Site Admin

Re: Compilation 'Oceanic'

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Yeah I think so.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Another thing I thought of, if the next "band" writes the story for the previous "bands" tune. Should there be limitations on discussion/PM's between "band" members?
If each "band" was not allowed to discuss their track then it would truly be a real "piece-meal" kind of colab.
I also think that not allowing any discussion would better set the stage for the next "band" to make their story.
On the story side, however, I do think some discussion/brainstorming should be allowed, then compile all the members input and have the best "writer" from the group actualy compose the story.

These are just thoughts, everyone should chime in on this.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 am

Well I definitely think that band members should be able to PM each other as a group for brainstorming purposes. The way that Dominator laid out the duties seems to also be the process order. Layer 1 first then layer 2 etc... discussion could be had amongst band members as far as suitability of material and such - just like a "real band" hashes out their individual parts. Consensus can be reached at each stage of song development. As far as the final mix goes perhaps each band member could have a go at it and a consensus reached within the band - again very much how a band (a democratic one anyway...) operates when choosing between multiple mixes. Since the parameters are fairly tight, mixdown will consist of deciding on relative levels of each of the parts and not much more - all the more reason for steady back-and-forth during the creative process.

Just some thoughts. Putting them out there.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 am

Maybe we can use an online multitracking DAW thing.... if that exists.

angrydroid

Post by angrydroid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm

This sounds like something I'd be interested in joining in on. It also sounds like it is getting more complicated by the hour.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Googled online DAW and found some pretty good looking stuff!

http://www.aviary.com/tools/myna#

http://www.soundation.com/studio

Here's a blog about composing in the cloud:
http://audiosilverlining.info/

If we all use one project we won't have any volume discrepancy in the comp...

AudioArtist

Re: Cloud Composed Compilation 'Oceanic'

Post by AudioArtist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 am

Both Myna and Soundation look like they'll get the job done. I didn't mess around with them too much but, both have fairly straightforward interfaces, shouldn't be a problem for anyone here. My only questions are, will I have to use my internal soundcard and can either create stereo tracks or will everyone need two mono tracks?
Very Cool find DS10-Dominator, I never would have thought to look for something like that.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 am

AudioArtist wrote:Both Myna and Soundation look like they'll get the job done. I didn't mess around with them too much but, both have fairly straightforward interfaces, shouldn't be a problem for anyone here. My only questions are, will I have to use my internal soundcard and can either create stereo tracks or will everyone need two mono tracks?
Very Cool find DS10-Dominator, I never would have thought to look for something like that.
If you have time to fiddle around with it please do so. I wonder how well direct recording works.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:47 am

I'll do a couple test runs later tonight or tomorrow when I get up. I'll let you know how they compare with each other.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am

Just in case, Check your PM's DS10 Dominator

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Now about the two programs, they both are much more oriented towards samples and loops than plain recording. Aviary is totally free, but you must share with the community with your choice of no use, attribution, or attribution non-commercial licsences. Soundation you can keep things totally private and the licsencing is the same, but premium services have a fee. I didn't look too deep into that.
Both are a bit awkward in regard to how you set up to record. Both are Flash based and require that you allow flash access to your mic input and camera. Camera? Why?
They both record very hot, it was the first time I've ever had to turn my ds down when recording. I also had to turn the record level on both programs way down too.
The killer is that neither supports stereo tracks nor will they allow you to record two tracks at once. Panning is possible after tracks are recorded. This is dissapointing to me because I think what people do with their panning for their individual part is very important.
Maybe we can find another online service with features more geared towards what we need. If we find another program or decide to deal with the limitation of one of these we can share around account info so we all will have access to the sessions. Sorry I couldn't come back with awesome news and I also appologize for the length of this message. Let me know if you want a hand searching and testing out other sites etc.
AudioArtist - Gabriel

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Mmmmm... okay mono wouldn't be that great, but it could be an option.

In the meantime let's look for more options

DM-Recorder
[/quote] The DM-Recorder is a 16-rack audio recorder for live or time-delayed recording with several partners using an Internet broadband connection. Project owners can allocate single tracks to members of a joint project. The project's audio files can be securely swapped and stored on a central server allowing all involved to work with their own files independently. Takes can be recorded in real-time with two instances of the DM Recorder using DM-Link technology.

With the software's integrated talkback and videoconference system, producers can coach their artists as if they were recording in a "real" studio. The DM Recorder works in Rewire mode (master and slave) and can be run parallel with Ableton Live 4, Reason, ProTools , Logic and Cubase. Tracks can be swapped to and from other audio applications using drag and drop. The DM-Recorder is a stand-alone complete recording application for Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X. The only requirements needed are a free digitalmusician.net account and a broadband Internet connection.

A public beta version of the DM Recorder is immediately available for registered users as a free download on digitalmusician.net.

For more information, visit their web site at www.digitalmusician.net.[/quote]

http://www.digitalmusician.net/en/infocenter/accounts

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Mmmmm... okay mono wouldn't be that great, but it could be an option.

In the meantime let's look for more options

DM-Recorder
The DM-Recorder is a 16-rack audio recorder for live or time-delayed recording with several partners using an Internet broadband connection. Project owners can allocate single tracks to members of a joint project. The project's audio files can be securely swapped and stored on a central server allowing all involved to work with their own files independently. Takes can be recorded in real-time with two instances of the DM Recorder using DM-Link technology.

With the software's integrated talkback and videoconference system, producers can coach their artists as if they were recording in a "real" studio. The DM Recorder works in Rewire mode (master and slave) and can be run parallel with Ableton Live 4, Reason, ProTools , Logic and Cubase. Tracks can be swapped to and from other audio applications using drag and drop. The DM-Recorder is a stand-alone complete recording application for Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X. The only requirements needed are a free digitalmusician.net account and a broadband Internet connection.

A public beta version of the DM Recorder is immediately available for registered users as a free download on digitalmusician.net.

For more information, visit their web site at http://www.digitalmusician.net.
http://www.digitalmusician.net/en/infocenter/accounts

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:53 pm

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:58 pm

DROPBOX + AUDACITY?

This might actually be a good idea.....? We might need to compress the audio as much as possible to keep the syncing quick, not really a problem.
Dropbox will do exactly what you are looking for.
It creates a online folder that will automatically update any computers synced to that account.
If you save the project folder in your dropbox folder it will be up to date on any other computer.
If you or the collaborator changes the content of the folder it will update on the other person's computer.
You can move files in and out of the folder as if it were a normal folder on your desktop.
Really useful.
https://www.dropbox.com/

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:01 pm

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:09 pm

I got the digitalmusician recorder up and running. I couldn't demo the indaba recorder, keeps saying "mantis" not found.
The digitalmusician recorder seems pretty good, if you don't already have an ASIO driver for your soundcard you'll have to get that to even open the DMC. You can set up a project by invite or request/approval. It does support stereo tracks, and the quality of recording is good, wav. 16bit 44.1k sample rate. You'l need to turn your DS way down, or perhaps get into your sound card settings and turn the mic input down there, seems to want to clip out rather easy on my computer. I think the DMC recorder is pretty good, my only concern is there is a session/project maximum size, so I wonder how long, how many tracks are possible. Everyone would need an account for this as well.
There's many other aspects of syncing and sharing with each other that would need to be figured out, can't be too hard though.

mistyminds

Post by mistyminds » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 am

Count me in too! (^_^)/

I have also started an attempt to spread the word to the
DS-10 community in Japan... let's see if anyone joins in from our island =D

mistyminds.

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 am

I've tried and tried, but I've never been able to get ASIO work on my computer.