Music Theory Lessons

Cfgk24

Music Theory Lessons

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 am

Hello Everyone!

It has come to my attention that a lot of people have never had sensible basic music training.
ALl through my Secondary school years - I had a music class but learned nothing due to the poor quality of teaching.
So I left School not even knowing what a Major scale was or how a chord was constructed.

Being a Folk musician, I just learned to play tunes from listening and copying or from a music notation system called Tab (Tablature) which is a system of lines and numbers representing strings and frets on a guitar or mandolin/banjo etc.

Once I got to University and did a music Module which efficiently taught me the basics( I wish I'd known them years ago), I really started to fly on composition and improvisation and harmonising.

It never ceases to surprise me when I start teaching music that so many people don't know enough to get started and that such a little extr knowledge can really take you so much further so quickly.
So I'm proposing a new thread to cover the basics of Music Theory that would be suitable and helpful for M01 and DS10...Any help form the Mods to set this up for me?

Acid

Re: Music Theory Lessons

Post by Acid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

I find the idea useful. I never got sos normal musical training at the high school. In college, I could not find anything in training. (chemistry course there is nothing like that :P )
smacking snares & smacking kiss :)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:Hello Everyone!

It has come to my attention that a lot of people have never had sensible basic music training.
ALl through my Secondary school years - I had a music class but learned nothing due to the poor quality of teaching.
So I left School not even knowing what a Major scale was or how a chord was constructed.

Being a Folk musician, I just learned to play tunes from listening and copying or from a music notation system called Tab (Tablature) which is a system of lines and numbers representing strings and frets on a guitar or mandolin/banjo etc.

Once I got to University and did a music Module which efficiently taught me the basics( I wish I'd known them years ago), I really started to fly on composition and improvisation and harmonising.

It never ceases to surprise me when I start teaching music that so many people don't know enough to get started and that such a little extr knowledge can really take you so much further so quickly.
So I'm proposing a new thread to cover the basics of Music Theory that would be suitable and helpful for M01 and DS10...Any help form the Mods to set this up for me?
Sounds great, what help do you need?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Can you open up a new Forum on the Board Index page?
Can you lock it for now (until I've got all the Teaching Material up and running) but give me access.
We can open it up to discussion later once I've completed the basics....

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:32 pm

I just finished "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" and it was a big help. I'm looking forward to your lessons :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Lol, I'm talking very simple here to start with....
Scales (especially Modes)
Chords
Intervals
time signatures
And maybe a bit on Timbre?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I'll gladly offer any help I can.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:41 am

I could help out with timbre, how it relates to accoustics and the frequency spectrum. Fundamentals, harmonics etc.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 am

Ok Cfgk24 you've been made 'full moderator' of Music Theory.
STANDARD MODERATOR
A Standard Moderator can approve or disapprove, edit and delete posts, delete or close reports, but not necessarily change the owner of a post. This kind of moderator can also issue warnings and view details of a post.

SIMPLE MODERATOR
A Simple Moderator can edit posts and close and delete reports and can also view post details.

QUEUE MODERATOR
As a Queue Moderator, you can only approve or disapprove posts that landed in the moderator queue and edit posts.

FULL MODERATOR
Full Moderators can do everything moderation-related; they can even ban users.

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 am

This is a great idea!
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:Lol, I'm talking very simple here to start with....
Scales (especially Modes)
Chords
Intervals
time signatures
And maybe a bit on Timbre?

cool, please split it into as many topics as possible

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Wow! Thankyou!
Feel the Power! lol

No seriously - I have just come in late from work and read Syscrushers rather FANTASTIC Breakdown of Modes.

If you jump in on these subjects and find yourself a little confused - take a step back and learn one item before moving onto the next.

I really want this Forum to be in 'Bytesized' chunks

So lots of small pieces of information that will help to provide a bigger picture.

please try to keep these subjects as uncluttered as possible to enable them to be of more practical use to us Permanent Students of Music - it never all really gets learned lol -

Enjoy!

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 am

I just wanted to express my appreciation of your work in this theory section.
You helped me SO much to free myself from doubts and misunderstanding, now I just have to sit down and try to use really consciously this knowledge you share.

Hope to find new topics in the music theory forum, it's incredible how your words are sounding so much more clearer than any teacher I've ever had.

Keep on' explaining :)
See you soon on the forum

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks Absintize,
I have been neglecting this thread since moving to Cambridge so will try to get back 'on it' . . . .
Please feel free to ask any questions you like. :)