Ideas for DS-10 / DS-20 / New KORG DS Products

Rock Kandy

Re: Ideas for DS-10 / DS-20 / New KORG DS Products

Post by Rock Kandy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:06 am

Being able to use a single kaoss pad for all the instruments at the same time for effects such aa a filter to start a song off or make transitions
oh and with a hold button like a kp3

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:28 pm

As any new Korg DS product will come out once the 3ds is available. With more processing power, better sound quality etc. It should be very easy to improve on the DS10+ even just by adding more synth and improving the sequencer.

The M01 already has these:

1. up to 64 beats per pattern - max 99 patterns
2. SUperb Copy/paste/insert/delete/erase/transpose functions
3. note durations down to 1/4 of a beat nad notes can be extended upwards in duration of 1/4 beats - eg. notes can be 2.25 beats long.
4. adjust values up or down using the stylus to slide away from a touch box - instead of a dial on the DS10
More parameters can be placed on a single screen'
5 Polyphony - Yes! This would be the biggest step on the next korg ds10. . . .but remember - M01 is just triggering a sound whilst DS10 is more busy Manipulating a Wave
6. Reverb function.

My biggest question is - WIll the 3d visuals on the 3ds allow for a better interface? For example - you may be able to view all 4 synths at once stacked on top of each other .

The other question is - will the 3ds version sell as many as the DS versions?

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I'd like to see
-built in EQ -already mentioned
-Acess to the mixer while in song mode- I've only got DS-10, sans plus, so I don't know if that's possible with plus or not
-more patterns- this needs to happen- The consumer has spoken now the manufacturer needs to deliver

-Gabriel-

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 pm

AudioArtist wrote:I'd like to see
-built in EQ -already mentioned
-Acess to the mixer while in song mode- I've only got DS-10, sans plus, so I don't know if that's possible with plus or not
-more patterns- this needs to happen- The consumer has spoken now the manufacturer needs to deliver

-Gabriel-
You can access the mixer in song mode with Plus as well as many other features. More patterns would be nice but with Plus a song can be 200 pattern slots long rather than just 100. EQ would be nice but as far as individual tones go I try to do EQing within the sound design/song creation process. Overall EQ (if necessary) I do in my DAW as part of the mastering process.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:55 am

Syscrusher-You can access the mixer in song mode with Plus
Another reason I HAVE to get a DSi and a Plus cart. :)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:06 am

AudioArtist wrote:
Syscrusher-You can access the mixer in song mode with Plus
Another reason I HAVE to get a DSi and a Plus cart. :)
Absolutely. Nice tunes BTW!

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks Syscrusher!

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Something other things I thought of,

-record knob adjustments in the synth edit window, it just does things sometimes that the Kaoss pad doesn't

-use two stylus at once!!- sometimes I'll take notes while I'm making my patterns and every once in a while I'll end up with my pencil in one hand and the stylus in the other. So in reference to the prior idea.. just think of what you could do!

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:24 am

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned:

Make the physical buttons useful! Hell, make them customizable. This could be for you guys that play live to have pattern queues at your fingertips without having to switch off the Kaoss Pad or volume / mute controls, or any other number of things. Having an ever-ready play / pause button is nice, but not particularly useful once you get going, Y and A muting / unmuting all in song mode is damn near useless, and I don't even think B is assigned to anything. They should really re-think these.

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 am

As much as id like to have extra features on my ds, i think if they released a new one with the stuff id like, i probably wouldnt by it haha, at the moment im quite happy with korg ds-10 and the challenge of getting the sound i want with what i have, it pushes me to learn new ways of getting around things.
I love my ds lite and korg ds-10!
Although maybe one more oscillator on each synth would be tastey :P
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Tao

Post by Tao » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

I wont say anything new here. Only agree to what some other people has said!

First, I also think one of the great charm is in the DS-10s limitations. So I wouldnt care for many of those functions many are suggesting.

My three things I would like to have on the next KORG:

1. I would like 32 patterns instead of 16. That would be very useful to write more complex songs!
2. I would like to have some more effects (tremolo, reverb, phaser) and more flexebility in the use with them.
3. Make use of the microphone so we can make our own samples!!

I really really hope there will be at least 1 (one) more product from KORG on the DS! Yes im more than happy with both my DS-10 and M01. But we can always dream =)

The 3DS has much smaller touchscreen than the DSi XL. And the size on the screen do matter when when it is such small screens!

Hooray for all KORG products on the DS :)

DifficultListening

Post by DifficultListening » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

Resurrecting this thread again...
One feature that would take no time at all to implement and would help me a lot would be to allow easy transposition of whole patterns up and down by one semitone, as well as forward and back by one step. This would make it much easier to line up note data performed on the KP with the other synth or drum patterns already playing.

