Basic Question: Multiple DSs into one set of speakers

junison

Basic Question: Multiple DSs into one set of speakers

Post by junison » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:35 am

Hello,

I'm not a musician but I love messing around with DS-10, and I have a couple of copies now (with a + version on its way in the mail). I also have some other vaguely similar cartridges for DS (like Elektroplankton and some guitar simulator) and I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap/easy way to run three (or more) DS consoles into one set of speakers. This is mainly just for some friends and I to mess around together with the kaos pad and stuff.

I figured I could just get the reverse of the cable splitters you get for multiple headphones into one ipod or whatever, but I guess that was naive of me because the dude at Radioshack was like, "What? Why would you want that? No one makes it."

Is there a way to do this without DJ equipment I have no idea how to use and no money to purchase?

Any help is appreciated. I just found this forum and have been very impressed by the discussions.

Cfgk24

Re: Basic Question: Multiple DSs into one set of speakers

Post by Cfgk24 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 am

Hi! A common problem for us all. !
Best bet is to get:
1. 4x ds consoles - 8 input mixer
2. 4x ds consoles - 8 input usb Audio interface such as focusrite 18 etc.
3. 2xds consoles- 1 pair of roland/edirol Ma15d monitors.

There is no perfect solution. . . :(
See the recording to computer section on this forum.
The Artpro splitmix4 should have been the perfect solution but it's passive and not active and therefore doesn't kick out enough signal.

junison

Post by junison » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:23 am

Thanks so much for the reply, I will definitely look into the stuff you mentioned.

A couple of further questions if you happen to look at this thread again and don't mind:

1) I had started looking at some cheap passive 4-input mixers. If I don;t need this to be super loud, will that possibly do the trick?

2) With the 8-input mixer you mentioned, I assume that has a miniplug to rc plug converter coming from the consoles to preserve the stereo sound? If I just got a 4 input mixer and ran 4 consoles through it with a mono to stereo converter on the output from the mixer, it would just be playing the same sounds into the left and right channel, right? I wouldn't be losing any sounds, I would just be losing the subtleties of the stereo sound, right?

Sorry, working with a limited budget and have a very basic understanding of how this stuff works.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Lol. In reply:

1. Passive mixers don't work . Don't waste your time and money. The Ds output is low.
2. 8 input mixer. You need the correct cable to connect your console 3.5mm stereo Jack to go in the console at one end and split phono (2 plugs) at the other.
3. To keep the stereo mix you need Balance control and to sweep each connector fully left or fully rightusing the balance knob
No balance controls means no stereo.

junison

Post by junison » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Ah, ok. This shows how little I know.

I have a few sets of these Cambridge Soundworks speakers:
http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/info/PCWorks
("PCWorks, designed by Cambridge SoundWorks, is a three‐piece amplified speaker system which comes with two satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer.")

In the past, I have plugged these into a DS and gotten the volume I need for just messing around.

Would running the consoles into something like this work since I am using powered speakers?
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX42

This is basically just something to mess around with while drinking beers in the living room so the sound quality does not need to be pristine. I basically just need all the consoles to output into one speaker system at like boombox volume.

Thanks again for your responses.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi the rolls seems identical to the splitmix4. As it is passive. I doubt it would be suitable. The signal I got from splitmix4 into my jbl creature 3 speakers was literally barely audible. Let me know how you get on

junison

Post by junison » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Hmm. That doesn't bode well.

I read some reviews where people seemed to do alright with that for similar applications and I found one cheap enough that I think I might give it a go and then return it if it turns out that quiet. For the time being I really can't spend a lot on this, so if I run into the same problem you had, this may have to go on the backburner for a while.

Anyway, thanks again for your answers. I'll report back once I have a chance to give it a shot.

junison

Post by junison » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm

So, I picked up one of these:
http://www.nady.com/mm242.html
(passive 4 channel stereo mini mixer)

and so far, running three DSs through that into the Cambridge Soundworks speakers mentioned above, I am definitely getting enough volume. As I mentioned, this isn't for performances or anything, but I've been able to have three people playing at once into those speakers and it's been pretty loud without testing the limits of the setup by a longshot.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Wow! That Nady looks Perfect for the job!

I've just got my Belkin Rockstar adapter and it's perfect for composing with 2 or more DS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-BKF8Z274 ... +rock+star