Does the DS-10+ really do 12 voices simultaneously?

Coyote

Does the DS-10+ really do 12 voices simultaneously?

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi gang, total newb here, with a very basic question.

I've seen a lot of hype about how the DS-10 Plus can do 12 simultaneous voices, but outside of press releases and reviews (and the back of the box) I can't seem to find any evidence that this is the case. I've read the manual, searched online, I've tried fiddling with Song mode, but it seems like all you really gain with Dual mode is double the number of patterns.

Does the Korg DS-10 Plus really do 12 voices at once?

Sorry for the incredibly basic question, but a lot of searching hasn't yielded a straight answer yet.

Decktonic

Re: Does the DS-10+ really do 12 voices simultaneously?

Post by Decktonic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 pm

12 voices = 2 instruments on Deck A + 4 drum tracks on Deck A + 2 instruments on Deck B + 4 drum tracks on Deck B.

So with a Nintendo DSi, the KORG DS10+ software can do 12 voices at once.

BUT it can't do that with a Nintendo DS or DS Lite.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Okay. Next question, how do I turn it on? The manual only has instructions on playing A, B, or A then B.

Again, sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm

to get 12 Voices - on First Menu screen - select Single Player - the select dual mode.
It will tehn ask you to load a File onto Deck A
It will repeat this and ask you to load a File onto Deck B

Then the keyboard will come up - press Play and it will play deck A and B simultaneously thus giving you 12 voices.

Change which Deck (A or B) you are operating using the L button

It takes a little getting used to as it can get confusing as to which Deck you are using.

Incidentally - if you have a Pirate copy of Ds10+it probably won't allow you to do Dual Mode.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm

No no, I'm legit, got the manual and a DSi XL and everything. Just extremely confused. :D

Does it work in Song mode as well?

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Yes, it works in song mode. - especially well. :)

Try doing this. . . .

in Single player Single mode - write a 1 pattern melody with 1 type of voice in Syn1
do a different melody in Syn2 but with a distinctly different type of voice.
Save this file as Test1

start a new file do the same except with another two different voices in syn1 and syn2 - different to those in Test1

Save this as Test2

Restart the Ds-10+ - select single player - Dual mode and load Test1 onto Deck A and Test2 onto Deck B

Press play and you should hear all 4 voices playing at once....

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks for the suggestion!

Made a little test track on my way home, and I even separated them to opposite panning just to make sure I actually heard it. Yes, finally, I hear all 12 voices. :D

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 am

In the future though, realize that you can load up dual mode from the start and write all the tracks at the same time.

BE CAREFUL ABOUT SAVING. Make sure you're on the A deck when you want to save the A deck patterns and on the B deck when you save the B deck patterns.

About song mode:

Playing in A-B mode simply doubles your working length for song mode. Once it plays the final pattern (100?) on deck A it will go right onto the first pattern you have set up on deck B.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:08 am

I think you can even play 16 voices at once if you set a different pitch in your VCO1/VC02 and modulate it using the kaaos pad ... though it's a trick :) I also did some chords sample in the drums, so you can always have more voices ;)

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes, you can in fact get 16 voices - -lol I was going to mention that fact but it's a bit overkill for someones first day on the DS10+.

Good thinking about the Panning seperation ;) I didn't really discover the full benefits of DUAL mode until 2 months down the line!!!! then I spent a week setting up test tracks to see what it could do.

It's HUGE isn't it!
And it can get very confusing as Deck A and Deck B look the same - you have to keep an eye on which deck you're on when you're editing. A great shame that you can't run Song mode in Multiplayer.....

One tip for song mode - if you want to play an intro piece just once and then not repeat it- set it up in the later bars - leave some blank bars between the main body and the intro and then start the whole piece from the first bar of the Intro set - the sequencer will loop back to Bar 1 once the intro is played and then never revisit it.... :)

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 am

16 voices? Madness! I'm only just starting to learn! Still... handy to know, I wondered if there was some way to separate the two oscillators enough to play chords or an approximation of same.

Thanks again for all the advice tho. I had a lot of misconception about how song mode and patterns were set up, and you'd handled them tidily. Now, I just need to actually do something with it. :D

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 am

separate the two oscillators enough to play chords or an approximation of same
Definitively it is a must-have method for playing chords on the ds-10, with the plus version you have more freedom thanks to the new deck. Search on the forum for more details (how to create chords).