M01 Sound Change Hack

ptmir

M01 Sound Change Hack

Post by ptmir » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

i want to buy the real M01 when is for selling in Europe... but for now i am working in a rom image of it
and i found a way to change the sounds of the M01 so i can customize them , i did try on several , but to do
the all new sounds i need some help , i can send the RAW sounds file to you , so we can make them new,
all that is needed i think... is to maintain the time each one is .... say for example that at a certain point
there is a Piano sound with duration of 0,5 seconds then we can replace with a new sound but must have
0,5 seconds or less , i think some one that knows programming could build a litle program were we could
load that RAW file data and then we could replace the only sounds we want , and then build this new file
so i can rebuild the ROM with the new sound :)

i have changed some of them already by hand using soundforge but is a lot of work just for one man... lol

Sound Great

Cfgk24

Re: I found a way to change the sounds on M01

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 am

Wow! BRilliant!
It does make sense I guess as all the sounds on the M01 are pre-loaded - and they have to be preloaded onto somewhere. It just depends on how the sounds are stores and in what format..

DS10 stores a sound as a set of values and then applies those values to the wave generator but M01 just sets off a trigger . .. . . .Let's see where this leads. . . . .

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Haha awesome. Not quite legal of course, but this is hacking for a good cause!

Don't count on M01 ever coming outside Japan, so if you want to support it order it.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Tao

Post by Tao » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Sounds cool I guess. But i dont really understand what you are trying to do. I guess you cant do completly new sounds on the M01. So are you going to change the standard attack and release values to others? But it would be cool to have some totally new sounds on the M01 =)

Best wishes on your project!

Tao

EDIT: If it really is so that you can make so we can change the actual sounds then this is really HUGE!!!
I volentair if you need some help. But I cant do any programming or anything like that. But perhaps I can do something else to help you! There are around 300-350 different sounds to chooce from but I only like 100 at most. So if we could build a libary of patches with around 100-200 (+) samples that would be fantastic!

Would it be possible to have some different Arpeggiators as soundchoices? Then I would truly be in heaven and the M01 would be like the best thing that ever happened in my life =)

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Hmmm, sounds very cool.

I suppose getting the new samples to line up with the loop points in the original samples may be a bit of a problem but for the one shot sounds (assuming there are some) and drum sounds this could be great! You could load an altered version with some classic drum machine samples and have some fun. :D

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:07 am

I have just open the audio data file on Sound Forge as a raw audio file then save it as a wav file , then
open in a new software called Wave Surgeon then applied about 45% to find all the sounds points...
and made the program randomize , so the order is now other then the initial , so i get a new wave file
with different sequence on the sounds . i just rebuild the rom with that wav file and the M01 is workin great and getting arty sounds of it :)

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:53 am

Ok, someone make some sounds in DS-10, hack their M01, then write a song with them. Annnnd go.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:00 am

Maths Lesson

M01 = Incredible sequencer Interface= OM
DS10 = Incredible sounds = FG

OM+FG = OMFG

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 am

made a completely new wave file data even with the RIFF WAVEfmt headerl and worked :)

this new file i made as all new sounds i did not bother if they were with right size or even the number of them i just
place a raw of wave data from samplers i have from drum machines not bothering about the results but just for testing
the all , the result was surprising good it worked :)

so next post i will post the REAL M01 wave file data you must change in order to build new customize M01
but i only want to receive the ones that have the right times on it , for example ...
when you open the wave file in Sound Forge you will see a lot of waves :

wav1,wav2,wav3,....

say that wav1 has a duration of 0,5 seconds , there you must place a wav that has the same or less time , and keep
in mind to maintain the volume the they use .
Last edited by ptmir on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am

here is the real M01 WAVE DATA FILE that we can use to manipulate sounds :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4elam0

Tao

Post by Tao » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 am

I just have to say WOW!!

Cool sounds you have in your new file. But does this mean that we will be able to load our own WAVE files?

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 am

you have to download the M01 WAVE DATA FILE.wav then open in an wave editor and replace each sound without
ex-chiding the time they have... , then send me the new :M01 that file so i can rebuild the rom with that new sounds.

"M01 WAVE DATA FILE.wav" is the original sounds from M01

Tao

Post by Tao » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Ok! Im not familiar with WAVE editors. But I could open it in Renoise. But cant to too much tweaking on the sounds. This is going to be really fun if it works =)

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Tao

Post by Tao » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm

WOW! Me wants the thrilling sound =) this is really BIG for the M01 lovers! Hope we can use those cool sounds later!

Psoulocybe

Post by Psoulocybe » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 pm

ptmir, I'm really excited about this prospect. I like the default sound bank, but having access to the library of samples I've made over the years makes this a much more powerful tool. Might even win some more time out of me from Nitrotracker.

Any chance you can share how you got to the file? Is there an easy way to decompress a .nds to get to this file?

Thanks man... If I get my desktop working soon I'll try to get a good source file for you to try.

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:49 pm

1 - open the M01 WAVE DATA FILE http://www.sendspace.com/file/4elam0
on Audacity , the start to cut the sound and save it so that the M01 WAVE DATA FILE is becoming more litle
every time you cut a sample.

2 - you will then get for example:
1.wav 2.wav 3.wav and then the rest of the M01 WAVE DATA FILE

3- then use for example the wave joiner "Shuangs Audio Joiner" and build one wave file form that slices
in order 1.wav+2.wav+3.wav+......+n.wav + The Rest Of M01 WAVE DATA FILE

you must take in count that some times you will find the same sample but in different piths that means they are
used in diferent octaves in the keyboard , but you can make them diferent too ... so say one patch will have
different sounds lay down on the keyboard octaves ... just play with it...

4 - there is a program that can open the rom and extract the files and the rebuild the new one by simple replacing
the new wave data file there , it is called dslazy , so go to the extract folder and replace the
smpldata.bin.mod with the new one , rename the new wave file that "Shuangs Audio Joiner" made to
smpldata.bin.mod , then rebiluld the ROM.

i think i tell you the basics... to work with it .

but the must important think is to appear some one here that could code a program so everyone could do this
new wave that file for M01 ROM on the fly :)

ptmir

Post by ptmir » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:55 pm

i used to play with samples from eeproms from the machines drums like Alesis HR16 , that is calles circuit bending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLhp2bgQq80

at this site they even made a progui that the user can build they own roms for Alesis HR16

http://www.burnkit2600.com/teamwork-worldwide/

imagine such a progui for our M01 :)

Tao

Post by Tao » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm

I just thought about the coolest thing I would like to have on custom M01.

LOTS of CHIPSOUNDS!

The main focus sould be the Amigas MOD music, becuz that has the best sounds with real deep bass and dripping sounds :)

Other sounds that could be included is:
Nintendo NSF, Nintendo SPC, C64 SID etc.. That would totally rock everything :)

Someone intreasted? I dont have the knowledge to make that kind of thing :(

bryface

Post by bryface » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 am

holy cripes, i can't believe i overlooked this thread. Awesome work ptmir - This hackery will enhance the M01's value manyfold! (although finding a way to replace the wav data in a user-friendly way would be required.)

i'd love to use some NES/SNES samples in there, or even some classic MOD samples, to help reduce some of the cheesiness of the default M1 sample set.

I wonder if this might even inspire someone to do more work on a better multisampler for the DS. There's already NItrotracker but development on that seems to have come to a standstill as soon as it became open-source...