im a musician thinking of getting DS-10... a little help plz

blocks

im a musician thinking of getting DS-10... a little help plz

Post by blocks » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 am

Hi there,

I've written lots of boring background info while arranging my thoughts and its all quite unimportant so please jump straight to the questions at the bottom (i left it just in case though:) ) I should say that I don't yet own either a DS or the ds-10 software but i'm leaning towards getting the combination to use as a new instrument in its own right and could do with some opinions before i make my final decision.

EDIT... It really was too boring.

QUESTIONS:

1. I am hoping that a nintendo ds with ds-10 would be be great for;

A - Working out and rcording simple musical ideas late at night when i come home from gigs and I can't play guitar cuz i'll wake up my g/f and the neighbours
B - Learning all about (korg) synths, the sounds you can make and how they can be distorted
C - Learning what you can do with a kaoss pad
D - Learning about drum patterns and sounds
E - Learning how to construct and arrange an elctro song
F - Exploring some ways to improvise and create live electronic music

Do you think that sound's about right or am i dreaming?

2. I live in Europe and i've been reading the pita suff about the plus version and the region aware Dsi's. As such i currently believe that my best option (bearing in mind my very limited budget) would be to import the ds-10+ cart from the US for ~€30 on ebay and get a local DS lite for €120. The alternative would be buying a local DS-10 for around €30-40 and a DSi for €150 (over budget really).

does this sound like a plan? The main point of getting the ds would be for the ds-10 software so i figure that i might as well get the plus version rather than the better DS. If i turn into a ds-10 freak then i can always import a us dsi for the extra synth channels later on :)

3. The Dsi has an sd card slot, the lite has none. What are the ramifications of this difference with both the ds-10 and ds-10+ software?

4. What kind of limits are there regarding the number of songs you can save on the cart/ds and what, if any, are the differences between the ds lite and the dsi on this subject?

5. can you import/export drum settings? (or are they saved to a song perhaps? - sorry not sure if that's the right question to ask).

6. can you back up or export your songs or settings? If not, how about with a hacked DS?

7. would you prefer a [ds-10+ and a ds lite] or [ds-10 and a dsi] ? why (please only consider music related uses rather than other functionality like wpa wifi encryption on the dsi instead of wep on the lite).

Finally a DS only question

8. Is homebrew available through carts on the latest ds lite firmware?

thanks for any advice,

great site, great community and great musics!
Last edited by blocks on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geolm

Re: im a musician thinking of getting DS-10... a little help plz

Post by Geolm » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forums, what a long post ;) I'll try to answer few questions :

A. In my case, no, because I can't grab my DS 10 and find a melody or a chord progression because this is by far easier on a piano or a guitar. May be it's due to the fact that I learned to play the guitar/piano before using the korg ds10... anyway, it's always a pleasure to write ds10 music in bed.
B. yes
C. yes but not completely
D. yes
E. yes but the korg ds10 lacks some mixing tools, it's a start
F. yes some people does but I don't, not my cup of tea

2. Yes may be it's a good plan, and the korg ds10 plus has nice feature even on a European ds.

4. I think you have 3x5=15 slots for your songs, but dual mode songs take 2 slots. No difference between ds/dsi because saves are on the cart

5. You drums pattern and settings are saved with the song, drums are sampled but only the setting are saved, when you reload a song the drums are sampled again from your (synth) settings. I don't know if I explained this very well...

6. there are some tools to back up saves from the cart

7. DS10+ and ds lite, definitely, because you get some of the features of the "plus" version. On the other hand, with a ds-10 and dsi, you get nothing more than a korg ds-10.

blocks

Post by blocks » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:39 am

thanks for your reply, it was really helpful

Sorry for the long posts but this represents a sizeable investment for me so i want to be clear and sure that i'm making the right decision.

I checked out some US imports of the DSi but with customs taxes (putain de douanes) it's really not worth it for me. So in the end I've decided that i'm gonna go with a DS lite(possibly second hand) and a US ds-10+ cart. Eventually, i could always get an american friend to bring me a US DSi over if i really get into the ds-10+ and want the extra functionality. The DS lite and ds10+ should set me back less than 100€ if i go second hand and about €150 if i buy it brand new.

Unfortunately i have Just a few more questions (if anyone is willing):

I. On most of the youtube vids where i've seen people mixing live on the ds-10 they're attached via a 3.5mm-to-rca cable (or similar), but in some cases it looks like they're working completely wirelessly. Is this possible with two DS's(with one still physically attached to a mixer) via the multiplayer mode or was i just hallucinating and a cable is always necessary?

II. Could someone please elaborate on the process of backing up songs and settings from the cart or point me in the direction of a relevant link - I'am a little confused on how it could be achieved and what hardware might be needed.

III. How much scope is there for complex time signatures? I understand that you can drop some beats in the patterns to get 3/4 (by dropping down to 12 beats instead of 16 from what i've read), But what about dropping down to 15 or 14 to get multiples of 5 and 7? I don't mind if its complicated i'm just curious as to whether its possible at all.

I've been watching loads of videos on how to arrange and mix songs as well as demonstrations of all the effects and i already have some great ideas i want to put through the ds-10. I'm really excited because i think that the ds-10 software will give me a great way to plot out musical ideas visually - I'm not hot on solfege at all but i love musical theory so i can't wait to try it out.

I do however think there will be lots to learn with regard to making a palette of interesting and useful (not to mention musical) sounds to pick from so I'm not expecting any early miracles though!

If anyone has anything else to chime in i'm all ears

Thanks again Geolm

:)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 am

I checked out some US imports of the DSi but with customs taxes (putain de douanes)
I know, I did it and it's over expensive, over 90€ of taxes for ds-usa from hong kong via play-asia... Now back to the answers ;)

I. You have to plug a cable in the ds sound output, if you want to mix multiple ds you have to get a mixer. But you can synchronize up to four ds-10 using wifi connection. I did a mix with a friend with this technique but you can also synchronize manually like anthony does on this video:

II. Sorry I can't help, I never did this, but I think there is a lot of posts on this subject.

III. You can write music in n/16 time, n is in the range [1;16]. But you can't change time signature for a specific bar, it is set for the whole song like the tempo and the swing feeling.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Actually, I believe you can set individual patterns within songs to different time signatures.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Actually, I believe you can set individual patterns within songs to different time signatures.
That's true, I've been experimenting with that with great and odd results, especially in combination with varied MG frequencies: http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1090
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

blocks

Post by blocks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 am

thanks for all your posts. i ordered a ds-10+ cart from a us-based ebay seller today but I'll probably wait a bit before getting an actual ds though.

great news for the ability to play with the time signatures then, thanks for the link too.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Generally, Tax is avoided if you order a DSi from a private US seller on Ebay, :)

Please Consider Korg M01 as a very powerful composition tool.
:)

SarahConner

Post by SarahConner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 am

Hey all, I have a few easy questions:

Does the DS-10+ interact with the DS-10? Multi-player and track transfer?
Is the DS-10+ limited by the the DSLite?

Cheers

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 am

SarahConner wrote:Hey all, I have a few easy questions:

Does the DS-10+ interact with the DS-10? Multi-player and track transfer?
Is the DS-10+ limited by the the DSLite?

Cheers
As far as my understanding goes:

The DS-10+ behaves like a DS-10 as soon as it goes into multi-player mode.

The DS-10+ is not optimal on a DSLite; I'm not familiar with the specifics of it's limitation.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:55 pm

about the limitations, see bottom right:

soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator