Ideas for DS-10 / DS-20 / New KORG DS Products

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Ideas for DS-10 / DS-20 / New KORG DS Products

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 am

Don't get me wrong. DS-10 and DS-10 plus are already stuffed with features, but it's always ok to think ahead:

- Grid on the Kaoss Pad for more accuracy

- Chaining patterns by switching to pattern mode - holding for example the A button - and then selecting a sequence of patterns. So that you can create longer loops on the fly.

- Mute ALL button.... it used to be easy on DS to make short silences live by sliding the volume off, but with DSi they decided to remove the volume slider and make it up and down buttons :(.

- Polyphony! Admit it, it would rock.

- 32 step patterns by adding a little scroll bar to the right. I think 32 is often the ideal loop length for melodies and basslines.

- Arpeggiator and/or Wave Sequencer. Preferably running at speeds faster than 1 step, same technique used for make traditional chiptune sounds.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

ChrisLody

Re: Ideas for KORG DS-20

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:- Polyphony! Admit it, it would rock.
It would. Especially if that poly can be carved up any way you want, right from each channels being used as a separate monosynth through to all channels being one big poly instrument. Preferably adjustable dynamically through a track. :D

-More patterns for sequencer would be nice. Not sure if I'd want just more step sequencer patterns or a pattern based piano roll sort of thing like FL studio

-An undo button would help tons.

-More copy and paste functions, like copying a sequence from syn1 to syn2

-Automation for the fx and mixer

Let face it though, if Korg do as good a job as they did on ds-10 on any future hardware,its going to be good! :lol:

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm

ChrisLody wrote:an undo button
For some reason I accepted this pretty soon. It's kind of funny to be forced to do something again, often resulting in a new surprise. If Ableton Live would have missed an undo feature I would have surely thrashed my computer, so I guess both of my favorite programs have a different workflow philosophy.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm

- There really needs to be function to backup songs/patches to a computer and/or share it with the world....

mchl nrvs

Post by mchl nrvs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 pm

i jammed last night with an old friend using only the ds 10. he ran ds 10 on ds lite and i ran plus on dsi. he was the host. when i downloaded the file my plus looked just like the ds 10 (stripped of all the new features except the word plus in the corner). anyway, if they keep making new features and new versions that are backwards compatible, along with nintendo improving the hardware...are lists could easily come true.

- more save slots for everything (plus has two decks, that's only 10.5 songs)
- loop function in song mode
- copy only what is soloed. ability to copy only part of a pattern onto an existing pattern
- song mode access while synced thru wifi
- edit drums while wifi synced

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Id like the effects sends instead of how they are now, and possibly a reverb too
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

bryface

Post by bryface » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 am

off the top of my head:

- wireless MIDI in/out/sync is an obvious one (apparently it's hard to implement, but why not just wirelessly output the note data in whatever form is easiest and leave the midi communication to hackers).
- more patterns. i'm tired of having to cut melodies short because phrases would gobble up too many patterns. i'm aware that 16 patterns makes for big pattern buttons for live play, but why not just have a toggle that shows either 16 or 32 patterns?
- more note data per pattern as well.
- agree with harleylikesmusic's comment about sends. sounds like something that would be easy to do.
- something like LSDJ's ability to use custom waveforms instead of the default 4.
- assign a vibrato button (R perhaps) to the KBD. so many buttons available! might as well put them to good use.
- use the microphone input as a vocoder, or for sampling, or as some other kind of control.
- to increase randomization/humanization of a pattern, allow probability-based triggering. (a value of 0.5 would cause a note to trigger half the time)

as a side note, i'd love to see a program that simulates a DS's wifi signal so that it can receive and store songs sent by the DS-10 for archival.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 am

Great ideas.

Should be very cool if they start using the microphone. Microkorgs have a vocoder :). The only problem is that if you'd use the internal speakers with the internal microphone you might get feedback problems. But it would of course still be very usefull when used on external speakers or headphone.

And I liked your suggestion about the live button control for modulation. So obvious and intuitive indeed. Which also reminds me of another idea I had: In the piano mode, the higher or lower you press your stylus against a piano key could control the velocity.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

Using the camera for motion tracking. It even seems to work in dark enviroments. Maybe it's able to pick up infra read from body heat and so determine the position of your head.

Pretty sick

motone

Post by motone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

An "Electribe DSX" would be awesome. :mrgreen:

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 pm

motone wrote:An "Electribe DSX" would be awesome. :mrgreen:
haha i like this :P

and WOW at the motion tracking thing ! ! looks amazing

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Korg DS Sampler...

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 am

...would be a great invention
use the dsi's sd card slot to store samples and what not, and abviously make it syncable with ds-10.
a whole korg ds range would be nice :P
OOO maybe an effects processor ? like a kaoss pad.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:14 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Using the camera for motion tracking. It even seems to work in dark enviroments. Maybe it's able to pick up infra read from body heat and so determine the position of your head.

Pretty sick
That would be cool. You could have a visual version of the xy pad, an optical theremin or turning an image to harmonics would be worth trying (like 'bitmap & waves'). You could do tons with the camera actually, if the cpu could handle it.

Imagine also if the power of future hardware is enough to run audio to midi type software. Then you could use the mic or mic connector to contol the synth. If you had a cheap little keyboard it'd be like turning it into a real synth. Pie in the sky stuff perhaps, but plausible!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for DS-10 / DS-20 / New KORG DS Products

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Tilting/moving your DS to make sounds would also look pretty cool in a live performance :).

BarataSound

Post by BarataSound » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 am

I wish they would co-operate with Namco to make the Easy Piano work with ds10. It is a bit far fetched, but it would be cool.

Hmmh, that pic doesn't look like it's exactly the same one as my one..

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 am

I almost bought one of these, is it any good ?

BarataSound

Post by BarataSound » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:26 am

Hmmh.. I have to think about it. so it's not perfect. The keyboard is sturdy and flimsy at the same time, but it's not too bad. You can play polyphonic piano on it, but the sound is very sampley. Maybe add a little effects and it would be usable in a song or two.

The main purpose of it is to learn piano, and it kinda works. I remember names of notes better (I am not a keyboard player) and you can play many songs on it karaoke style.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm

- The markers should scroll in the song mode. Why the hell didn't they fix this?

Vector Wolf

Post by Vector Wolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm

I almost always record my songs live (i.e. not in song mode), so the feature I would most want is this: When you're selecting a pattern with "lock" on, you can't switch to the synth/kaoss/whatever other screens or it stays on the pattern you're on, you have to wait for it to change. I would like the change to not be interrupted when I select a new one and switch to another screen before the pattern change occurs.

motone

Post by motone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am

For me, the song mode is completely useless, because there are not enough available song steps. A song at 120 BPM can be max. ~3:30 long. I usually do tracks longer than 5 mins.