Very lost in writing the music

DogTag

Very lost in writing the music

Post by DogTag » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Hello everyone.

I've finally gotten a copy of DS-10 in a local shop (can't believe it) and now I'm in the process of learning. While I think I more or less understand the way the sounds are edited and added, I can't figure out how to make up a real song. I've read the manual already, but it was (at least my Spanish edition) quite superficial.

I think my problem is ilustrated with this example: When I load the Demo01 song and play it, looking at the song screen, the beginning pattern is always the same, however the sound of the first synthesizer is constantly changing. How is this possible? Is there any button somewhere that I'm missing?

If there are any good tutorials covering song creation rather than just sound edition, please do link them. Surfing the web, I haven't found anything interesting.

Thanks in advance :D

drexegar

Re: Very lost in writing the music

Post by drexegar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:02 pm

"PATTERN MODE"

Ok well there are 16 patterns if you hit the top left button that says "PATTERN" you will see 16 boxes, here is where you write your music. You can change the 2 OSC at any time, but the drums always stay the same through out each pattern.

"SONG MODE"
In the bottom right corner there are 3 buttons (MENU, SONG, DRUMS) You hit the SONG button and you be put into SONG MODE where the 16 patterns are layout in a straight line going down and you highlight the boxes of patterns you want to play in what order.

The PATTERN button also changes into the SONG button. And the SONG button also changes into PATTERN button. Hit the PATTERN button to get back to patterns.

If you have Korg DS-10 PLUS, you can control the mutes of every channel on song playback for more complex music, if you don't have plus, then you can only have full control of channel doing it live through the patterns.

I HOPE THIS HELP! If you have any questions feel free to ask, Sooner or later ill make a video on you tube to help! We need more people to use the KORG ds-10

DogTag

Post by DogTag » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi drexegar!

Thank you for your answer. What I meant was, for example, in this same demo session, if I look at one of the synth pages while the song is playing, I can see the knobs moving by themselves and, of course, modifying the sound. This is what I have no idea of how to do.

drexegar

Post by drexegar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 am

There are seven lessons, read carefully and pay attention to the little shapes on how they match the flow of the sound.

DogTag

Post by DogTag » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I know how synthesizers work. What I don't know is how to automate changes in a pattern, so that the sound changes without me having to do it manually...

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi - there are a cople of ways you can 'automate' the changing knobs:

1. go to the Synth 1 patch screen - here you can see the frequency knob - turn this clockwise to speed up the frequency at which various changes are made - then connect the cables to affect the parameter you wish to automate - eg. cutoff, VCO2, VCO1, pitch etc.

2. in the sequencer - scroll through to the Kaoss X and Y screens - these values will also automate changes.
on the Kaoss pad, you can select which parameter is represented by X and Y

3. You can also 'record' these parameter changes using the Kaoss pad

Once you've made your changes - you cna return to the synth1 screen and see the knobs automated:

Basially, the answer to your query is 'Use the kaoss pad, X and Y sequencer values and 'Patch' to automate.
I hope this helps

p.s. it's quite nice to record a pattern of notes, select kaoss Y to 'portamento' and just give one or 2 of the notes a medium value of Y and all the others minimu, value - it gives you a nice bit of nuance to replicate a musician playing an instrument. :)

DogTag

Post by DogTag » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:41 pm

THAT was exactly what I was meaning. Thank you very much!

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Cool! Did the 7 lessons not help? :)

drexegar

Post by drexegar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:14 pm

DogTag wrote:THAT was exactly what I was meaning. Thank you very much!
Yeah I only posted 1 video, there are 7 videos, if you look to around the channel on the side they covered the parts you want to learn in detail.