3DS synth ideas?

bryface

3DS synth ideas?

Post by bryface » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

With all the extra processing power and other doodads that the 3DS comes with, i thought it'd be neat for us to throw around some ideas about how a synth program could best use this functionality.

Maybe we can use this discussion to nudge the folks at Detune to work on a new synth! though i suspect they're already working on such a product and are playing it close to their chest - in which case maybe our suggestions might make it into the final product, who knows!

or, we could form a rival development studio and lay claim to all the vast riches! ololololo

- the extra CPU power could definitely be used for more effects or oscillators, no doubt. a good reverb would be great.
- the analog joystick circle pad could be used as a 2-axis control. pitchbend/modulation would be the obvious application, but i'm sure each axis could be assigned to other parameters no problem.
- the 3-axis gyroscope and accelerometer could be used for realtime control of parameters, too.
- the two cameras on the top side could be used in conjunction with some nifty surface tracking to make the 3DS behave differently if you slide it left/right/up/down on a tabletop.
- i always thought a download play + sync feature would be super useful. basically you'd send a "lite" version of the synth software wirelessly to another DS, along with whatever song/bank data you want to bundle up with it, then the other DS could operate as a tempo-synced slave to your 3DS.

powerrave

Re: 3DS synth ideas?

Post by powerrave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:21 pm

sounds awesome. though i am unsure about that idea of the camara's.
my RP forum. yeah... pretty much all i need a sig for.

Tao

Post by Tao » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:27 am

First I think they should Combine the M01 interface/sequencer with the MS-10 synth. But I think they sould go farther than that! With all that extra processor power we should be able to have a couple of other synths in a future KORG 3DS!

I mean there are a lot of cool KORG synths and if we can combine them our songs will be more than just chiptunes!
Hopefully there will be some arpeggiopart to!

Looking forward to see what they are planning on next :)

resonator

Post by resonator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 pm

hope to see the WAVESTATION, whether it's 3D or not. :)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Tao wrote:I mean there are a lot of cool KORG synths and if we can combine them our songs will be more than just chiptunes!
Hopefully there will be some arpeggiopart to!
New synths would be cool like perhaps a Korg MonoPoly but I don't see how the DS-10 limits one to making only chiptunes. Plenty of people on this forum make music that has little to no resemblance to the chiptune aesthetic.

I agree that an arpeggiator function would be nice.