DS-10 clock.

Syscrusher

DS-10 clock.

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Check this out from the Synthrotek website. It converts audio into an analog clock signal for syncing. They even use the DS-10 as an example. It's also available in kit form form on the website.

http://www.synthrotek.com/2010/08/26/cc ... -complete/

Geolm

Re: DS-10 clock.

Post by Geolm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 am

Thank you for sharing this news, it sounds like a great tool but a bit too expensive for me (not counting the shipping fee since I don't live in usa).

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Yeah $65 + shipping is a chunk of change for something like this however the full kit is only $35. I may go that route. Seems like a small price to pay to be able to sync the DS-10 up to other gear.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Nice idea! Presumably you'd need to have something fairly clean sounding and on the beat hard panned for detection to work.

I've been wondering for a while if a system like this could be done in software for realtime conversion to midi. I'd imagine if a lump of hardware can do it then software probably can. I have zero programming ability though.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:36 pm

ChrisLody wrote:Presumably you'd need to have something fairly clean sounding and on the beat hard panned for detection to work.
Yes, presumably. However that got me to thinking...

- By hard panning (and also isolating) the regular beat that will serve as the clock, any stereo imaging in the DS-10 will be lost.

- When thinking about a solution to the above problem it occurred to me that this is perhaps the best usage of the syncing of multiple DS-10s. One DS-10 will always be a left or right channel metronome. The other channel still can be used and however many other DSs are synced are free in both channels. Once you do this, you can sync up the the arpeggiator of your Juno-60 or SH-101 or whatever. Also, once you have an isolated clock signal there are several ways to turn that into a Midi tempo message and voila - midi synced DS-10s! They will always have to be the master clock of course.

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 am

Syscrusher wrote:
ChrisLody wrote:Presumably you'd need to have something fairly clean sounding and on the beat hard panned for detection to work.

- By hard panning (and also isolating) the regular beat that will serve as the clock, any stereo imaging in the DS-10 will be lost.

- When thinking about a solution to the above problem it occurred to me that this is perhaps the best usage of the syncing of multiple DS-10s. One DS-10 will always be a left or right channel metronome. The other channel still can be used and however many other DSs are synced are free in both channels. Once you do this, you can sync up the the arpeggiator of your Juno-60 or SH-101 or whatever. Also, once you have an isolated clock signal there are several ways to turn that into a Midi tempo message and voila - midi synced DS-10s! They will always have to be the master clock of course.
...That's pretty brilliant.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:43 am

Infininja wrote:
Syscrusher wrote:

...That's pretty brilliant.
INDEED!
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

plieuw

Post by plieuw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I do a similar trick with the mbass11, use the right channel of the ds to send out a click. the click triggers the bassdrum on the mbass.

stereo image gets fucked only mono (but most pa systems in clubs are mono :mrgreen: )

wish they hade made the clock tingy with midi out.......instead of cv trigger.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm

plieuw wrote:(but most pa systems in clubs are mono :mrgreen: )
well not really, it's mostly stereo in our country I can tell you, almost all of the 30 shows I played I had stereo. BUT the speaker/audience placement is often so awkward that stereo/mono doesn't really matter.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator