Safety Pants (Safety Dance on Korg M01)

UncleBibby

Safety Pants (Safety Dance on Korg M01)

Post by UncleBibby » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 am

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby/safety ... y-dance-on

This is a cover of the famous Canadian song Safety Dance, by the one-hit-wonder band Men Without Hats. I hope you like it, constructive criticism is very welcome. Please, leave a comment!
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

Syscrusher

Re: Safety Pants (Safety Dance on Korg M01)

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Nice Job! Fun!

Maybe some more panning would help make the mix more dynamic. The lead line in the original is doubled and panned for added effect - it is the hook of the tune. Maybe the bass should come up a bit and the melody down a bit. The melody is pretty static without vocals/lyrics and would probable benefit from sinking into the mix a bit for added interplay with the other parts.

I would give the Men Without Hats two hit wonder status. They had two international hits with "Safety Dance" (Billboard Hot 100 #3) and later "Pop Goes The World" (Billboard Hot 100 #20). That's pretty good actually. Many bands maintain long and relevant careers without that kind of chart success. I can think of at least a couple other really cool Men Without Hats songs off the top of my head : "I Like" and "Where Do The Boys Go?". I'm sure there is more.

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Nice Job! Fun!

Maybe some more panning would help make the mix more dynamic. The lead line in the original is doubled and panned for added effect - it is the hook of the tune. Maybe the bass should come up a bit and the melody down a bit. The melody is pretty static without vocals/lyrics and would probable benefit from sinking into the mix a bit for added interplay with the other parts.
Thanks!

The bass and the melody in my cover are actually both being played by two instruments each (I had to do that to simulate what the original lead and bass sounded like), so for panning, I suppose I could bring one of the melody instruments and one of the bass instruments to the left, and one of the melody instruments and one of the bass instruments to the right. Or both of the bass instruments to the left and both of the melody instruments to the right. You can't really make individual notes go left or right in Korg M01 (as far as I can tell), so that's probably the best I could do for panning.

For raising the bass and lowering the melody, do you mean volume-wise or octave-wise? For volume, that would be eeeeeasy, but for octave, that would be haaaaard (I'd have to go move all the notes an octave higher, note by note, block by block).
Syscrusher wrote: I would give the Men Without Hats two hit wonder status. They had two international hits with "Safety Dance" (Billboard Hot 100 #3) and later "Pop Goes The World" (Billboard Hot 100 #20). That's pretty good actually. Many bands maintain long and relevant careers without that kind of chart success. I can think of at least a couple other really cool Men Without Hats songs off the top of my head : "I Like" and "Where Do The Boys Go?". I'm sure there is more.
Wow, I didn't know that they had more than that song! The reason I did a cover of this song is A: It's famous and from the 80s. B: It looks like the people in the music video are LARPing. C: I like the song.
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:18 pm

It is a good song eh?

I meant volume.

I had to look up LARPing. Very funny. I always called them Anachronists. The music video is an interesting juxtoposition: Medieval/Synth-pop. The Jester/Dwarf and Wacky Girl also appear in their video for "I Like".

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 pm

nice job on a classic 80's track! :)