What exactly should I get?

seedmuse

What exactly should I get?

Post by seedmuse » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi, thanks for this board. I've been inspired lately by you tube videos of the ds-10 (posted by some of you guys) and the monotron and want to get a ds-10. What do I buy? This is what I know so far: ds-10 plus software doesn't work on a ds lite, an xl has a bigger screen than a dsi. If you were gonna buy new what would you get?

Also where would you get it? I live in NY and of course can but online etc.

Thanks again...

Syscrusher

Re: What exactly should I get?

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 pm

I'd go for the DS-10+ and the DSi XL. You may be able to find an XL used. I found one at a local pawn shop for $50.
The monotron is a great thing as well ( I bought two! )

seedmuse

Post by seedmuse » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks Syscrusher, I'm enjoying "Primum Mobile" right now, love the noise waves. The dsi vs dsxl: I like smaller and more portable, but from a musicians stand point does the xl have something the dsi doesn't that I might regret later on if I don't have it?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 pm

seedmuse wrote: I'm enjoying "Primum Mobile" right now, love the noise waves.
Hey thanks!

I have the subjective impression that the output volume is better in the DSi XL (I have a regular DSi as well). It just seems louder and louder at the source is better for recording of course. I don't intend to get rid of my regular DSi because I like the portability aspect as well, however the screen size of the XL really makes a difference when using the DS-10. The larger interface is just a real advantage; it makes for smoother fader moves etc...

Hope this helps!

WarpToken

Post by WarpToken » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:27 am

seedmuse wrote:This is what I know so far: ds-10 plus software doesn't work on a ds lite, an xl has a bigger screen than a dsi
DS10+ Cart works on DS lite!! You just can't do Dual Mode.
Scope out my music!!
http://soundcloud.com/warptoken

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 am

WarpToken wrote:
seedmuse wrote:This is what I know so far: ds-10 plus software doesn't work on a ds lite, an xl has a bigger screen than a dsi
DS10+ Cart works on DS lite!! You just can't do Dual Mode.
Yeah, I don't have Plus, but I've read that on regular DS and DS Lites, it provides the same functionality as the original DS-10, plus an additional upgrade which allows real time manipulation of material during song playback.
genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration (thomas edison)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 am

I have a DSi and DS10+. I think this is the best way to go. If you want something that's portable, get the DSi. It also has the most durable body (rubber exterior instead of plastic). DSi XL is kind of a luxury product... I mean, it's great, but you can't put it in your pocket.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Decktonic wrote:It also has the most durable body (rubber exterior instead of plastic).
Whaaa? Rubber? Really? Is that what you guys have in the USA? The exterior of my DSi is brushed aluminum or something. I've never seen a rubber one.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Syscrusher wrote:
Decktonic wrote:It also has the most durable body (rubber exterior instead of plastic).
Whaaa? Rubber? Really? Is that what you guys have in the USA? The exterior of my DSi is brushed aluminum or something. I've never seen a rubber one.
Yep. I don't know what kind of second-rate DSi you have =P

p.s. this forum needs a smiley with the tongue sticking out.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases