mistyminds - "Amitie (mas piano mix) "

mistyminds

mistyminds - "Amitie (mas piano mix) "

Post by mistyminds » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Self remix of Amitie with more piano.

original:

Personally, I like the remix more than the original :)

bryface

Re: mistyminds - "Amitie (mas piano mix) "

Post by bryface » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 pm

thanks for sharing! more piano is good. =)

one point of technique: piano melodies will sound a lot better when you add more variation and humanization to the volume. save the full volume (12-15) for when the melody is approaching high levels of energy. whenever the melodies become lower or less busy, stick to the lower velocities (6-11).

Within the melody lines, accent the notes you think will be the most important in the phrase. notes beforehand or afterward should be adjusted as well to the contour you want to achieve.

Also, think about how the velocities might vary per key when you play the melody on a real piano with your hand - in my experience, Index and middle fingers tend to play keys the loudest. the thumbs play the key slightly lighter, and the little pinky finger plays the lightest.

it's a lot of work to adjust the velocity for each note, but the results are worth it! this technique alone is worthy of a piano study song all its own.

mistyminds

Post by mistyminds » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:57 pm

bryface wrote: it's a lot of work to adjust the velocity for each note, but the results are worth it! this technique alone is worthy of a piano study song all its own.

I know...!!

That's where I slacked off, and you caught me. X-)

Thanks for the advice though.
I really like the 01/W piano sound and hope to use it more.

ratface1987

Post by ratface1987 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:52 am

Agreed... the extra piano is good. Is there any way to simulate ducking compression? To give a little bounce to the chords? Probably not. I don't know, since I don't have MO1. You can fake it with DS-10 and the LFO or volume automation. Anyway, very nice. :)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 am

I really like this. The lack of dynamics in the piano doesn't really bother me much, it just places it as a late 80's early '90's kind of vibe. Like Black Box and other contemporary stuff (that's a compliment). Of course that's the era of the M1 and people really milked it's on-board sequencer and came up with all kinds of mono-dynamic piano riffs. Actually the bass sound reminds me of the predominant bass sound from New order's "Technique" album - also of the late 80s. Check it out: Oh and great job! Excellent tune and overall vibe. A fan.