Suplex A Duplex (Drum N Bass N Shakuhachi on Korg M01)

UncleBibby

Suplex A Duplex (Drum N Bass N Shakuhachi on Korg M01)

Post by UncleBibby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby/suplex-a-duplex

This is my attempt at combining Drum N Bass with some traditional Japanese instruments. Do you think I succeeded? I didn't spend as much time on this song as I sometimes do, but I still think I did a pretty darn good job! I hope you like it, constructive criticism is welcome.
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Suplex A Duplex (Drum N Bass N Shakuhachi on Korg M01)

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I like your melodies, and the instruments sound good together! Nice outro as well. Overall maybe a bit chaotic, but that's ok. It's not drum n bass though, doesn't have its groove or tempo, but that doesn't matter.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Snakecharmer

Post by Snakecharmer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm

UncleBibby,

This is brilliant; I can’t stop listening to it! :D I understand what Dominator is saying about it being a little chaotic, but I think that has everything to do with the mix/layering and though, if you’re feeling it’s right, I wouldn’t change a thing, if you were so inclined to work on it more I would polish up the dynamics by playing with the levels. And for a little more groove, I’m not sure the M01 works like the DS-10, but I might try playing with the swing just a little. Just a thought.

Here are my thoughts by the numbers:

Intro 0:00
Epic, no two ways about it.
0:18
Great change up into the drum and bass or whatever it is, haha, and I love the call and response you use with the bass and lead.
Maybe it’s just my headphones but the bass seems like it should be just a little fatter.
0:33
Hard left. That, I dunno, high-hat, sounds like a beatbox, and is just a subtle way do bring it up, well done.
0:47
Drum break is well placed.
0:53
The lead melody reminds me of White Zombie’s cover of Boogie Man.
Lead might benefit from a high pass filter in the recording/mixing stage here, when the lead hits those high notes at 1:07 it’s just mildly abrasive.
1:21
Best part of the song, so goddamn wicked! This is where Samurai Jack starts laying waste to ninjas!
You wrap it up with another tasty little drum break but then head back into the ‘verse’ at 1:55. It’s here, imo, I would opt to build it up to the finish. I would mute everything but the Japanese melody you had going in the ‘bridge’ (1:21) then bring in an ascending bassline, maybe the ‘Boogie Man’ line I was talking about and build up the drums to a crescendo or bass drop and end with your intro melody like you have it.

The length of the song is perfect though.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts; change it or leave it the same, this track kicks! :)

Cheers.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Remix it.

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm

@SnakeCharmer

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to go through the song by the numbers like that! Here's my thoughts:

0:00
Thank you!
0:18
I agree that the bass isn't as fat or loud as I could've made it. Gotta work on my mastering skills!
0:33
Thank you!
0:47
Thank you! I think one of my best abilities is knowing when the listener wants things to change, and changing it accordingly.
0:53
It definitely does get pretty abrasive here, but I don't think Korg M01 has a high-pass filter feature, and I don't usually like to change my songs once they're on my computer. I like to make all the changes I need on the actual Nintendo DSi, just for convenience (I'm a wild and lazy guy!). I think if I lowered the volume of the high pitched notes, it would solve the problem.
1:21
Wow, really? I'm surprised you thought this was the best part of the song. Thank you!
1:55
That is how I would have ended it if I was a SMART person. But unfortunately, I was in a rush to finish the song for some reason (I don't know why I have to force myself to make these songs so quickly; they'd be better if I slowed down, but slowing down isn't one of my favourite things to do). I totally see what you're saying though.

I don't usually redo my songs, just because I like to take what I've learned and make something new (actually it's because I'm lazy) but I might have to make an exception for your ideas. Maybe! Probably not, but maybe!
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...