iMS-20 for iPad

alexusual

Re: iMS-20 for iPad

Post by alexusual » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:46 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Did you try connecting patterns (like I explained in my DS-10 vs iMS-20 post) to make longer than 16 step loops? Haven't really fiddled with it yet...

Detune and KORG have said they will listen to user suggestions and try to implement them, so get in contact if you have any tips!

I'm sure this isn't the last KORG app will see, and things will get more intuitive...

Its great to hear that Korg and Detune are listening - any ideas where to send feedback?

Cheers, Alex
Last edited by alexusual on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
If in doubt, feed the VCO2 into something ..

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 am

alexusual wrote:
DS-10 Dominator wrote:Did you try connecting patterns (like I explained in my DS-10 vs iMS-20 post) to make longer than 16 step loops? Haven't really fiddled with it yet...

Detune and KORG have said they will listen to user suggestions and try to implement them, so get in contact if you have any tips!

I'm sure this isn't the last KORG app will see, and things will get more intuitive...

My point is not that it isn't possible to make longer than 16 step loops, its that its a pain in the arse to do so using the looping options.

Say i want to make a 4 bar(64 step) melodic hook or chord sequence. This is a common songwriting technique. Firstly, I will have to use a quarter(!) of the available 16 patterns just to make that 4 pattern loop. Secondly, I will not be able to edit the notes etc as the loop plays as the screen flashes between the patterns as it plays across them. This is what I mean by limited sequencing options which were acceptable(even fun!) on the DS10 but are ridiculous on the iMS20.

Its true i could set up a 4 bar loop and then input by recording from the keyboard, but hey, I don't always want to do that, and being able to tweak using a step sequencer is a great way of doing things. Also, I could go half or quarter tempo to make more time, but then I lose drum resolution. And that makes me sad.

Yes, like you say I'm sure there'll be more amazing and intuitive apps from korg and updates to this app, and hopefully the sequencer gets a rethink! I think the DS10 one is great, if it went to 64 steps it'd be near perfect for me!

Its great to hear that Korg and Detune are listening - any ideas where to send feedback?

Cheers, Alex
try http://twitter.com/#!/sanodg ....
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

http://soundcloud.com/inalog/16-step-ambient

experiment i did with just patterns of 16 steps. I used different sequencer modes (random, resetting at 14 steps etc).

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

I'm excited about this because the MS-20 legacy controller works with the iMS-20! Got the controller-need the iPad now...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 am

Syscrusher wrote:I'm excited about this because the MS-20 legacy controller works with the iMS-20! Got the controller-need the iPad now...
Ha :) then you can definitely put it to use yes :).

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:http://soundcloud.com/inalog/16-step-ambient

experiment i did with just patterns of 16 steps. I used different sequencer modes (random, resetting at 14 steps etc).
wow! that sounds awesome!

thats given me some inspiration, thanks!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Some more noise, inspired by Sunn O)))

http://soundcloud.com/inalog/ims-20-drones

spurgeasaurusRex

Post by spurgeasaurusRex » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm

i have been playing around with the ims-20 for a few months now, and it has its charms! although you only get one synth track and six drums, as opposed to four synths and 8 drums on the ds10. the synthesizer itself has many more options on the ims-20 though. the patching is ridiculous!

as for a 64 step sequence, it is possible on ims20 using the step grid option on the pattern screen. you can set an individual pattern to be anywhere from 1 to 64 steps. i haven't fiddled with it too much, but i'm sure some creative people will figure out how to make it so it doesn't just repeat the 16 step sequence four times before going to the next pattern in your song. maybe using the technique we use in ds10 to make patterns seem longer by patching into one of the waves (therefore changing the pitch of the sequence over time) could work here.

i personally love the drum sequencer with the reset trigger ins!! you can make some serious polyrhythms. and the ability to set an effect for each individual drum sound is awesome, just awesome. the decimator and the reverbs are great for adding some depth to a simple sound.

also, the unsolo/mute all button is a must if you're looking for some nasty drops. and multitouch of course. there are so many options on the ims20 that make it better than ds10. i only wish there were at least 2 synth tracks. granted with some creative patching you can turn all the drums into synths anyway, but it would have been nice to have extra tracks from the get go.

i could go on for days...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 pm

So far i find DS-10 much more creative then iMS-20.... it seems like DS-10 was a real redesign for the digital age where iMS-20 was just a copy.... It's still a lot of fun and it sounds great, but I'm hoping for something NEW soon.

spurgeasaurusRex

Post by spurgeasaurusRex » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 pm

i find myself using the ds10 for things that are more melodious , where i want to layer synths, and i agree that it is more creative in that respect. i much prefer piano roll to step sequencer in this case. i find ds10 is geared much more toward melody than ims20.

but for drums and dirty sounding synths that i need to play with a midi keyboard, ims20 is where it's at for me. :D that decimator is just GRRRUNGY. plus all the feedback you can generate with the patchbay can really make it scream. not that the ds10 can't scream in its own right.

i love them both, what can i say. they are like brother-synths.

i also just picked up ielectribe for $10. everyone with an ipad get this app!! it takes some getting used to but it is an excellent drum synth. and no, i don't work for korg :P

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 am

Yeh I love using my iMS20 to make crazy patches which i can then re-create on my vst version to sequence. I avoid the sequencer on the iMS20 because it makes me crazy, fiddling all those little buttons. and I agree the effects on each channel are awesome, i love the reverb 2 and the chorus so much!

A DS10 like app for the iPAd would be KILLER, I'm just excersicing regularly and eating healthy so I live to see that day :)))

Just got the electribe, gonna have a little twiddle now :)))