Kaoss Pad scales (Very noobish question..but important!)

Absintize

Kaoss Pad scales (Very noobish question..but important!)

Post by Absintize » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 am

I don't really understand one thing on setting the kaoss pad:
I'm working on a piece in E minor, and I want to set the kaoss pad to work on E minor too.
I choose the key of E, obviously, and then...I don't know what I have to choose to be in the Natural Minor Scale.
Can you help me please?
Thanks!!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Very noobish question..but important!

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_mode is the Natural Minor Scale, in the case of E meaning:

Root: E
+Tone: F#
+Semi-Tone: G
+Tone: A
+Tone: B
+Tone: C#
+Tone: D#
+Semitone: E (octave higher)
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:17 am

So...what key I have to choose? I mean...not E?

This is covering an awful doubt I tend to have in music theory: If I choose the key of E and than the Aeolian mode, I think it's wrong because than the scale would be the one starting on the sixth degree of the E major scale ( C# )...right?

Absintize

Post by Absintize » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 am

Ok I'm studying this thing...I didn't know I could name "E Aeolian" the Natural Minor of E.
I thought that when I say "the Aeolian of key", whatever it is, I'll be pointing at the sixth degree of the major scale of that key.
This is a bit confusing to me, but now I understand that "Aeolian" means just a sequence of "distances" of tones and semitones, and that sequence is the one of the natural minor scale.

So in Korg DS-10 I must choose E for the key, than Aeolian, and the kaoss pad will be playing, starting from the root E, that sequence of distances between degrees in the scale.

I'm saying it all right?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Yes you are correct. Check the "Music Theory" section for a discussion about modes.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Yes you are correct. Check the "Music Theory" section for a discussion about modes.
Does the Kaoss Pad always start at the root note wherever you put your stylus or not? I never actually payed attention to this.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Does the Kaoss Pad always start at the root note wherever you put your stylus or not? I never actually payed attention to this.
I discuss this here (I think this is what you mean anyway):http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=975

Edit: It's near the bottom.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:09 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
Syscrusher wrote:Yes you are correct. Check the "Music Theory" section for a discussion about modes.
Does the Kaoss Pad always start at the root note wherever you put your stylus or not? I never actually payed attention to this.
No, the Kaoss pad does not start on the root note of the selected key/mode - The root note lies exactly below the letter 'M'' of the SMT button on the Kaoss pad. in Ionian mode - the next octave up lies directly beneath the 'S' solo button to the right of the SMT - you have to be accurate lol! just try playing a doh ray me fah so la te doh scale in ionian mode and you'll find the accurate spots. . .:)

Decktonic

Re: Kaoss Pad scales (Very noobish question..but important!)

Post by Decktonic » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

You can always record from the Kaoss Pad and then check the piano roll to see what came out.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases