What sort of speaker systems do you play your DS-10 on?

PuglyWont

What sort of speaker systems do you play your DS-10 on?

Post by PuglyWont » Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm curious to what people use to play their music out loud, instead of just using headphones.

I picked up a used Roland Micro Cube, and pump the DS through that. It's pretty cool and the effects work nicely with the DS-10 effects. I use the aux input in the back to do a simple mixing. I take this thing on my bike into a park and just start jamming.

The only problem is the bass is limiting.

Today I took the stereo out and hooked up the DS-10 to two amps: the Micro Cube and my bass practice amp... it's a peavey I forget what model. The two in combo put out quite the good sound. It's pretty sweet. It could get ridiculously loud.
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: What sort of speaker systems do you play your DS-10 on?

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 am

Rokit RP8, totally an overkill, could have just bought the smaller RP5s, my housemates has them and they're still full of bass. These are some of the best speakers you can get for this price. RP5 = 150 euro/piece. But I guess you can produce on DS-10 with a lot cheaper speakers as well.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

PuglyWont

Post by PuglyWont » Mon May 09, 2011 1:40 am

Cool, I got a set of the RP5s hooked up to my MacBook for doing Logic stuff.

I haven't tried hooking up my DS to them yet. Somehow it seems more appropriate to run the DS-10 through a used amp...
Music is the pleasure the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. - Gottfried Leibniz

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 am

I personally use Mackie HR624's with the matching sub. Certainly not the end all, beat all of reference monitors, but they are THX certified and are within -2dBfs>2dBfs flat across the entire spectrum. They drop off at about 50Hz, that's why the sub is so important. (they run about $425>550 a speaker american $'s - $850>$1100 a pair+$250>$350 for the sub)
There are many other excellent reference monitors out there, it depends mostly on your budget and your needs and limitations.(room size is a big influence/consideration)
There are some ADAM, Yamaha, and Samson reference monitors that I've heard really good reviews of. The Samsons actually use ribbon elements for tweeters and they sound very crisp.
If you have those KRK's then you should definitely use them for your DS-10 stuff too.
In the end, the bottom line is having the most flat frequency monitor possible, then you need to address your listening environment. But that's a whole different can of worms. Flat frequency headphones are truly neccessary though.
No matter how much money you invest in acoustic treatments for a room the fact is that no "room" will ever be perfect.
Use the absolute best speakers/monitors that you have, start your mixing here. Then listen to your results through "less than ideal" systems and make small adjustments. Then use your "best" headphones, make adjustments. Then listen to your "best" speakers again, make further adjustments. Repeat this process many times.
I appologize for preaching, but always use the best tools available! You will thank yourself later.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 am

I have two Alesis M1Active 320usb attached to my iMac. They sound fine and also work as an audio usb interface what is handy.

I also got a second hand, barely used, set of Tascam monitors and sub. Not the best for monitors, I guess, but they were really cheap and fit in the mid-size room I wanted them for. The fact is I can't get used to how they sound (the placement is ok I think, and also have an edirol mixer that can automatically correct the mix to have an as much as possible flat sound)…I just do not enjoy the music through them…so I end connecting the DS10 to the hi-fi system and the (cheap but not really bad) big Vieta speakers. I know is not the best for music production, I hope I'll get used to that monitor-authentic-flat sound someday…

Never been lucky with headphones. Which ones would you recommend, AudioArtist? (and thanks for the advices)

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm

I've been using some AudioTechnica M40fs headphones for a long time now. I've only worn out two pair, and even then the drivers were still fine just the padding wore down. These heaphones can get LOUD without distortion. I use then when I'm playing drum tracks with real kit. You can crank them up so that you can hear the drum mics better than you can hear the kit around you.
Flat frequenxy response from 2hz(!)>22Khz. They've even gone down in price over the years, a friend I recomended them to got a pair for $60 american just recently. Many people like different stuff but I would recomend these headphones anyday.
Getting used to using flat frequency monitors is strange, and takes some time. It really forces alot of eq'ing bad habits out of you over time.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue May 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Wow, I didn`t expect the recommendation would be so unexpensive...I'll probably get one of those then. Thank you!.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue May 10, 2011 5:40 pm

You're welcome WMRhapsodies!! Everyone that I've recomended these headphones to have been satisfied. Especially considering the price. I've used some top of the line Sony's and Sennheiser headphones and I've been dissapointed. I always end up coming back to the AT-m40fs. I love bringing them by a skeptics home and just saying, "plug these in, listen to that." Always a classic look when they think, "that sounds better than the headphones I paid twice as much for!"
However, if you can locate someone who has a pair, I'll always suggest that you try them out. Everyone has their preferences and sometimes just the trial and error method will help you find what is most comfortable and pleasing for you.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I use the AT-M40fs phones as well. They're great.

For monitors I use two things. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-10ms that are classic studio monitors. They require "learning" but once you do you can get some pretty transparent mixes on them. They're harsh in the mids but because of that a good mix on them will sound good on practically anything. For reference I also use some Altec computer speakers with a sub as well as a beautiful pair of Advent speakers from the '70's. They are very warm (esp. with vinyl).

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 am

AudioArtist wrote: However, if you can locate someone who has a pair, I'll always suggest that you try them out.
That's a logical advice, but it's unlikely I could try them. The only thing that stopped me from getting this is I am thinking about getting some other more expensive gear. I'll see.

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 am

No joke i have a pair of these badboys
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOGITECH-2-1-S220 ... 1611wt_937
cost me £20 and i swear to god, the response is flat the the range is excellent.
Everything I have mixed on these speakers sounds great on any other system.
If i could afford them i would buy some krks but anyone who is on a budget i really recommend these.
they have a knob on the back of the sub but as long as you keep it on half way you'll be fine.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)