Anyone got any song strucutre tips / links?

ChrisLody

Anyone got any song strucutre tips / links?

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:13 pm

One area which is a constant source of frustration for me when wrting is song structure. I think it probably because i'm self taught but sometimes i get completely stuck, especially trying to get one section to lead into another. I usually just end up trying a million ideas until something gels.

I have read a few magazine articles that might be worth digging out (i could scan and upload them actually) but these related mostly to big room house sort of stuff and not to general song structure. Often i don't even know what sort of music i'm making even as i'm making it so i don't know what rules to apply where etc.

Any links anyone has would be appreciated. I'll also keep looking around for anything useful and post it up here if i think its any good.

Decktonic

Re: Anyone got any song strucutre tips / links?

Post by Decktonic » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I don't have any links but what helped me a lot was to look at pop music, and look at my songs with pop rules in mind. So I try to come up with "intro verse chorus verse chorus bridge outro" or however that goes. Not that I end up following those rules, but I do try to come up with distinct parts.

If you can sacrifice the pattern space, you can build patterns where one instrument fades out and another fades in, or where one melody leads into another, or you can do hard stops / drops / builds which give you a lot of flexibility, since they can incorporate big changes without much effort.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

ChrisLody

Re: Anyone got any song strucutre tips / links?

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Funnily enough its mostly the pop type structures that i'm ignorant about. I've listened to plenty of pop but that kind of stucture doesn't come naturally to me for some reason (i have no idea what a bridge actually is) so i'll concetrate on reading up on that first i think. Luckily i dug around and found a good series to read on the SOS website earlier, Making Arrangements:

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url= ... &Subject=1

I tend to find myself using a dance type structure with builds, breakdowns and drops, even if i'm still not sure what i'm doing. I've got some good articles about that, just need to find em. Either that or i stick to a nice flat dub/ambient structure with very little change.

I like the idea of building a pattern that cross fades from one melody to another, never thought of that before :D