Cheap but Effective Headset Suggestion

eight9

Cheap but Effective Headset Suggestion

Post by eight9 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi all. I would like to ask for a suggested headset that would go perfectly with Nintendo DS. It would be nice if you've actually tried the product with Korg DS-10. Many Thanks.

Ex.
-Sennheisser CX 300-II (although I haven't really tried it yet, its just an example. Peace :) )
eight9 uses and abuses Nintendo DS Lite, Korg DS-10 Plus, Acid Pro 4.0 and EEE PC900

Decktonic

Re: Cheap but Effective Headset Suggestion

Post by Decktonic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 pm

I have two of the Sennheiser HD 203, except I think the ones I have are older models. The first one I got for $50 and the second was on sale for $25. I think I bought these back in 2005. They are good for the $50 range. They are *not* proper studio headphones for music mastering, but then again, that would cost much more.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

Sound quality aside, make sure they have at least Sensitivity (db) : 105dB/mW due to the relatively low output of the DS. It makes a big difference.

eight9

Post by eight9 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:50 am

Syscrusher wrote:Sound quality aside, make sure they have at least Sensitivity (db) : 105dB/mW due to the relatively low output of the DS. It makes a big difference.
Oh, thanks a lot, I never thought of that. :D
eight9 uses and abuses Nintendo DS Lite, Korg DS-10 Plus, Acid Pro 4.0 and EEE PC900

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Sound quality aside, make sure they have at least Sensitivity (db) : 105dB/mW due to the relatively low output of the DS. It makes a big difference.
Yes very true, probably best to go ear buds.

The best ear buds i have ever use are also sennheisers, the MX80's which can provide a ridiculous ammount of bass for there size. They are also very comfy and great for using for long periods. i use them all day at work with little ear fatigue. I also have a couple of pairs of normal size sennheisers cans which i like a lot. Sony ear buds are also pretty good if you cant find mx80's.

QauNuckShin

Post by QauNuckShin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Syscrusher wrote:due to the relatively low output of the DS
I usually route the DS through my computer. Line-in -> headphones or speakers. Eliminates that particular problem.
QauNuckShin // Snild Dolkow
Purist - single-take, single DS-10, no editing.
Author of the DS-10 Manager application.
http://dolkow.se/music, https://www.facebook.com/snilddolkow

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 pm

QauNuckShin wrote:I usually route the DS through my computer. Line-in -> headphones or speakers. Eliminates that particular problem.
Absolutely, but one of the nice things about the DS-10 is it's portability so if you want to work away from the computer good phones are a must.

eight9

Post by eight9 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks Decktonic, ChrisLody, QauNuckShin and Syscrusher. Perhaps I can buy 1 that goes with my PC and one that goes with my DS. But I guess I have to buy the phone that goes with the DS first since most of my time is spent on it alone. But great suggestions. Many many thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions here.

Now, what I need to do is go and look for one thats available, hmmm...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 pm

They say Koss make good headphones, any opinions on their cool small headphones?

soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

eight9

Post by eight9 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:They say Koss make good headphones, any opinions on their cool small headphones?

hmmm... I dont think ive seen a Koss brand in the Philippines before. Most of the products here (that Ive seen) are either Sony, Philips,Bose,Pioneer, JVC, TDK, and Sennheiser. It looks interesting.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 am

BTW for user reviews this site is brilliant: http://www.harmonycentral.com/products
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:They say Koss make good headphones, any opinions on their cool small headphones?

Yeah, Koss are some of the best for the money when it comes to cheapies. I don't have a pair of porta pros (like the ones pictured) but I do have some KSC75s that I snapped onto a cheap wallmart radio headband. The only problem you'll run into with Koss is that they're open supra aural, so good luck using them on the bus or a similarly loud environment.

Another good headphone that is similar to the Koss porta pro and KSC75 would be Sennheiser's PX100.

IMO a good, cheap, non earbud option would be Panasonic's RP-HTX7. They're reasonably well isolated and low impedence. Amazon calls them 'monitors', but that might be a tad generous. They're good for the $30 price tag, but I would make sure I do my final mixes on something better and at home.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to swing by headphone.com or head-fi.org and look around.
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Hmm. Koss may not be in the Philippines because they're an American company and haven't penetrated the market there? Though fwiw, I remember seeing Koss headphones at some of the larger department stores in Japan.
J Kantz

Image Image Image

miara

Post by miara » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 am

eight9 wrote:

hmmm... I dont think ive seen a Koss brand in the Philippines before. Most of the products here (that Ive seen) are either Sony, Philips,Bose,Pioneer, JVC, TDK, and Sennheiser. It looks interesting.
Check 5th Ave at Park Square 2/ SM Mega for a Koss PortaPro. There are also some pre-loved goodies being sold at TPC :) I think they are being sold for something like Php2,200 (more/less) Bnew

eight9

Post by eight9 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks Miara

eggsample

Post by eggsample » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

From the beginning I was using Creative EP-630 as a mobile set.
In hone I'm using old but confortable AKG K-240DF. I know they are antiques :)
I was testing many headsets and also cinese Pioneer MJ21 which are total crap.

For me the best and the cheapest still are Creative EP-630.
6Hz - 23KHz - hiper portable