A slow, housey version of Toto's Africa

Barfunkel

A slow, housey version of Toto's Africa

Post by Barfunkel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I don't usually do covers but here we go anyway!

A slow, loopy house version of Toto's Africa:

https://soundcloud.com/user4904810/supe ... -the-intro

As usual, there's a bit of EQ and filtering from my DJ mixer, I'm not a dogmatic M01 user.

It's sort of a DJ tool track, very loopy and doesn't use most of Africa's melodies. I have a new and different version in my mind though, which won't be as loopy. Not an easy task to make Africa's chords and melodies work in a DS context, but I'll try!

Decktonic

Re: A slow, housey version of Toto's Africa

Post by Decktonic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:47 am

this is M01? it sounds really good.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Barfunkel

Re: A slow, housey version of Toto's Africa

Post by Barfunkel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am

All the sounds come from the M01 and my Allen&Heath DJ mixer helps with a bit of EQ and filtering, which the M01 obviously cannot do, since it doesn't have filters. Recorded in real time from the DS's noisy headphone output, with me playing the mutes and some FX controls. So no multitracking and lots of studio tricks were used.

While they rarely sound great on their own, the M01 can produce some decent snares and kicks with layering. In this case it's 2 kicks layered from one of the hip hop kits, while the snare is a snare and a clap layered, from the same hip hop kit.

A sound called Synthhorn does the main chord while a sound called FatBass does the bassline. Pretty simple stuff, the hardest part was figuring out the chords and making them work with the M01's sequencer.