Web Promotion (Is Facebook the new Myspace?)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Web Promotion (Is Facebook the new Myspace?)

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

can't we just BAN myspace ;)?

Facebook + Soundcloud FTW... or not?
How do you get your events listed on a facebook page?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Decktonic

Re: The big Myspace/Facebook ADD ME thread

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

As much as Myspace sucks these days, there's nothing nearly as effective as Myspace used to be for self-promotion. I'm still waiting for the next big thing to come along.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Decktonic wrote:As much as Myspace sucks these days, there's nothing nearly as effective as Myspace used to be for self-promotion. I'm still waiting for the next big thing to come along.
Are you sure? I think hardly anyone is still using myspace (but I could be wrong) so the social function is as good as dead, Myspace hasn't changed its slogan for nothing....

I think it's all about the Facebook Likes now

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Web Promotion (Is Facebook the new Myspace?)

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm

You can add an event calendar, store, soundcloud, and many more plugins..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-Shad ... 6167614127

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 pm

I know some people like to use Myspace to showcase their songs because the page is much more customizable than soundcloud.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Myspace is struggling hard too keep up. All the new features really bog down some computers, so it's almost useless to me at this point.

Facebook definitely has ease of use and organization set up pretty well. The ability to use the "boxes" and place them in the sidebar is nice, you can have you events and a music player just a quick scroll down as soon as you're on the page. Also their linking system is pretty convenient. However, the music player has been a real pain recently. I've given up on it, I still use it for posting dates and collecting friends for my band but the music player...

Soundcloud, you just can't beat it for a music player. Not fancy with profiles or comments though.

What I've doing is just linking my soundcloud to my facebook, I gotten good response from fans, they like the soundcloud widget.

My vote is Facebook+Soundcloud.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Syscrusher wrote:I know some people like to use Myspace to showcase their songs because the page is much more customizable than soundcloud.
that's true, but I'm SO GLAD facebook isn't graphically customizable

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
Decktonic wrote:As much as Myspace sucks these days, there's nothing nearly as effective as Myspace used to be for self-promotion. I'm still waiting for the next big thing to come along.
Are you sure?
I said "used to be."

I've been working with Facebook for a long time and it's not that effective. At this point your best bet is getting picked up by the blogs and showing up on Hype Machine or something.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

soultron

Post by soultron » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 am

I've gotten more shows from sending our press,videos and sound cloud than I ever got with Myspace. I've actually contacted people through Myspace, only to have them send me their email or facebook. Best bet is to have stuff everywhere really. Use anything you can get your hands on. For instance, Have you blokes heard of thesixtyone.com?
http://www.thesixtyone.com/#/ddsluggers/ It's kinda like last.fm, but a little easier to submit music. Very straight forward. I love bandcamp, I just wish people could find our stuff there easier. A google search of us goes straight to Myspace. I hate that.

tamapech

Post by tamapech » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 am

Hey you can try http://flavors.me
It gives you a basic but professional looking webpage. The upgraded version allows it with more customization.
Look in http://flavors.me/directory for great examples on how to use for your promotion. You can connect it with your social media webpages, even with soundcloud. I just started mine, I only need to add my own content. :mrgreen:
http://flavors.me/tamapech (work-in-progress)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 am

Soundcloud has been great. Bandcamp really is just a web store. Facebook is so-so... events are definitely the best part. I try to be everywhere, but nothing really works for pure "promotion." I think right now live shows are important, so I'm gonna do that as much as I can.