Always keep an eye on that power

Inkmo

Always keep an eye on that power

Post by Inkmo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 am

Ugh. I just had my DS run out of juice the exact moment I hit save. The file corrupted. It was a new one I started tonight (with patches I didn't save) - and it was shaping up really well. I'm so upset.

So today's protip is when you're at home, remember to alway work with you DS plugged in.

Incidentally has anyone ever had any luck recovering a corrupted file?
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Geolm

Re: Always keep an eye on that power

Post by Geolm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

Sad, I feel sorry for you man. Never had a corrupted file, but I find the DSi battery's life shorter than the DS. It lasts only 5-6 hour if I don't set the volume too high... But I don't think that working always with the power supply plugged in is a good idea because I heard that it reduces battery efficiency.

soultron

Post by soultron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Whenever I start really getting something I plug in asap. Better luck next time, it happens.

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:55 pm

That's a real shame man.
Another top tip for when producing music on the ds-10, always have the light set to the lowest setting, you can change this by clicking the light icon in the lower corner when you boot up your ds, the backlight drains down most of the battery.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Ouch! I wondered what would happen under those circumstances. I saved with the power light on red recently, but never again!

Did it just corrupt the save for that song or the whole carts save? I ask because i always save to 2 slots when ever i'm writing and switch back and forth saving 'song1' then 'song2' then 'song3' etc. Mostly so i've got an 'undo' state to fall back on, but it may also help when this happens i guess.

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

I wish I could just pull the file off and run fsck on it and have everything be all better but yeah... :(

So far I'm trying to recreate it. I remember a decent chunk of the notation, but the patches were all happy accidents I made in the car on the way home without headphones, so I don't know if I'll be able to replicate them.

@ChrisLody - It only corrupts the file you were working on. Sadly my cart is totally full of WIPs, so I don't have room to keep redundant backups. I need to get one of those cards, but I haven't done any reading yet about which is optimal for the DSi and Korg +. What really irks me is had it been a single second sooner or later I would still have my file, plus or minus that one last drum flourish I just had to program in.

@Harley - that occurred to me, but I haven't checked in a while. I probably turned it up at some point in the past when I was playing some non-Korg game and forgot about it...
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Inkmo wrote:I need to get one of those cards, but I haven't done any reading yet about which is optimal for the DSi and Korg +.
Get the EMS "NDS ADAPTOR PLUS."

It's perfect.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 pm

@Decktonic - thanks! i was hoping someone might point me in the right direction. i read somewhere some of the nds cards couldn't properly accommodate ds-10 plus.
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

This is maybe a dumb question, but do you know if this card plays nice with Linux?

Edit: Nevermind, I checked. I'm disappointed. Maybe I'll get around to building a second box to run Windows on someday or keep poking around to see if somebody got this thing working under Wine. Someone with an NDS adaptor and a little bit of free time couldn't be arsed to try this out could they? I guess for now I'm going to just have to stick with deleting tracks that don't ever mature/buying extra carts...
J Kantz

Image Image Image

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Inkmo wrote:What really irks me is had it been a single second sooner or later I would still have my file, plus or minus that one last drum flourish I just had to program in.
Actually the ammount of extra current needed to write the data to the flash ram on the cart would easily be enough to push the battery voltage below the threshold of the voltage regulator. So the likelihood of battery death while saving with a red light is pretty high. You probably could have left the ds on for much longer without saving and it would have stayed on, but as soon as you save, blackness! It sucks but its almost designed to happen that way. Nasty ain't it? :(

In my experience it should be fine to save when the light has only just turned red, just don't push it too far!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 am

Inkmo wrote:This is maybe a dumb question, but do you know if this card plays nice with Linux?

Edit: Nevermind, I checked. I'm disappointed. Maybe I'll get around to building a second box to run Windows on someday or keep poking around to see if somebody got this thing working under Wine. Someone with an NDS adaptor and a little bit of free time couldn't be arsed to try this out could they? I guess for now I'm going to just have to stick with deleting tracks that don't ever mature/buying extra carts...
you can probably find an old windows computer for the same price as that USB adapter ;)

Anyway: tough luck man. I once overwrote one of my best tracks before it was finished, that's stupid :D
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 am

hmm. hadn't thought of that but I guess I could have a cheapy computer just for recording purposes. I'd assumed I would build a windows 7 machine at some point in the future when the itch to upgrade to a better photoshop got the better of me.. I guess all I'd really need to spend money on would be a soundcard.
J Kantz

Image Image Image

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Inkmo wrote: I'd assumed I would build a windows 7 machine at some point in the future ...
Worth bearing in mind that there doesn't seem to be any 64 bit drivers, so a 2nd hand xp tower would be a good idea. :D

....32bit xp obviously.