Audacity Recording Questions

NeoS

Audacity Recording Questions

Post by NeoS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:59 am

I'm having a couple issues when recording in Audacity. I'm using a male-to-male jack to receive input from the DS, my OS is Vista, and the Audio I/O settings in Audacity are "Recording Device: Microphone (Sigma Tel C-Major Audio), Channels: 2 (Stereo)." The problems are:

1 - Panning is lost in the recording, so that the spacial locations of the sounds are all centered instead of spread out as originally designed.

2 - One of the instruments is lost (a drum sound converted into a melodic synth line.)

Anyone know a solution?
genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration (thomas edison)

Syscrusher

Re: Audacity Recording Questions

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 am

I hope this isn't too obvious, but are you sure you are using a stereo cable? That would explain the loss of stereo and perhaps the loss of an instrument if it was hard panned (or even dead center due to phase cancellation).

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:44 am

What Syscrusher said. Also you will probably get better results with "line in" rather than "microphone," if your sound card allows it.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:45 am

Syscrusher wrote:I hope this isn't too obvious, but are you sure you are using a stereo cable? That would explain the loss of stereo and perhaps the loss of an instrument if it was hard panned (or even dead center due to phase cancellation).
Well I'm not sure if it is a stereo cable, but the instrument still disappears when I switch to 1(Mono) under channels. By hard panned do you mean the panning was entered in the step sequencer rather than the mixer? That is how I did it, although now I'll try doing it in the mixer alternatively.
Decktonic wrote:What Syscrusher said. Also you will probably get better results with "line in" rather than "microphone," if your sound card allows it.
There isn't such an option under the recording device preferences in Audacity; is there another way to change it?

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Seems your input is mono?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Btw much of this has been covered in the sticky recording topic (see top)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Does your cable have two little stripes on it like this?

Or just one like this?

It's also possible that the plug you are using is mono... especially if it's only intended for microphones. Do you have any other input plugs on your computer?

If you can't resolve this problem you maybe have to get an external recorder that connects via USB.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 pm

My guess is that Audacity is detecting only a microphone input from the computers sound card and no line input exists. That is a problem. Check Decktonic's cable diagrams and get yourself a proper I/O. Many suggestions in the thread that Dominator mentioned.

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Decktonic wrote: Does your cable have two little stripes on it like this?
Yes, it has two stripes on either end. I assume that means the jack itself is stereo.
Syscrusher wrote: My guess is that Audacity is detecting only a microphone input from the computers sound card and no line input exists. That is a problem. Check Decktonic's cable diagrams and get yourself a proper I/O. Many suggestions in the thread that Dominator mentioned.
Ok, I'll peruse that thread now. Also, would changing sound cards be an alternative solution?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

NeoS wrote:Also, would changing sound cards be an alternative solution?
Yeah if your current sound card can't do proper line-in stereo, getting one that can would solve the problem.

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Alright, thanks a lot for the input both of you.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:10 am

what computer/sound card do you use?

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:48 am

Dell Latitude D610 / SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:34 pm

I am a bit perplexed by problem 2 ... You've lost an instrument in the process? is it 100% left or right or something?

I assume you have a single input jack on your card that handles both mike and line-in ... I don't know if that's gonna make any diff but you may want to go into 'recording controls' in windows and switch from mike input to line-in input. i don't remember whether you can control the L/R channels in windows but it's worth making sure the balance slider for the recording is in the middle.

it's not impossible you have a bad cable/bad plug. it's rare though so i would really check the 'recording controls' in windows vista (probably double-click on the 'speaker' icon and click-click your way to 'recording controls' or go through control panel).

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 am

ugocapeto wrote:I am a bit perplexed by problem 2 ... You've lost an instrument in the process? is it 100% left or right or something?
...check the 'recording controls' in windows vista (probably double-click on the 'speaker' icon and click-click your way to 'recording controls' or go through control panel).
Yeah it is 100% right.
There isn't any line-in option to select in the recording controls so what Syscrusher said about my soundcard not having line-in capability is probably true.

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 am

ok, i see. it's most likely coming from the driver. If the sound card has just 1 input jack, the comp should really ask you whether the jack is for a mic or a line-in whenever you plug something in.

Maybe get the latest sigmatel audio driver from Dell website.

Now, i am not too familiar with vista but in windows 7, you can right click in the area where the 'mic' and 'cd audio' check boxes are in the recording control window [maybe it's called volume control->recording in vista] and see if there are disabled things like possibly 'line-in' and enable the thing. I know that in xp you can't do that but don't know about vista (maybe you can like in windows 7).

Something doesn't seem right though regardless. Even if the input is not seen as line-in, you should be able to record both channels. So, either the balance slider is not centered in the recording control or the cable is not right.

What happens when you just listen to the ds-10 as it is playing and connected to the card mic/line-in jack? Can you hear both channels? Note that you may have to turn on 'input monitor' in the playback controls, otherwise you won't hear a thing. If you hear both channels playing, then the cable is good and i would really double check the recording control balance slider in vista.

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:18 pm

ugocapeta wrote: Now, i am not too familiar with vista but in windows 7, you can right click in the area where the 'mic' and 'cd audio' check boxes are in the recording control window [maybe it's called volume control->recording in vista] and see if there are disabled things like possibly 'line-in' and enable the thing. I know that in xp you can't do that but don't know about vista (maybe you can like in windows 7).
Tried this, and it already has *show disabled* marked, so there still isn't any line-in option.
ugocapeta wrote: What happens when you just listen to the ds-10 as it is playing and connected to the card mic/line-in jack? Can you hear both channels? Note that you may have to turn on 'input monitor' in the playback controls, otherwise you won't hear a thing. If you hear both channels playing, then the cable is good and i would really double check the recording control balance slider in vista.
Where are the playback controls and balance slider? I haven't seen either in the sound options.

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 pm

ok, let's focus on playback.

I am talking windows7 but it should be close to vista.

When you double click on the icon speaker, you should be able to go into 'speakers' (or maybe playback) and then levels ... you need to enable the mike input in order to hear whatever is playing when plugged in the microphone jack of the card .. it's called 'input monitor'. There should be a balance button or slider there as well. This is the same thing as enabling an ipod to play through your sound card and hear it on the laptop speakers. I think that by default on windows7, it's not enabled and is set to mute. This will tell you if the cable is good and/or properly connected to the DS-10.

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

ugocapeto wrote:ok, let's focus on playback.

I am talking windows7 but it should be close to vista.

When you double click on the icon speaker, you should be able to go into 'speakers' (or maybe playback) and then levels ... you need to enable the mike input in order to hear whatever is playing when plugged in the microphone jack of the card .. it's called 'input monitor'. There should be a balance button or slider there as well. This is the same thing as enabling an ipod to play through your sound card and hear it on the laptop speakers. I think that by default on windows7, it's not enabled and is set to mute. This will tell you if the cable is good and/or properly connected to the DS-10.
I can right click on the speaker icon and choose playback, however the only listed device is speakers; if I right click on that and go to properties and then levels, I can adjust only "Volume Control" and "PC Speaker." The microphone is currently only listed under the recording devices tab.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:12 pm

NeoS wrote:Dell Latitude D610 / SigmaTel C-Major Audio.
I can't find any info on the sound interface.
If i were you i would call Dell first and ask if your line-input is stereo, to get that question of out the way.