bryface - HOW TO DODGE LASERS: full length DS-10 album

Ultraman

Re: bryface - HOW TO DODGE LASERS: full length DS-10 album

Post by Ultraman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50 am

This album is really good, these tunes remember me GUNHEAD and other Schmup on the Nec PC engine.
You are one of the best.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Bryface, these are really amazing tunes! I know I'm a bit late in listening but, Thank you!!

brainard52

Post by brainard52 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:18 am

I really like this album :D

xGx

Post by xGx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm

I just listened to this now, but to be completely honset I was not really enjoying it as its not really my thing.

I did like some aspects of 'Ice colony', very pretty track.
I thought 'Her head is in the clouds' was well written.
'Fight town' started promising but then didn't really carry a solid groove I could get into.
Pretty sure I have heard 'a new girl appears' before somewhere, was nice to hear it again as it maybe one of the best songs this album has offered so far with its beautiful lead line.
'The final boss is Tom selleck' has an awesome bassline, though I am not so sure about that bassdrum.
'Second reality' has a cool bassline also.

Half the songs I skipped through as they were far too progessive for me.

bryface

Post by bryface » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 am

thanks for the feedback guys!

xGx, could you elaborate on what you mean by progressive? i'm not sure if that's meant to be a criticism or some kind of oblique compliment =) are you referring to certain aspects of the composition, or the collection of songs as a whole?

i made a conscious decision to traverse as many styles as i could, so i understand if listeners find that it affects an album's cohesion.

Ultraman

Post by Ultraman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 am

I think you should make a shoot them up ost

xGx

Post by xGx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:09 am

Sorry, Now that I re-read my post im sure I used the wrong word so I did not make sence. What I ment was allot of songs looped single patterns or a couple of phrazes for what seemed a long time without moving or adding enough previously muted parts making them more intresting that overall just made the songs a little dull. (One example is in one song you loop a mediocre pattern for a while then added in a very simple hihat and looped it some more but the hihat barely changed anything at all.) However this maybe because of the tempo but to me it was 'Repetative'.

I'm going to add that I did actually love the fact all you experiments and made all the songs different. You should definately keep doing that unless you find something you really like.

Repitition is something I am finding is very hard to work around on DS-10 with its limited patterns, it has to be the one thing I dispise about the program... I wish it was just more like a tracker. If a gameboy card can hold a tracker with plently of reset sounds why can't a DS cart? :P (In before R4 and nitro tracker, I tried it already and it crashed everytime after a few seconds. How can anyone be expected to work with something so unreliable?)