Scales . 2. Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales

Cfgk24

Scales . 2. Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:50 am

There are many scale patterns that are not included in the 'Modes
Commonly used in Classical Western music are the Minor scales:

Let's use the Tonic or root note of A to demonstrate these.

1. Natural Minor scale - Also called the ' Aeolian Mode'

Play on the keyboard - A B C D E F G A

2. Harmonic Minor Scale - not one of the official modes - the 7th degree of the scale is raised one semitone and is called the leading note as it 'leads' the listener back to the tonic and resolves it beautifully.

Play on the Keyboard - A B C D E F G# A

3. Melodic Minor scale - again not an official mode - This is a marriage of the Natural minor and the Harmonic Minor - It changes depending on wether you are ascending or descending the Melody. Play the Harmonic when ascending (eg. the sharpened 7th) and the Natural (natural 7th on the way down.

Play on the Keyboard - A B C D E F# G# A A G F E D C B A

This gets really fun when you start to accompany with chords :)

The Melodic Minor always used to confuse me when I was , again, trying to ascertain which key the tune was in.
This explanation that you can have structured changes to the scale in Mid-tune ws a huge help to my understanding and made me focus more on the Root or Tonic of a tune.

Geolm

Re: Scales . 2. Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales

Post by Geolm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

I am afraid that there is a little mistake, the ascending melodic minor is A B C D E F# G#, it has a natural sixth. Notice that the difference between ascending and descending melodic minor exists only in classical music, in jazz the melodic minor is always T 2 b3 4 5 6 7.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Geolm wrote:I am afraid that there is a little mistake, the ascending melodic minor is A B C D E F# G#, it has a natural sixth. Notice that the difference between ascending and descending melodic minor exists only in classical music, in jazz the melodic minor is always T 2 b3 4 5 6 7.
Yes this is true. The Melodic minor can be seen as an alteration of the Natural Minor. The 6th and 7th are raised (#) ascending. On it descent it is identical to the Natural Minor. The raised 6th and 7th creates a push upward towards the tonic. On it's descent the push upward is no longer needed so it "falls" back into the Natural Minor. The ascending Melodic Minor Scale, as Geolm observes, is identical to a Major Scale with a b3. (Any scale or chord can be made minor by lowering the 3rd.)

As Geolm also points out the "Jazz Minor" retains the alterations of the Melodic Minor on it's descent.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:13 pm

oops! yes You are correct - I have Corrected the First Post - that'll teach me to write lessons wihtout a keyboard next to me :roll: