattern whilst recording.. I wonder if detune will go the + direction and do a DSi version?? ability to apply the effects per pattern ( in the SET menu ) would be great..

Biopharmer

Post by Biopharmer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 pm

It would have been nice to be able to turn the effect send off and on for individual drums in a kit.
OT: I'm not really into house music, but the M01 (and the actual M1 I guess) makes it easy. Organ2.
A proud DS-10 and M01 owner. I'm using a DS Lite. Portable computer-liberated music will rule the world.

davidevoid

Post by davidevoid » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the notes cfg24, really helpful, just got this myself. I can see a lot of limitations compared to the DS-10 but I can see something different in the M01 also. This is much more a composition tool where as with the DS-10 you are experimenting with wave forms and sculpting and designing sound. They both have their merits but they're VEEERY different beasts. (Can't beat the DS-10 though!)

Will upload a track soon, at the moment I can't compose a track, I'm in the black hole of a never ending loop with no structure, ugh! I'm hoping to navigate out of it soon though.

Duty Now For The Future