Hey, I am new and have a question.

SMD85

Hey, I am new and have a question.

Post by SMD85 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:53 pm

I have had the Ds-10 plus software for awhile now, and am having trouble with making tracks. Its kinda something like writers block. I just can't seem to produce anything good. But what I am interested in doing is something along dubstep style of music. I am in bassnectar a lot and pretty lights and groups like that. I have a Korg Kaossilator also and hope to soon have the pro version of that by the end of summer. What I was wondering is, what can I do to help me make dubstep style tracks? If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

lefthandofdirkness

Re: Hey, I am new and have a question.

Post by lefthandofdirkness » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:44 pm

the DS-10 isn't really equiped to handle dub-step because it emulates a 16-step sequencer. Since dub-step makes heavy use of triplets and a 16-step sequencer can't handle irregular rhytm patterns like triplets, it's going to be pretty tough to create anything in that genre with the DS-10. I would go back to the electronic music that was being made at the time the MS-10 was released and the years following and work from there. If you're serious about making dub-step tracks a DS-10 and a Kaoss pad aren't going to cut it. I'd suggest investing in a copy of Reason 4.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Yep, DS10 is really more suited for electropop, idm, techno or house... most everything is going to fit the standard 4/4 club sound. That's not to say it's not possible... if you scroll to the bottom of the board index, you can download the "It's not about how big it is, it's about how loud you make it" EP by HarleyLikesMusic and hear some good examples of what can be done.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 am

Try using different pattern lengths like 12 instead of 16. 12 steps will give you 4 groups of three notes which = eighth note triplets. Also to get a triplet feel you can use the "swing" function. Timing delays to triplets is also possible but requires some trail and error. Dubstep also uses a lot of timed LFO; this isn't readily available but can be cheated a bit. Check the forum for tips. Here is a tune by oe of the moderators DS-10 Dominator - "Dubstep Gives Me Food":

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/ds10dominator/ds- ... es-me-food[/soundcloud]