Recording to youtube

bryface

Recording to youtube

Post by bryface » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm thinking of putting together a couple of videos of my work on teh yew tewbz, and i realized I don't have too much experience dealing with the nuances of youtube's uploading system. I was wondering if any of you could dispense any tips on how to get the best results.

1) Do you:
- webcam with audio source from line-in?
- record the video performance with a separate camera altogether while you perform to a separate line-in, and then splice the audio together with the video?

2) what's a good freeware video editing system these days?

3) do you try to to the FLV conversion as much as possible on your end to ensure video quality? (is that even possible?)

4) anything else i should be aware of? video/audio synchronization issues, settings to maximize the youtube community expereience, etc.?

I'm not too sure exactly what form the videos will take but i'm curious to see what everyone else's experience was.

Decktonic

Re: Recording to youtube

Post by Decktonic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:03 am

1. I would splice audio with video. I haven't recorded any live video, I've usually just done screencaptures of iTunes visualizations or song with a static picture, but that's what I would do.

2. Can't help you there, I use something paid. If you have Windows, Move Maker gets the job done... I guess.

3. No, never done that, I just upload .mov and let Youtube handle it. The most important thing to remember, though, is to export to one of the sizes supported by Youtube. I do 1280x720 because that's their HD size.

4. If you really want your video to do well, make friends with other users, add tags to your video, and add annotations throughout that say things like "suscribe to my channel" and "click here for another video of mine."

I upload some videos to Youtube for the heck of it, haven't gotten much response but then again I don't put too much work into it.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 pm

is there a tool than can make some nice visuals automatically from an mp3?

mmm... maybe a processing program?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:is there a tool than can make some nice visuals automatically from an mp3?
Or you could play your song on Audiosurf :lol:
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

squelch

Post by squelch » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:09 am

Decktonic wrote:
DS-10 Dominator wrote:is there a tool than can make some nice visuals automatically from an mp3?
or play your tunes in itunes app, lovely graphics. not sure how u would capture it though

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 pm

squelch wrote:
Decktonic wrote:
or play your tunes in itunes app, lovely graphics. not sure how u would capture it though
A screen recorder like CamStudio.org or Screenflow should be able to capture fullscreen iTunes visualizations.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:36 pm

1) With all my live youtube stuff i record video on a dvd camcorder or fuji camera while recording a seperate line in from instruments. I wish more people would take the time to do this, there are many videos with really bad audio on youtube. I use Audacity to record my audio as its free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

2) I used windows movie maker but found i couldn't load mp4 into it so found NCH Videopad which is very good for a freebie as it allow overdubbing of audio, imports and exports lots of formats and even lets me import directly from my dvd cameras disc. I export from it in avi as a container for mp4 as its built in mp4 encoder times out after a while. Its here:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

3) Like dectronic says, youtube recompresses everything anyway. All you need to worry about is ratio and resolution. If you find you upload and its in the wrong ratio you can use text in the tags like yt:stretch=16:9 to correct it.

4) You shouldn't have any sync issues as long as you stick to digital, ie don't record audio or video to tape. Its rubbish. Fact :)

Edit: Actually there is a bit of a knack to syncing audio and video. Make sure you can see the exact point you hit the play button in ds-10 then it should be fairly easy to sync that moment to the waveform below. Its like those old clap board things they use on film sets

Give us a link when you upload something and we can have a look.

bryface

Post by bryface » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 am

thanks for the tips everyone, it was really helpful. this is the result:

i took a point-and-shoot canon SD780 camera and a mount, and recorded the DS while i had Audacity taking care of the line-in.
i ended up using videopad to splice/sync my video and audio together -- thanks for the tip Chris. At first i tried using virtualdub, but it's just too rickety to get a pipeline going.

encoded it to an H.264 mp4 with lossless AAC audio track.

So far i'm happy with the result, but i do think i'd like to use an even more comprehensive video-editing program for more control over the graphics/compositing -- i'd like to be able to integrate things like album covers or title overlays, that sort of thing.
Also, Is it just me, or are there still steps i can take to make my audio sound better? i had thought that youtube's 720p setting preserves the audio track as best as possible, but i could be wrong.

In my day job i use adobe flash, so one thing i might experiment with using the sound API to create some EQ-driven visualizations for the songs. but that's a big If that's dependent on how much time i have.

trnsprnt

Post by trnsprnt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:58 am

I've been thinking of doing what you say, a live rec of the Nintendo screen plus somke layers of video/photos over it. Some friend recommended me Premiere, but it seems like a too much pro software. If I find some easier program I'll tell you.

By the way, the song is great and the video looks almost perfect (maybe a closer shot would be better).

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:09 am

bryface wrote:thanks for the tips everyone, it was really helpful. this is the result:

i took a point-and-shoot canon SD780 camera and a mount, and recorded the DS while i had Audacity taking care of the line-in.
i ended up using videopad to splice/sync my video and audio together -- thanks for the tip Chris. At first i tried using virtualdub, but it's just too rickety to get a pipeline going.

encoded it to an H.264 mp4 with lossless AAC audio track.

So far i'm happy with the result, but i do think i'd like to use an even more comprehensive video-editing program for more control over the graphics/compositing -- i'd like to be able to integrate things like album covers or title overlays, that sort of thing.
Also, Is it just me, or are there still steps i can take to make my audio sound better? i had thought that youtube's 720p setting preserves the audio track as best as possible, but i could be wrong.

In my day job i use adobe flash, so one thing i might experiment with using the sound API to create some EQ-driven visualizations for the songs. but that's a big If that's dependent on how much time i have.
thanks for the explanation
useful topic, keep it going :)
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Great job!

The audio doesn't sound like it needs improving in quality to me, i previewed a section in 720p and it was fine, the ds audio output is less than CD quality anyway.

Its a shame that videopad is not more in depth like you say. Even the paid for version doesn't have 2 tracks of video, so i didn't think it was worth buying. Shame.

Great track too. Very energetic.