DS10Forum.com Compilation #2 - A Journey Through Space

motone

Re: DS10Forum.com Compilation #2 - A Journey Through Space

Post by motone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Maybe you're right and my track could have been a bit softer. But I mean it's not like music HAS to be unsaturated...
Full ACK. The "TLs SaturatedDriver" is one of the VST plugins I use most to get more warmth into a mix.
DS-10 Dominator wrote:But I can't blame Harley for that, I know that it took me a week of tweaking to get that right on the last comp.
Sorry, I didn't want to blame anyone, but I think everybody should be aware of the loudness war issue. I also did some "postmasterings" for several compilations, and it took me weeks, sometimes even months to get it finished. It's an awful task.
DS-10 Dominator wrote:Let's see how we can arrange this better for comp 3.

Most important is that we have nice tracks again :)!
Again, fully agreeing on this!

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:43 pm

motone wrote: Maybe next time we should agree on a certain volume level (RMS). Tracks that exceed this value should be lowered in volume to have a balanced volume level on the whole compilation. Just my 2 ct.
I agree.

Very suprised to see that my track goes over 0db, i allowed plenty of headroom and normalised to 0db afterwards. not sure what happened there :-? If i'd have realised i time i would have sorted it out.

I didn't notice any audible distortion while listening to the comp though, but there were a few tracks that nearly blew my ears off.

Mixing and mastering issues aside i think this compilation is UTTERLY FANTASTIC! I can't quite believe that there are no duds on it (imo) and that the tracks work so well together. I'm really proud to have been a part of something so brilliant and i'm proud of everyone else on it too! :mrgreen: Yeay for the forum!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Another thing to think of when putting together an album - beyond individual compression issues- is that the relative volume of the songs are adjusted by a mastering engineer after the songs have been individually mastered and compressed etc. For instance, softer more gentle songs (somewhat counter-intuitively) are mixed relatively low to harder more upbeat songs. This is how it makes sense - if a soft tune is followed by an upbeat tune at the same db level it takes the balls right out of the harder tune and destroys the illusion of relative loudness. Also when a harder song is followed by a soft tune mixed relatively low one will reach for the volume and turn it up the giving the next upbeat tune an extra kick when it comes in mixed relatively loud. That's an old-school psychological trick the volume-war conscious mastering engineers still use.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I had to.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Haha sorry guys, i'll give ideas for future compilations and probably not organise them.
I don't think that the saturation is as bad as some say, i think alot of it was part of the instruments people had made themselves, the way they wanted them to sound.
I believe i still have all the files from what people originally sent me so i could go over it again and only normalise.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

And also i'm not a fan of naming and shaming :/
But the deed is done and everyone and everything in life lives to learn.
Hope you all still enjoy the compilation dispite the loudness of some songs.
Stay happy guys.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Normalization is actually the cause of volume troubles not the solution. Individual songs can be normalized but when put in sequence on an album if they stay normalized to 0db then some songs will still sound louder than others. This is due to the audio phenomenon called "apparent loudness". The max db level is not the only thing that contributes to the apparent loudness. Amount of compression, overall dynamics, densitly of information are amoung the things that contribute as well. You can play a normalized Metallica song next to a normalized mellow Air song and the Air song could sound louder. The only solution (which mastering engineers do) is line up the tracks in a program like Wavelab and adjust the relative volume of the songs by ear.

By the way I don't think the problem is too bad (and naming/shaming isn't very graceful). Good job everyone on a great collection of songs! Great job pulling this all together Harley!

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm

HarleyLikesMusic wrote:Haha sorry guys, i'll give ideas for future compilations and probably not organise them.
Hey Harley, cheer up! It would be a great shame if you were never to organise another comp. I reckon when you put together 20 odd tracks from non professional musicians and release it for free, a few rough edges can be excused. i'm sure Ds10Dominator will be the first to admit there are a few volume peaks in the first comp too. I personally think this comp is the best thing ever to come out of this forum and it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for your idea and your organisation.

....artwork ain't bad either ;)

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Wow, I definitely noticed some volume differences but some of those RMS values are a little scary.
No one is to blame. I love this comp. GREAT work by everyone!
I'll throw this out there, I'm a sound engineer, and I would be willing to take on the task of mastering future projects. If you would like I can put together a few samples of my unmastered vs. mastered work.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:02 pm

HarleyLikesMusic wrote:Haha sorry guys, i'll give ideas for future compilations and probably not organise them.
I don't think that the saturation is as bad as some say, i think alot of it was part of the instruments people had made themselves, the way they wanted them to sound.
I believe i still have all the files from what people originally sent me so i could go over it again and only normalise.
I didn't mean to blame you for anything. Sorry if I did. I think it's just fine this way, nothing but respect! But there should always be room for some criticism.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

noo not you rutger! :)
sorry guys just a tad stressfull at the moment, new job, no money, having to already book time off for gigs in places ive never been too and organising transport.
it's all gone now :)
lets look forward to the next comp!

angrydroid

Post by angrydroid » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 pm

I have to say this is one of the most listenable "chiptune" compilations I've ever heard.

bryface

Post by bryface » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 am

All in all, a very well made album. everyone did well by the theme - the album has a lot of variety in it, but what i was pleasantly surprised by was how coherent the album was as a whole.. in fact, I think this album surpassed the first compilation in that regard.

Everyone has their own unique ideas of what "space" is and i really got a sense of that through the various songs and sounds - but just as apparent was a sense of what the different artists share in common. Space has a particular "sound" thematically and it became a unifying force of sorts on this compilation.

Harley, thanks for all the effort you put in this release. i'll post more detailed thoughts on the album when i have time. "stellar" work everyone lololololololo9ol ololololololo

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 pm

I agree. This album is... out of this world.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm

bryface wrote:stellar
AnthonySeeha wrote:out of this world
Look at you space cadets.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm enjoying this so much!...Don't get discouraged Harley please. Seems like putting together so many works carries some subtleness not even a guy who have made such an awesome song must be aware of!...Man, I totally love it. Is the kind of thing that make me feel little, lost in space, musically speaking :D Sorry if I missed that, but is there any place you posted the lyrics -you know, I can read english pretty well, but is hard to me to follow a song-, is it you singing?..so nicely done.

I also must say I have noticed no clipping, and agree the saturation comes from sound creation choices, like using a very short/lot of feedback delay...Also, I feel kind of relieved some of you liked my late contribution because listening at the whole thing I may would not dare to put mine there. So many beautiful and sophisticated work there!. Congrats everyone!

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

WMRhapsodies your tune is awesome, I'm very glad it is on there.

EDO

Post by EDO » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks for the Journey guys! two of my immediate favorites are Far away From View from Puffins and Haumea from Mistyminds overall nice variety in individual style in this space theme comp enjoying mucho :D

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:is there any place you posted the lyrics -you know, I can read english pretty well, but is hard to me to follow a song-, is it you singing?..so nicely done.
Yea it is me singing, only one of two tracks i have ever sung on.
"There are things we will never know at all,
answers to questions we may not solve,
don't dwell on the problems you have so small,
the universe is expanding we can't solve them all"
:)

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:26 am

About where do you set the volume sliders on DS-10 to get the "right" compression?