DS10Forum.com Compilation #3 - The Haunted Mansion

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

DS10Forum.com Compilation #3 - The Haunted Mansion

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 am

Digital Album - Free Download http://ds10forum.bandcamp.com/
Immediate download of 23-track album in your choice of MP3 320, FLAC, or just about any other format you could possibly desire.

Please download only once, as 200 downloads per month is the max (on bandcamp)

Alternative download link: http://hotfile.com/dl/124978797/80f32e9 ... n.zip.html

1.HarleyLikesMusic - The Front Yard 02:24
2.Anthony Seeha - The Entrance Hall 04:28
3.AudioArtist - The Living Room 03:52
4.CardiacTrance - The Kitchen 06:10
5.itchidan - The Laundry Room 02:10
6.Syscrusher - The Ballroom 02:22
7.WarpToken - The Stairway 04:06
8.mchl nrvs - The Bedroom 02:45
9.WMRhapsodies - The Music Room 04:36
10.DJ Hollow Life - The Office 03:28
11.daiteng - The Sewing Room 05:50
12.Radixxs - The Bathroom 03:51
13.robowist - The Library 04:35
14.SBK - The Solarium 05:32
15.kloudygirl - The Exercise Room 03:52
16.T.M.HECTOR - The Elevator 01:08
17.bryface - The Garage 01:58
18.Tommy Creep - The Lab 03:41
19.The Industrialism - The Machine Room 04:43
20.alexusual - The Secret Control Room 05:41
21.Uncle Bibby - The Courtyard 03:00
22.Sinqlogue - The Cemetary 03:46
23.DS-10 Dominator - The Back Yard 05:19

Music by http://www.ds10forum.com members.
Only instrument used: KORG DS-10 (PLUS) for Nintendo DS.
Organised by DS-10 Dominator.
Mastered by AudioArtist.
Artwork by Tommy Creep.

released 24 July 2011
tags: ambient analogue synthesis chiptune dark ambient electronica experimental gameboy horror micromusic nintendo ds soundtrack suspense thriller
license: Some rights reserved http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Really proud!

Soon also on archive.org, first I wait to correct any potential tagging mistakes.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

AudioArtist

Re: DS10Forum.com Compilation #3 - The Haunted Mansion

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 am

The bandcamp page looks really good DS10-Dominator!! It makes me want to download even though I don't need to.
:P
Sorry for putting up some stumbling blocks in your way with the bandcamp page etc. Thanks for the credit too! :)

bryface

Post by bryface » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 am

I wanna preface this review with a confession: i never really liked drones and sounds. never really learned how to listen to them - i always prefered music with more conventional melodic/harmonic/structural elements. also, while there are those who definitely feel more comfortable making crazy sounds and drones, creating such tracks is definitely not my forte.

because of this i originally wasn't planning on contributing a track, but i'm glad i forced myself to step out of my comfort zone, because it ended up being pretty fun and it allowed me to create a track in a way i had never conceived before.

i'm also glad to be a part of this album because from listening to a lot of these the first time, i'm in great company. i'm amazed by the sheer range and quality of sounds on display in this album and i think it will definitely turn heads (by more than 180 degrees, in typical horror fashion) and really show people the DS-10's synthesis capabilities. overall, a really innovative album that takes people's conceptions of composing on the DS-10 and STABS THE CONCEPTIONS IN THE FACE.

ok, my thoughts on the tracks:

HarleyLikesMusic - The Front Yard
This track definitely sets the tone for the rest of the album gives the listener a sense of the house that they are literally walking into. The thunder effects are amazing, the subtle rumbles and gusts of wind are matched perfectly.

Anthony Seeha - The Entrance Hall
overall a suitable counterpoint to HarleyLikesMusic's soundscape, and a nice consolation for those who are expecting a more melodic/harmonic kind of album. the detuned lead is very effective. i'm glad you tried to get out of your comfort zone and away from your orthodox 4/4-with-seventh-pop-chords style, but i also think you could have went even further and tried some even more dissonant chord progressions. i will say that as it currently is, it sounds like it would fit perfectly in a Castlevania game, which might be what you were going for anyway.

AudioArtist - The Living Room
is that waterphone in the beginning? very very nice. one thing that bears mentioning is the drums in the main body of the song don't sound like they came from the DS-10, but if they did, then they are extremely excellent.

