Compilation idea: The Haunted Mansion

Syscrusher

Re: Compilation idea: The Haunted Mansion

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 am

Here is The Ballroom final. Wish I had a bit more time to work on the "string" part; it's a little clunky. This is just two dual mode songs stacked - one is strictly strings.

http://soundcloud.com/syscrusher/the-ballroom

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 am

--
Last edited by Geolm on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bryface

Post by bryface » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 am

GAH i kept thinking the deadline was postponed till August. Sorry! Did i see that wrong?

Anyway my entry's almost done, i just need to record it live but i think i'd like to give it 24 hrs for the sounds to settle into their final form first, if that's alright.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 am

@Geolm:

Robowist already stated that:

"The melody (more like a chord progression) comes from a funeral march by Henry Purcell, and I've taken considerable inspiration from John Cage (I'm hoping the final version clocks in at 4' 33"). "

I see no problem in that since his approach, mixing two very different sources, is actually original (also, I'm thinking, matches with the library space idea).

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:48 am

robowist wrote:I love it: Sound quality of the Music Room was pretty good when listening through headphones. The sense of sound space in the track was quite nice, and I liked the subtlety and nuances of that middle section. Bravo!
Thanks a lot, man. I really worked hard on this one, even if most of the time was spent in removing glitches and make transitions, haha.

I'm wondering, by the way, how far is your inspiration in Cage for your track, besides of the 4'33''...Is it more a "feel" or did you follow any more specific compositional method?.

robowist

Post by robowist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:I'm wondering, by the way, how far is your inspiration in Cage for your track, besides of the 4'33''...Is it more a "feel" or did you follow any more specific compositional method?.
I didn't apply a rigorous Cage method. I was interested in playing with the idea of ambient noises that get amplified in our consciousness when we are confronted with silence (which seemed appropriate for a haunted library). Initially, I thought of giving silence a greater role in the piece, but those ideas weren't yielding good results. So I took Syscrusher's suggestion on my WIP and worked more extensively with the emergent ambient noises. I also was thinking about tensions between dissonance and harmony; arhythmic and rhythmic elements; and cacophony and melody. Experiencing those tensions is part of Cage's appeal for me. By contrast, part of the appeal of composers like Purcell is they are so mathematical and non-random. So the idea of merging Purcell and Cage seemed like it would be productive.

I am inspired to play with some Cagesque compositional methods in another Korg DS project. I'll post the idea today or tomorrow in a different thread . . . and I'll definitely want some input. :idea:

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:35 pm

robowist wrote:I am inspired to play with some Cagesque compositional methods in another Korg DS project. I'll post the idea today or tomorrow in a different thread . . . and I'll definitely want some input. :idea:
Can't wait to hear the result!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Here is The Ballroom final. Wish I had a bit more time to work on the "string" part; it's a little clunky. This is just two dual mode songs stacked - one is strictly strings.

http://soundcloud.com/syscrusher/the-ballroom
Very nice. Please make it downloadable for AudioArtist.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:56 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Very nice. Please make it downloadable for AudioArtist.
Right, I will; although I also sent it to his hotmail...

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Alright! I think sending big files through e-mail is not such a good idea, but alas.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Alright! I think sending big files through e-mail is not such a good idea, but alas.
I used You Send It - very effective. My girlfriend uses it to send rather large design files.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Hello everyone!! Sorry I've been silent for a week or two but I had to wipe out my internet computer because I got a dirty little bug that I could not get rid of. I'll collect everything that's in so far and get back to work on it.
Any stragglers please make sure you let me know if you've finished your track and post me a memo here so I'll be reminded to grab it.
I've already got the earlier submissions finished so I should be done pretty quickly.

One question I have is: Is the version of Anthony's Entrance Hall the one he wants to use?
I saw that he posted something about re-recording it but I haven't seen anything else.

-Gabriel-

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Syscrusher wrote:
DS-10 Dominator wrote:Alright! I think sending big files through e-mail is not such a good idea, but alas.
I used You Send It - very effective. My girlfriend uses it to send rather large design files.
Yeah that works ok, if the download doesn't expire. On soundcloud you keep a better overview of all tracks though.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm

AudioArtist wrote: I've already got the earlier submissions finished so I should be done pretty quickly.
How is that possible? Get an average leveling without having all tracks on your computer :)?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:58 am

Hey guys, I haven't been around in a while, just wanted to say I'm sorry I never submitted anything, but listening to these tracks, I'm very excited to hear the final comp.

And I promise I'll start visiting more often... :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

mchl nrvs

Post by mchl nrvs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:25 am

Sorry that I have not been on here. I finished my track today and will upload it tomorrow. I am doing the bedroom. again I apologize for my tardiness on this. thanks. michael

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:34 am

robowist wrote: I didn't apply a rigorous Cage method...
Many thanks for the detailed answer. These are interesting thoughts and make the track, with all those strange interferences, much more understandable to me.

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 am

Hi, I have re-recorded and edited my track back to under 6 minutes - I just need 1 more session to finish up the last bits! ANy chance of an extension til 9th :DDDD ??
If in doubt, feed the VCO2 into something ..

bryface

Post by bryface » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Ok finally, here's my entry, "garage":

http://soundcloud.com/bryface/garage-ds ... om-haunted

i took the idea of "soundscape" to the extreme and approached it as if it were an actual foley track for an imaginary scene. it required some pretty meticulous live playing of the pattern screen, and i still think that there are certain aspects to the timing of the performance of it that i could do better. if AudioArtist is willing to allow a couple hours' worth of extra time, i think i can really nail it in a final final version. Otherwise i don't mind just submitting as-is.

There actually is a narrative that i'm trying to illustrate with the sounds in this track - But what i'm interested in is your interpretation of what is going on here =) feel free to take a guess!

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm

AudioArtist wrote:One question I have is: Is the version of Anthony's Entrance Hall the one he wants to use?
I saw that he posted something about re-recording it but I haven't seen anything else.

-Gabriel-
I'm so sorry, the song itself is awfully quiet. I've been trying to figure out how to make it louder. I'll upload a final high quality version to Soundcloud today. Sorry to leave you wondering.