DS10+ Vinyl Project

Cfgk24

DS10+ Vinyl Project

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi guys!
Sorry - I've been away (working and Sailing and moving home)
But - I've seen the Record Label Thread - It kinda clicked in with a thought in my head late last year about producing a Vinyl DS10 LP -

Now - I could fund this and was thinking of approaching you guys ( administrators) about getting 'A Journey Through Space' onto Vinyl but thinking about it - maybe a new project would be fresher?
I know we haven't got the Ambient Comp off the ground really but ended up with a fulltime plus full time job and really had no time to work on it.

Guys - let me know what you think . . . .

Cfgk24

Sinqlogue

Re: DS10+ Vinyl Project

Post by Sinqlogue » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Give me an account number and a deadline and I'm in!

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:54 pm

For something like this, with all the cost involved, I'd prefer for the theme not to be too limiting. Just a collection of the best possible songs I guess. But actually distributing this thing would be tough. I don't know how feasible it really is.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 pm

This sounds great!
I definitely think new tracks should be made for something like this, a lot of people will have progressed with making music on ds-10 since that release.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm

I guess Distribution would be small scale Mail order ( Virgin started like this lol)

Only a small production run and not expecting to make a profit.

What do you think in term of production numbers? 100, 500 1000 2000 copies?

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Decktonic wrote:For something like this, with all the cost involved, I'd prefer for the theme not to be too limiting. Just a collection of the best possible songs I guess. But actually distributing this thing would be tough. I don't know how feasible it really is.
It's very feasible if I Finance it :)

SS7117

Post by SS7117 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:04 pm

I agree with the idea of not making it themed, just a collection of some rad tunes. I'm so down for this.
"hey this is my signature, it's not part of every post I make." lol
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/siteb-1/thingstoc ... ing-tracks[/soundcloud]

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:10 pm

I think a Vague theme might be cohesive - otherwise it might end up sounding like a 'Now that's what I call music album'
A perfect Example is 'Cream - Future Trance' 30 Tracks by Artists. and the download album has 3 DJ mixes of 10 of each of the tracks ( these 3 DJ mixes make up the CD pack) There is a definite flavour to the whole works and I think it's down to some of the patches that I can hear recurring throughout the whole album.

So the 'Theme' might just be a patch or sound that can be varied by the individual DS10 artist. . . as long as it occurs somewhere in the track - it would bring it all together. . .

Bear in mind this has to be a work of seriously high quality and essentially has to be timeless.. . . .

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 am

I, of course, would be excited and motivated to be a part of a project like this. I've always wanted to hear my own music on vinyl.

Give me a theme, patch, whatever. I'm in!

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 am

I'm thinking theme will be Modal, archaic, drawing inspiration from ancient tunes. So, staying away form Major scales and -Gabe, you have some great old tunes in NC from the Appalachian repertoire and the old ballads with weird cross rhythms and crooked tunes. . .

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:01 pm

I like your concept, and you're so correct! There are tons of interesting old themes in the classic appalachian mountain music. All in all, a very unique style born from the blending of so many early american imigrants folk music from around the world.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Try and create an authentic old time fiddle sound on your DS! :)

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm

You're gonna finance this. Really?

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Yes. :)

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:24 pm

kudos for going old skool and not doing a kickstarter :)

well, count me in whatever theme you wanna do.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Lol, kickstarter was crossing my mind but I haven't even looked at the website ever yet :) - I'd rather be without commitments to investors.
Don't expect this to be quick - I am away form home for the summer and unlikely I'll be able to produce the tracks until autumn. . . .

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

It may sound terrible, but I wouldn't mind throwing a bit of cash down to make this happen. Perhaps we could ask the participants to all throw in a little and cumulatively have enough to fund the vinyl pressing? (as opposed to kickstarter)
That way, no one person would have to bear the brunt of an epic flop, which won't happen :)
Also, as always, I can compile and master any tracks free! (- as long as I get my copy of the finished album free). I Do Not claim to have any knowledge of mastering for vinyl, that seems to be either a closely guarded secret or just plain BS, I don't know. I've always worked in the old school tape realm or the new school digital world, I've never mastered anything that was pressed to vinyl. (it could still "maybe" be released in a digital format through bandcamp, iTunes, whatever as a means to make up any lost funds)
Nevertheless, it will probably end up being a double or triple vinyl press (maybe a 4 disc?) depending on how many submissions there are, certainly something to keep in mind.

Keep the brainstorming going friends. I'll be thinking about it and working on some tunes!
Let's really make this one happen!

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:08 am

Hey! Lol - That doesn't sound terrible! :) But as money is involved, I would like to avoid a 'committee' situation
Lets's cross that bridge nearer the time.
Most importantly, with VInyl - we can have DYNAMICS!!!!! OOOH YEAH!! so we need to think about incorporating highs, lows, dramatic swells, subtle nuance changes!. I will have to do some more research on compression on Vinyl. . . .

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:47 pm

^Cfgk24 - I just started searching around and I came across this article that seems to fall in line with all my suspicions that the "master for vinyl" is a myth or perhaps just a devious way of making more money. I know you can't believe everything online but, the author makes several points specifically in reference to a good RMS level that jibes with what I have been taught. My masters normally average from 10-6 dBfs of dynamic range as metered using a true VU meter (true VU meters register RMS Not Peak) so this article seems legit to me. His basic point is that a properly mastered cd files are just as suitable for vinyl. Here's the link:
http://productionadvice.co.uk/vinyl-mastering/

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:02 pm

This is also a good thread with lots insight but overall basically says everything that any mastering engineer worth their salt already knows.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... lines.html