CardiacTrance - The Kitchen
i like the pulsating sub-bass effect throughout the whole track, but i'm most impressed by the metallic and glass sounds! they have a nice presence to them.

itchidan - The Laundry Room
the repeating, rising sounds actually do sound a lot like my washing machine =) i don't think i've ever described a DS-10 sound as "soapy", but well, there it is, so congrats =)

Syscrusher - The Ballroom
the dissonant chord progressions work really well and suit the Ballroom environment admirably - you totally got the creepy waltz vibe down pat. Also one of the better theremin sounds that i've heard in recent memory.

WarpToken - The Stairway
deep bass here. The standouts here were definitely the screams - the demon sounding one and the shrieks. they sound super realistic! i think it's cool how one of the higher shrieks is truncated, letting the echoes carry through. Also, the ending groove slams hard, great job!

mchl nrvs - The Bedroom
the groans at around :25 are nice, as is the scream at :46. cool crushing sound at 1:47

WMRhapsodies - The Music Room
Excellent harpsichord sound! the whole piece has an FM synthesis feel which is a rare and pleasant surprise. very strong classical melodies and construction. I like how you contrast the muted piano and the bright harpsichords. the glitchy percussion was well chosen. nice climax at the end.

DJ Hollow Life - The Office
I'd like to know what kind of messed up office you go to for work. (also nice sounds at around 2:10 onwards).

daiteng - The Sewing Room
i was glad to hear that you were doing a track because of your reputation for crazy sounds. the phasing effects are really interesting, i really get the feeling that the sewing machines are straining to keep working without falling apart. i'd really like to know how you got the bitcrushed muting effect, that's really unique!

Radixxs - The Bathroom
Is that a dripping effect at the beginning? if so, i think the drip sounds might benefit from either being at a higher octave, or by cutting off the lower bass frequencies? the sound effect near 1:42 sounds kinda like a toilet flushing - if that's the intention then it sounds pretty cool. regardless, it makes me wonder now how i would create a toilet flushing sound =)

robowist - the Library
very cool reverse effect. same with the... grandfather clock? the overall soundscape of things clicking/shutting is very effective especially with the room-styled delay. the droning chord progressions are nice and crunchy, and the more hymnal chord progressions give an almost spiritual element to the track.

SBK - The Solarium
starts out sorta boring until i realized that the sound effect was probably a sprinkler? the resulting melodies that repeat have a nice mathematical, Steve Reich quality to them.

kloudygirl - The Exercise Room
The hits at around 1:20 sound pretty good. i'm also glad that you stayed in key for this song, because that has been pretty hit-and-miss in your other tunes. i do feel, however, that the song as a whole is too industrial/acid for a compilation of this kind. i also think the delay feedback could be dialed down a bit.

T.M.HECTOR - The Elevator
short and sweet. it's a freaking elevator. =)

bryface - The Garage
o hai, that's my piece. instead of saying that the future presidents of space will hail this as the greatest work of the 21st and 22nd centuries, i'm going to ask you to take a listen and tell me what you think is going on in this track. I'm interested to see what your interpretations are and how they differ from what i had in mind when creating this piece.

Tommy Creep - The Lab
very nice bubbling at the start. the extreme stereo panning adds to the uneasiness of the track. the bass at around :55 sounds a lot like the super-aliased LSDJ bass growls that i hear a lot in various chiptunes as of late. was that deliberate? how'd you make that sound?

The Industrialism - The Machine Room
the effects pretty much make this song and give it an appropriately foreboding quality, like a demonic furnace from another dimension (i've got one of those downstairs, and let me tell you, worst purchase evar). the repeating metal clang sound strikes a nice balance of sounding realistic and not too in-your face.

alexusual - The Secret Control Room
I gotta say, i think you lucked out in picking this track because it gave you excuse to be more electronic - if only i had thought of that! the track starts off with sounding like an adventure game running off an Adlib sound card which is neat. i really like how you have these bright chord progressions and corrupt them with slooooow vibrato the second time around, and then mutate it even further with evil drones - it's like finding a secret room but then finding out that there's a catch or evil curse. nice unexpected crow sound at the end (i think).

UncleBibby - The Courtyard
the track starts off with nameless sounds'n'drones but surprises you by being a song that would fit right into a "Zombie Hallowe'en Special TV Show" kinda thing, definitely a nice twist. usually i'd say something like "fatten up the kick drums more" but i feel like you intended to give it a kind of silly vibe anyway.

Sinqlogue - The Cemetary
i thought it was supposed to be spelled "Cemetery"? maybe it's a British spelling or something, i dont' know, whatever. anyway cool wide-open soundscape/atmosphere, the timpani-sounding bass hits are nice and subtle too.

DS-10 Dominator - The Back Yard
the breathy-sounding bits at the beginning are unique. this might be a silly question but did you use any external effects? i enjoyed how a lot of the drones sound like they weren't analog at all, some of them had a "hollow" sound to them which i was surprised by. this song is a nice way of "summarizing" everything we've heard in the previous 22 tracks.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:22 am

bryface wrote: DS-10 Dominator - The Back Yard
the breathy-sounding bits at the beginning are unique. this might be a silly question but did you use any external effects? i enjoyed how a lot of the drones sound like they weren't analog at all, some of them had a "hollow" sound to them which i was surprised by. this song is a nice way of "summarizing" everything we've heard in the previous 22 tracks.
Thank and nope, this was pure DS-10 (non plus).

mchl nrvs

Post by mchl nrvs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

mchl nrvs - The Bedroom
the groans at around :25 are nice, as is the scream at :46. cool crushing sound at 1:47

thanks, i actually thought mine was very "scooby doo". I loved all the campy shows like the munsters & adams family as well as movies like forbidden zone and bettlejuice. I used up all my drums and synths for sounds so i had to really improvise to make the organized rhythm.

kloudygirl

Post by kloudygirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

great job everyone! i luvved all the tracks!!!! im really impressed with the creepy sounds everyone was able to create solely on the ds10. thanx for the critique bryface, ive been a longtime fan of urs so any thoughts u have to share about my tracks are thouroughly appreciated! im glad i stayed in key for this also ;)

i must admit i had the movie 'ghost ship' in mind when i created this track... and the soundtrack for that movie had alot of heavy beats, i think my luv for metal and industrial influences alot of my work...but ya, thanks to everyone for allowing me to be a part of this very cool comp! 'twas a spooky pleasure!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Around 35 Downloads so far :)

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:30 pm

OMG! ANPTHER BRILLIANT WORK OF GENIUS BY DS10 FORUM!

Now, if only I can get Itunes tor ecognise it as an album insteadof 23 different albums!!!!!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Cfgk24 wrote:OMG! ANPTHER BRILLIANT WORK OF GENIUS BY DS10 FORUM!

Now, if only I can get Itunes tor ecognise it as an album insteadof 23 different albums!!!!!
woops... that's a bandcamp problem then I guess... or did I do it wrong?

You can probably change Album Artist to "DS10Forum.com" in iTunes?

Radixxs

Post by Radixxs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:13 pm

It sounds great! The mastering is very well done. I feel honored to be a part of such a compilation. And thanks for the critiques bryface! The sound at 1:42 is supposed to be a bathtub.
My SoundCloud
The Disco Relocation My first DS-10 album avail. for download!
Dancing, Dancing New EP available for FREE download!

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 am

@bryface - The drums on my track are indeed DS10. The floor tom hits with the kick to fatten it up and generous amounts of low end boost in the mastering also helps make the drums sound bigger. Look for my settings/patch collection in the techinques sub-forum, you can find all my drum sounds and more there.
What is a waterphone?

Dooh!! the spelling mistake on sinqlogues' track is my fault. It is supposed to be cemetery. Is that something that you can fix DS-10 Dominator?

On your track, bryface, I envision someone pulling the car into the garage to change a tire or two or fix something or other, only to find that they are not alone. Desperate, they try to get back in he vehicle to escape but the car won't start and they're somehow locked inside. They try to escape out a window but are blocked and then whatever terrorizes them breaks the windshield climbs in and destroys them. So tell me, how rediculously far off is that?

Also, I agree the DS-10 Dominators' track does kind of summarize the whole album. I found it uncanny how the track order that DS-10 Dominator proposed way before all the tracks were in ended up working so well, almost as if it were meant to be....

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 am

No worries about the spelling. Changed already.

Cfgk24

Post by Cfgk24 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:04 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:
Cfgk24 wrote:OMG! ANPTHER BRILLIANT WORK OF GENIUS BY DS10 FORUM!

woops... that's a bandcamp problem then I guess... or did I do it wrong?

You can probably change Album Artist to "DS10Forum.com" in iTunes?
I did manage to correct this in iTunes ( I hate iTunes - I like my Nero DSi player best) by selecting all the tracks, clicking on getinfo and changing the album title. . . . . This then got rid of the 23 album covers for Haunted Mansion and replaced it with one. I a going ot learn how to put things officially into an 'Album' - I can't believe that this can't be done on Bandcamp - it is such an essential part of music publishing.....
Fortunately, on my 3ds, the files all copied over as MP3s. It is a shame that 3ds music player doesn't support album covers. . . . .

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 am

Where is this great image from, Tommy?

Tommy Creep

Post by Tommy Creep » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 am

bryface wrote: very nice bubbling at the start. the extreme stereo panning adds to the uneasiness of the track. the bass at around :55 sounds a lot like the super-aliased LSDJ bass growls that i hear a lot in various chiptunes as of late. was that deliberate? how'd you make that sound?
Looking back at the patch, nothing exciting is really going on in there, nothing on the patch screen, just a square wave on VCO 2 synced to a triangle on VCO1 with the VCO 2 pitch changing via the kaoss pad. I see what you mean about LSDJ sounding, completely unintentional (maybe subconsciously).
DS-10 Dominator wrote:Where is this great image from, Tommy?
I wish I could say that it's my house but it's not. It's by Budda Designz, I found it on http://www.officialpsds.com but there doesn't seem to be much information about the person that did it anywhere.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am

Great job everyone!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

kloudygirl

Post by kloudygirl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

this just in: the haunted mansion comp has been linked up on magicore's blog by a killer friend and awesome electronic artist tooth_eye mad luv going out to him for doin that! ^-^

everybody is really diggin this release u guys! we should all be very proud!!!

http://magicoremusic.blogspot.com/

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 am

kloudygirl wrote:this just in: the haunted mansion comp has been linked up on magicore's blog by a killer friend and awesome electronic artist tooth_eye mad luv going out to him for doin that! ^-^

everybody is really diggin this release u guys! we should all be very proud!!!

http://magicoremusic.blogspot.com/
cool! thanks for spreading the word!

50 downloads so far

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 am

I'm so happy of being there, and very proud of everybody!. It has turned out a wonderful comp and an amazing exhibition from pure sound re-creation to the more melodical stuff and the many intermediate steps between!...

I stated already many favourites and I'm still amazed by Audioartist's, The-puummmf-Indus-puuuumf-trial-puuuumf-ism..., Harley's storm and bryface's imaginary-imaginative soundtrack..., but there are many that are winning more appreciation at each listening. Seeha and Syscrusher are always great and graceful. No big deal here :D. kloudygirl's is really fun and technically astonishing. robowist's stands as a sort of eternally unsolved, musical enigma...T.M.HECTOR's elevator is perfect also in its duration. I admire DS10-Dominator's for the amazing sounds but even more because, remaining misterious in its progression, eludes any sensation of randomness and sets a perfect finale...Well, so many...

bryface wrote: the whole piece has an FM synthesis feel which is a rare and pleasant surprise

I'm very pleased you found "strong classical" elements :) . And yes, many patches there use VCO 1 to VCO 2 modulation (If I'm not wrong, one wave modulating another is the basis of FM synthesis, right?). The glitchy percussion came from the idea of to made an intro imitating and old vinyl scratch...then I discarded the idea of an intro, but finally set the same arpeggiated patterns of the outro. I wasn´t too sure about that but it has become a nice transition from mchl nrvs's track.
Last edited by WMRhapsodies on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks WMR!
WMRhapsodies wrote: And yes, many patches there use VCO 1 to VCO 2 modulation (If I'm not wrong, one wave modulating another is the basis of FM synthesis, right?). .
That's right.

- The building blocks in FM synthesis are OPERATORS. These are oscillators in the audible spectrum (20Hz-20KHz). Their amplitudes can be controlled by an envelope.

- An OPERATOR can be used as a CARRIER, an audio signal that is output to your speakers or as a MODULATOR, to reshape (modulate) the signal of another OPERATOR (CARRIER or MODULATOR).

FM8: relations between OPERATORS

FM8: the characteristics of a single OPERATOR