Because I rely on the KP scale/mode function instead of actually knowing any music, recording notes using the KP is really important when I'm trying to compose. I have often come up with interesting sequences (to me, anyway!) jamming with the KP, and especially if I don't have a guide drum track or my timing is wonky then I end up shifting all the pattern data manually so that the start of the musical phrase matches the start of the pattern. Transposition is less painful than having to shuffle the pitch/duration/volume/pan/kpx/kpy by hand, but still not that fun.

You could easily implement transposition as holding down the B button like a Shift key, then using the DPad up/down to transpose notes or KPx/y values up or down by one step. For shifting the timing of patterns, hold the B button and use the DPad left/right to rotate all note data (pitch, duration, volume, pan, KPx/y) forward or backward one step, with the data that "falls off" the first or last step of the pattern wrapped back around to the other edge. If this feature were implemented, the KP would become much more useful to me as an alternative to the piano roll for composition.

The other feature I'd really like, not being a real muso, would be an option to see some cues on the piano roll sequencer and keyboard screens as to which notes are in the scale and mode currently set on the KP for that synth voice. I know this is probably as hip and fashionable as training wheels or those crappy "teaching" music keyboards that flash LEDs under the keys you are meant to press, but it would also make the DS-10 a much better teaching aid for my young son, who is interested in learning music. It wouldn't have to be garish to be useful... although I do wonder whether the graphic artist for the DS-10 needed to be so restrained... it is so very very monochrome! :|

Lastly, and less important to me, I'd like some kind of visual cue about the tempo (a single pixel horizontal line running L->R to show where in the pattern we are?) plus a digit display for where in the song we are (3 digit pattern counter). These would help me with timing my solos in song mode on the DS-10+. I haven't got a great idea for how that extra information could fit into the current layout, so this is not as high on my wish list as the easy transposition and scale/mode cues.

UncleBibby

Post by UncleBibby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 am

I noticed that many 3DS games can write data onto an inserted SD card. Maybe if they make a Korg cartridge for 3DS, it should be able to write mp3s or wavs right onto the SD card!

Also, there should be a mode that automatically restricts your compositions to the limitations of the NES or the Famicom. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about whether our songs were 8-bit or not, we could just press the 8-bit button before composing a song, and it would force us to obey the rules of the NES soundchip!

Oh, and maybe there'd be a SNES button too, and a Sega Genesis button, and an Atari button, so we could make SNES, Genesis and Atari songs just as easily!

And maybe we could record samples using the microphone, and maybe we could import samples using the SD card, and maybe we could even upload our songs to a website just like Flipnote Studio on DSiWare!

Just thinking about the possibilities makes me excited!
Oonts-oonts-oonts-oonts...

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm

This one would be immensely useful IMO. Incorporate the ability to link/group faders so that you could linearly move 2 or more faders at once!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:24 pm

We should make a nice comprehensive list of all this soon and send it to Detune or something :)
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Fri May 20, 2011 10:05 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:We should make a nice comprehensive list of all this soon and send it to Detune or something :)
Good idea!

One thing i would love to do is change the tempo from one to another in one jump for example from 120 - 160 within the space of one beat rather than slowly raising it as you do now.
As said before, maybe 1 track that you can use to record something off the ds mic and sample it across a keyboard, like nitrotracker.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Sinqlogue

Post by Sinqlogue » Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm

HarleyLikesMusic wrote:
DS-10 Dominator wrote:We should make a nice comprehensive list of all this soon and send it to Detune or something :)
Good idea!

One thing i would love to do is change the tempo from one to another in one jump for example from 120 - 160 within the space of one beat rather than slowly raising it as you do now.
As said before, maybe 1 track that you can use to record something off the ds mic and sample it across a keyboard, like nitrotracker.
Definitely agree on both suggestions. About the individual tempo per pattern, same with swing.

What I really want is more then 1 measure per pattern. 4 would be great, but 2 would suit me perfectly.

SS7117

Post by SS7117 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 am

I think having the ability to pick from a variety of diffrent korg synths would be cool. each having its own unique features and sound presets. i would love to carry a micro microkorg or R3 around and maybe a EMX-1 . i think choosing from different drum machines would be cool to.
"hey this is my signature, it's not part of every post I make." lol
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/siteb-1/thingstoc ... ing-tracks[/soundcloud]

mrsonic699

Post by mrsonic699 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

I would love it to have some kind of Double menu. Instead of having a screen in wich you select what menu is on the other screen, You could actually have like 2 Menus, and you could keep swapping between them insanely fast by using the L Button, Instead of using it only to be able to select another menu on the other screen. And also like holding a button to make you possible to change what menu appears on the respective screen; This thing would be insanely useful for live playing :D

Sorry if you can't really understand, I don't know how to explain this too well.
I don't speak trough words. I use formant synthesis.

fluid

Post by fluid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Have you guys considered how utterly awesome a Wii U version could be? Along with gobs of additional processing power, you could play the thing on the controller while the TV outputs some kind of visualization. Add some speakers and a projector and you've got sweet live setup.

I like the Wii U already, but I would buy one the INSTANT that DS-10 or some software like it is released.