Flowers (mistyminds darker side mix)

mistyminds

Flowers (mistyminds darker side mix)

Post by mistyminds » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:12 am

I just finished my first song using M01.
It is a cover of Flowers, originally created by Cardiac Trance on DS-10.

* Flowers (mistyminds darker side mix)

* Flowers - original by Cardiac Trance

I would love if you let me know what you think! :)

Thanks!

UncleBibby

Re: Flowers (mistyminds darker side mix)

Post by UncleBibby » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:40 pm

I like your cover more than the original! No offense, Cardiac. Your cover seems really polished, like you spent a lot of time getting all the little details right, and it doesn't sound like most Korg M01 songs that I've heard (more electronic than most songs).

I'm really looking forward to hearing an original Korg M01 song from you!

If you need inspiration, don't hesitate to look at all the original songs I've posted in this thread. Almost half of them haven't been commented on yet!
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

mistyminds

Post by mistyminds » Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Thank you Uncle Bibby.

My song didn't turn out as originally planned (I liked the clear sounds
and image that Cardiac Trance expressed in her original version)
but I am pretty happy with what I was able to put together.

This was the first song that I had completed using M01 and
it helped me understand the differences compared to
making songs with DS-10.

M01 gives you much more ability to develop the sequences
and a larger choice of "real-life" sounds but DS-10
lets you express you uniqueness thru sound making.

The two are a bit similar but quite different.

I hope to figure out a way to put together the
good points of both DS-10 & M01.

My original song is almost finished.
I hope to share it with everyone as soon as I am done =)

PuglyWont

Post by PuglyWont » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Yeah cool stuff. I like both versions, but your M01 does have sort of a sheen on it.
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

mistyminds

Post by mistyminds » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks PuglyWont! :)
PuglyWont wrote:Yeah cool stuff. I like both versions, but your M01 does have sort of a sheen on it.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu May 26, 2011 12:56 pm

It's sounds really good. These sounds make me more interested in the M01.

davidevoid

Post by davidevoid » Thu May 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Really nice, looking forward to the original track.

I still haven't finished my first track yet, I'm working on a doom horror soundtrack track and also a more slow poppy harp track as I think the M1 harp is really nice.

I'm also doing a a remix cover of Human Rocket by Devo with the vocal lines as synth parts which I think is coming along really well.

One problem I find with the M01 is a can be brainstorming lines and then I just some to a perfect looping phase that I just can't add anything before or after... it's screwed up! I just make these funky one liners!

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

davidevoid wrote:One problem I find with the M01 is a can be brainstorming lines and then I just some to a perfect looping phase that I just can't add anything before or after... it's screwed up! I just make these funky one liners!
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but this might help:

You can insert columns of free space in-between other columns by selecting the INS tool and clicking on the top of a column.

This lets you go back and add sections in-between other sections without having to drag half of them over to the right.

I'm assuming you already know how to copy and paste columns?

davidevoid

Post by davidevoid » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Whoops, didn't proof read my post!

What I meant to say is I get writers block, I write one line of a track, stick it on loop, keep adding more instruments, then, can't think creatively enough to actually change this little one liner into an actual track and end up stuck with a useless track that I can't bring myself to come back to.

Yeah, I know how to use the copy, insert etc functions on the M01, it's not a technical problem but a creative one.

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 pm

davidevoid wrote:Whoops, didn't proof read my post!

What I meant to say is I get writers block, I write one line of a track, stick it on loop, keep adding more instruments, then, can't think creatively enough to actually change this little one liner into an actual track and end up stuck with a useless track that I can't bring myself to come back to.

Yeah, I know how to use the copy, insert etc functions on the M01, it's not a technical problem but a creative one.
I have the same problem sometimes, but I have a few methods for coming up with new melodies:

Playing random chords and notes on a piano until you come up with a few that sound good together, and then expanding on it.

Taking the first two or three notes from a famous melody (indiana Jones, James Bond, Star Trek), and then building a completely original melody from them.

Listening to other people's music until you're inspired enough to try writing a new melody.

If you can't think of a way to expand on a melody, why not try grabbing all the notes from a line and switching them to a different key? Sometimes it's fun to just have one line that changes key all the time.

PuglyWont

Post by PuglyWont » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 am

davidevoid wrote:Whoops, didn't proof read my post!

Yeah... I understand that. I get that all the time. I usually go and make another piece of a tune in a similar vibe from scratch and just try to force them to fit together somehow. There's something strange in composing music... that it's a flowing time based art form... but you create it out of time from a top down perspective.... it's hard to tweak the flow sometimes when the one loop is working fine as it is...
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

mistyminds

Post by mistyminds » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi guys!

I finally finished my first original M01 song! :D

I posted it under this topic -

After Sunset Before Darkness

Hope you like it...! :)